Considering major change

Psmucker3

Hi guys! Sorry for the abundance of recent posts but I have had so much to contemplate lately. I am a fashion design major and am doing very well in school…however I am beginning to question what exactly I want to do with my future. My dream as gradually evolved over the years from wedding dress designer and now to wanting to own my own vintage shop. I love music…Rolling Stones, Jimmi Hendrix, the whole 1960s-1980s scene. I have a good eye for design and would love to design my own store layout sometime. However, I often find myself dreading my fashion design homework in the studio. On the other hand, I am also majoring in writing and have taken various fiction courses. This semester, I am taking journalism for the first time. I love it. I have done some research and I think it would be so amazing to be an undercover journalist. I know it's dangerous and fairly controversial But I would love to go undercover in order to expose crime and injustice within large corporate groups. I know fashion design has always been my passion, but I feel like I want to do something that would really expose hidden occurrences to the world. I have a craving to disguise myself and understand the motives of people who commit crime, join gangs, etc. What should I do?!!!!

I would research about what it is needed to become that kind of journalist, because sometimes things look better than they really are, and you could find that you don't really want that line of work. Or you could discover the opposite, you never know, but before you make such a huge change or career, research about it.

Do some research about the program, the professors, and the course work. If you see yourself finding that you're wanting to do that work and work with those teachers more than what you're currently studying, and you can afford any additional fees in tuition/time it may take to complete your degree, then go for it.

I changed my major 5 times in school, and am proud to have selected and graduated with my first and final one, psychology. I cannot wait to go back to go to back to school to get my masters, once I'm ready. Currently, I'm opening my own photography business and pursuing a new passion I have found, and to save up enough money to pursue my other passion. It's possible to have multiple passions, and make them work. Just remember to be wise with your time and money, and to be kind to everyone in each field you may pursue, because you never know when you may need help, and you never want to burn any bridges along the way :)

Good luck, I'm keeping kind thoughts for you and whatever you choose to pursue :)

Have you ever tried it out?

For me it's easiest to find out whether I like something by just trying it out. :)

You could go undercover, write an article about it and try to get that published somewhere? Just a small case to see whether you really like it.

And talk to your professors about it, they can probably offer you lots of advise.

I hope it works out for you :)

Being interested in fashion design and owning some sort of vintage shop, maybe you would be interested in art management? That is what I'm currently finishing my degree in :) It's a very versatile major, with a wide variety of job opportunities (but I'm a bit biased lol)

Making life decisions is haardd! It's especially tough in college where classes cost so much

oh! and online classes are great! look at what state schools are offering online classes this summer. That could be a good opportunity to explore or dip your toes into something new

no one said you have to do 1 thing your whole life :) People change careers all the time. Do what makes you happy. You can always come back to fashion, but if youre burnt out with the homework right now then maybe you should take a break and go with journalism for a while. Its okay to have more than one love in life :P