Point me in the right direction, please?

nicolelouise

Hi all,

When I started getting back into neopets a couple of months ago, I saw stuff about the war but it was so removed from the sphere of what I was doing (remembering how to do stuff on neopets, discovering all the new lands, oohing and aahing over the changes that had been made to the lands I already new, earning money to feed my pets, shopping, helping my daughter get to grips with the place, etc etc), that I just ignored it all.

I'm still feeling a little swamped (am partway through the Altador plot, newbie in the Battledome, still don't know what the Altador Cup is all about, keep seeing the thing about The Drenched but have no idea what that's all about, you get the drift) but I get the feeling I'm missing out on some good fun if I keep my head buried in the sand.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to find out what this Obelisk War is all about? I've been to the battleground and watched the videos, but apart from that I don't know where to go. I went back to the first threads of this forum but that just confused me, because people were talking about groups like the Seekers and the Order that don't seem to be around anymore. Is the history of events important to decisions I make now?

Also, as a Battledome newbie (I've at least worked out that the battledome is involved, Go Me!), who has never played 2 person battling, am I just likely to get slaughtered over and over? Is it worth me joining up?

Advice greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I just found the guides over in the other part of TDN (why is it that I didn't think to look there BEFORE I made this thread?), so that should explain everything to me, hopefully.

If you still want to give me advice though, I'm open!

EDIT: Wait on, so there is no 2 person battling? I'll keep reading...

You can still buy cheap items to be able to win battles—such as gilded war hammer, pottery shard dagger, & jittery jipple pear potion. I get pretty great items from battledome with these weapons :)

I am not sure if the history of the obelisk war should play a part in your decision, but I have not used it to make my decisions. I hope you can find our more about it on TDN

I started reading the Challenger Guide and I don't think my pets stats are good enough to survive the second wave of opponents it listed, let alone any more than that. It did say that if you couldn't battle the new challengers, you didn't have to, you could just battle the ones you'd already been fighting against, but it also wouldn't count towards filling your 'doing my part' bar. I'm going to assume that that means you miss out on prizes or something? If you don't 'do your part'?

You can still buy cheap items to be able to win battlessuch as gilded war hammer, pottery shard dagger, & jittery jipple pear potion. I get pretty great items from battledome with these weapons :)

I am not sure if the history of the obelisk war should play a part in your decision, but I have not used it to make my decisions. I hope you can find our more about it on TDN

I just went and looked at your pets stats. In particular, your pets have a lot more hit points than mine. That's what's killing me. When I was adopting pets out of the pound, I never saw myself battling, so I wasn't checking stats or anything like that. Oh, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button if you have something to add.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

The Obelisk War is over now, so the guides that are focused on the war part aren't necessarily going to help you. Right now, we have Skirmishes. You can read about them here: http://thedailyneopets.com/obelisk-war/skirmishes

Basically, every two weeks you get an option to choose a faction. Then, for a few days, you have the chance to battle 1-P challengers from the other factions. At the end of those days, one of the 3 factions wins the skirmish, and the players who belong to that faction win a boon (and a faction-specific avatar!). The players in the other factions win an item. There's no more "doing your part" bar, like there was in the war, but you do need to complete (or win? I'm not sure) at least 10 battles in order to win the prizes. The more you battle, and the more difficult opponents you battle, the more you contribute to your faction winning.

The history of events is not really important. A lot of users choose the Thieves every time they can because the Thieves don't win often and they want to get the avatar, but you'll have to decide for yourself if that means that they are more or less likely to win.

The Obelisk War is over now, so the guides that are focused on the war part aren't necessarily going to help you. Right now, we have Skirmishes. You can read about them here: http://thedailyneopets.com/obelisk-war/skirmishes

Basically, every two weeks you get an option to choose a faction. Then, for a few days, you have the chance to battle 1-P challengers from the other factions. At the end of those days, one of the 3 factions wins the skirmish, and the players who belong to that faction win a boon (and a faction-specific avatar!). The players in the other factions win an item. There's no more "doing your part" bar, like there was in the war, but you do need to complete (or win? I'm not sure) at least 10 battles in order to win the prizes. The more you battle, and the more difficult opponents you battle, the more you contribute to your faction winning.

The history of events is not really important. A lot of users choose the Thieves every time they can because the Thieves don't win often and they want to get the avatar, but you'll have to decide for yourself if that means that they are more or less likely to win.

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know. I'd just made it to the skirmishes page in my quick self-education. I really like some of those boons! And since I don't have any of the avatars, it won't make a difference which faction I join, I guess.

You can still buy cheap items to be able to win battles—such as gilded war hammer, pottery shard dagger, & jittery jipple pear potion. I get pretty great items from battledome with these weapons :)

Why is it that nobody mentions the scroll of ultranova as a GREAT battledome weapon? With a level of 85, HP of 152, strength of 126 and defence of 120, the scroll of ultranova is my main weapon, doling out 11 attack icons. Where can you get 11 constant attack icons for 1 np??

@Neopets98, Sorry, I am not picking on you. LOL :rolleyes_anim:

It's just that, there are so many other 8,9, and 10 attack icon weapons that are so much more expensive.

Why is it that nobody mentions the scroll of ultranova as a GREAT battledome weapon? With a level of 85, HP of 152, strength of 126 and defence of 120, the scroll of ultranova is my main weapon, doling out 11 attack icons. Where can you get 11 constant attack icons for 1 np??

@Neopets98, Sorry, I am not picking on you. LOL :rolleyes_anim:

It's just that, there are so many other 8,9, and 10 attack icon weapons that are so much more expensive.

Ooh, I do like the scroll of ultranova. I've had good results with that. I also like the scroll of dark nova. So cheap. Ha, your stats are WAY better than mine. I've basically just been shoving my pets in the battledome with a different array of cheap weapons and seeing what happens. I mean, I do try and make sure they have a variety across attack, defense, dual, healing and other special items. But I've made some interesting discoveries (read mistakes) and found things I like and things I loathe but I'm aware that the weapon set I develop to beat challenger A might not cut the mustard with challenger B, so I'm still trialling stuff.

Ooh, I do like the scroll of ultranova. I've had good results with that. I also like the scroll of dark nova. So cheap. Ha, your stats are WAY better than mine. I've basically just been shoving my pets in the battledome with a different array of cheap weapons and seeing what happens. I mean, I do try and make sure they have a variety across attack, defense, dual, healing and other special items. But I've made some interesting discoveries (read mistakes) and found things I like and things I loathe but I'm aware that the weapon set I develop to beat challenger A might not cut the mustard with challenger B, so I'm still trialling stuff.

I always make sure the challenger I battle is within my ability limits. I have a neofriend, I was looking at her BD stats, and her pet has 20 hps and she is fighting not only Koi warrior, but the snowager! :woot: LOL. It is pretty clear that she isn't understanding the concept of the BD. So that is important first of all. I invested in the Greater Healing Scroll, that was the best thing I ever did, and I have lens flare. Between training and lab ray, my stats are increasing nicely now. However, the lab ray loves to decrease my level. So I am forever fighting to keep my level up. I won Ramtors spellbook and Staff of righteous fury from Neoquest 2, so those are both nice weapons I got for free while earning NPs, trophies and avatars also :rock:. (I am a HUGE neoquest 2 advocate). Still, the ridiculously heavy battle hammer and the scroll of ultranova cannot be beat power to price. For beginner/intermediate defense weapons, Virtupets X-514 Super Shield is super cheap and blocks 10-12 icons.

I always make sure the challenger I battle is within my ability limits. I have a neofriend, I was looking at her BD stats, and her pet has 20 hps and she is fighting not only Koi warrior, but the snowager! :woot: LOL. It is pretty clear that she isn't understanding the concept of the BD. So that is important first of all. I invested in the Greater Healing Scroll, that was the best thing I ever did, and I have lens flare. Between training and lab ray, my stats are increasing nicely now. However, the lab ray loves to decrease my level. So I am forever fighting to keep my level up. I won Ramtors spellbook and Staff of righteous fury from Neoquest 2, so those are both nice weapons I got for free while earning NPs, trophies and avatars also :rock:. (I am a HUGE neoquest 2 advocate). Still, the ridiculously heavy battle hammer and the scroll of ultranova cannot be beat power to price. For beginner/intermediate defense weapons, Virtupets X-514 Super Shield is super cheap and blocks 10-12 icons.

One of my pets has the Virtupets X-514 Super Shield, as well as the ridiculously heavy battle hammer. Can't remember off the top of my head what else he's got. Basically, I've outfitted one of my pets quite well, the next one reasonably well, and then the last two have got the scraps and dregs and get the most testing of crap weapons done with them. Those two are actually my weakest pets, but I'm not training them up to be battledome pets. I guess I'm trying to see how much you can get away with not having or what you can do with very little. And I'm trying to be very conscious of who I battle. So far, I've not gone past Donny. I just wanted to get the hang of things first. But I need to stretch my wings a bit.

Which reminds me... With the war, do you have to nominate one pet that you battle with or can you battle with all/any of them?

EDIT: Is neoquest 2 a plot or a game?

One of my pets has the Virtupets X-514 Super Shield, as well as the ridiculously heavy battle hammer. Can't remember off the top of my head what else he's got. Basically, I've outfitted one of my pets quite well, the next one reasonably well, and then the last two have got the scraps and dregs and get the most testing of crap weapons done with them. Those two are actually my weakest pets, but I'm not training them up to be battledome pets. I guess I'm trying to see how much you can get away with not having or what you can do with very little. And I'm trying to be very conscious of who I battle. So far, I've not gone past Donny. I just wanted to get the hang of things first. But I need to stretch my wings a bit.

Which reminds me... With the war, do you have to nominate one pet that you battle with or can you battle with all/any of them?

EDIT: Is neoquest 2 a plot or a game?

I am EXACTLY the same. lol. One pet has the high stats and good weapons, one pet has mediocre stats and mediocre weapons. Then I have my weak pets with left over weapons.

For the obelisk war, you can fight which ever pet you want. You have to fight in at least 10 battles, fight at your pet's level. the pets you need to fight will show up at the end of the battledome challenger list. They start with a difficulty level of 8 and go up to 500. So there is a level for everyone. as far as which faction to join, it is a matter of LUCK, period. Eventually you WILL pick the right one and win the avatar and boons. Boons are special prizes for winning. Such as extra bank interest, faerie quest refresh, etc. Pick your faction and i will help you with the rest.

Neoquest 2 is a role playing game. jellyneo has a map to guide you through the worlds and levels. You start on the easy level, get an avatar and trophy and nps, and keep going through the worlds. Because there is a lot of refreshing involved, you get a LOT of random events. I will pm you.

I am EXACTLY the same. lol. One pet has the high stats and good weapons, one pet has mediocre stats and mediocre weapons. Then I have my weak pets with left over weapons.

For the obelisk war, you can fight which ever pet you want. You have to fight in at least 10 battles, fight at your pet's level. the pets you need to fight will show up at the end of the battledome challenger list. They start with a difficulty level of 8 and go up to 500. So there is a level for everyone. as far as which faction to join, it is a matter of LUCK, period. Eventually you WILL pick the right one and win the avatar and boons. Boons are special prizes for winning. Such as extra bank interest, faerie quest refresh, etc. Pick your faction and i will help you with the rest.

Neoquest 2 is a role playing game. jellyneo has a map to guide you through the worlds and levels. You start on the easy level, get an avatar and trophy and nps, and keep going through the worlds. Because there is a lot of refreshing involved, you get a LOT of random events. I will pm you.

Thank you! I ended up joining the Theives Guild. I mean, I have none of the avatars, so in that sense it doesn't really matter, the boon I'm particularly interested in looks to be offered by both The Sway and The Thieves Guild, and so many people on here are joining the Thieves Guild and I wanted to share the experience with them, either celebrating or commiserating.