Stock Market Downturn- Any theories?

It would appear I picked the worst possible time to get hardcore about the stock market. I'm buying my 1000 shares/day faithfully, but let's talk about how it's been less than a month and my port is 68% in the red. I'm told it's never been this bad before, are there any other stock marketers around with theories? Guesses about how quickly it'll fly back up soonish?

I can't give you a theory, I've only been back for about a year and trading less than that, but I can tell you for sure that you're not alone. Whether I buy the expensive lots, a few at a time, or a thousand of the cheap lots (or any mixture of the two), I'm always, always in the red. Someone's advice was just wait it out," but after holding on to a stock for three to four months, I gave up. But I tried again, and have had the same problem. Maybe TNT is just trying to model their market after the real life one? Doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun, but it's just a theory.

If I'm recalling past editorials correctly, the stock market is 100% randomly generated. No one sets it. So there's no way of knowing when it'll go back up- it just will at a point. If it stays really bad for long enough TNT might nudge the algorithm, but it'll have to be really bad for a really long time for them to even consider it.

Nope. No theories here either. I just spend my 1000-stocks-a-day quota on any company I stumbled upon and cross my finger that one of them will hit my selling price one day. Just be patient and wait it out. Stock markets have always been considered as a long term option anyway, so I don't really expect to gain any short-term profit.

And yes, the stock markets are randomly generated. If I recall it was affected by the users' buying and selling patterns at some point waaaay back in the past. To simulate real-life supply-demand law and all that I suppose. But guilds were beginning to manipulate the stock prices to their favor and the competitions went ugly fast so TNT decided to make it random instead.

If I'm recalling past editorials correctly, the stock market is 100% randomly generated. No one sets it. So there's no way of knowing when it'll go back up- it just will at a point.

Bad case of RNG it would seem. I hate RNG -.-

Bad case of RNG it would seem. I hate RNG -.-

D:

Don't say that!! The Random Number God will be mad and everything will be worse than before. All the stock companies might even go bankrupt at the same time!!!!

Now we have to appease the RNG by sacrificing a digital offering to them!! *goes to get the digital ritual circle.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been playing the Market? How many companies/shares have you invested?

I find new players to the Stock Market tend to be more impatient than older players, just because they think that they'll get a profit in the first few months of playing. I didn't see a large payoff until about 7-8 months into the Market, after building my portfolio up to over 25 companies and over 100k shares (that's granted I did the 15/30 method to pay for my port to build itself)

I only say this because any experienced SMer will never ever look at their stock totals and say the market is bad because their entire port is in the red. They will have enough stocks that are still over 100% that can be sold at any time. There are always slow-moving stocks that will sit at ~6 for years then suddenly boom into 100+, while some always play around 30-40 before dropping out completely after their run.

It takes time to observe these trends, most of the time when stocks are low, it's because 2-3 companies have hit over 100 in the last few months, which they have this year (BOTT and SWNC), and it'll probably linger on like this for another month or so before showing any signs of recovering. It'll go through a slow period a few months a year, last year it was around April-June, and the year before that it was August-October, so contrary to what you've been told, it "gets this bad" a few months a year.

What I'm trying to say is, there are some trends, yes, but it's mostly completely random when stocks will go up or down. Frankly, I like it when stocks are low, it gives me a chance to load up on the companies I've sold off in the last few months ;)

D:

Don't say that!! The Random Number God will be mad and everything will be worse than before. All the stock companies might even go bankrupt at the same time!!!!

Now we have to appease the RNG by sacrificing a digital offering to them!! *goes to get the digital ritual circle.

I really LOLed by reading this!!! :D :D :D

But anyways, I agree with Rune Valentine. Actually that's the very reason I'm not a SMer - I just don't have the patience it takes. Here's a tip: if you want quick profit, try the Food Club. That's what I do, at least ;)

I have been doing stocks religiously for the past 2 years. I sadly have to agree that ALL but two of my stocks in the past month have been in the red!!! But you do have to be patient and wait it out, keep buying your stocks. When it comes back around, its so profitable. I never sell unless my stocks are in the green over 100% increase and then I easily make SO MUCH NP. The stocks are all about diligence and patience. In the meantime, dont focus on selling, keep your mind on buying. Once you hit over 1 million np in stocks, you get a nice avatar :)

(When I earned that avvie it was so exciting!!)

Out of curiosity, how long have you been playing the Market? How many companies/shares have you invested?

I have been playing stocks for 2 years. I have 105,119 shares and have invested currently 1,566,808 NP in stocks.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. Use the edit button if you have something to add.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I find new players to the Stock Market tend to be more impatient than older players, just because they think that they'll get a profit in the first few months of playing. I didn't see a large payoff until about 7-8 months into the Market, after building my portfolio up to over 25 companies and over 100k shares (that's granted I did the 15/30 method to pay for my port to build itself)

I only say this because any experienced SMer will never ever look at their stock totals and say the market is bad because their entire port is in the red. They will have enough stocks that are still over 100% that can be sold at any time. There are always slow-moving stocks that will sit at ~6 for years then suddenly boom into 100+, while some always play around 30-40 before dropping out completely after their run.

It takes time to observe these trends, most of the time when stocks are low, it's because 2-3 companies have hit over 100 in the last few months, which they have this year (BOTT and SWNC), and it'll probably linger on like this for another month or so before showing any signs of recovering. It'll go through a slow period a few months a year, last year it was around April-June, and the year before that it was August-October, so contrary to what you've been told, it "gets this bad" a few months a year.

What I'm trying to say is, there are some trends, yes, but it's mostly completely random when stocks will go up or down. Frankly, I like it when stocks are low, it gives me a chance to load up on the companies I've sold off in the last few months ;)

My port is just shy of 100,000 shares, I've been at it for a couple of months. I'm frustrated because I'm paying for my stock habit with games (I'm a terrible restocker and I can't manage to unlock my habi) and the timesuck definitely wears on you over time.

When I posted this the other day, I'd just calculated the average stock price. Not including bankruptcies, it hit a low of 12.8 (even with VPTS sky-high). That seemed pretty remarkably low, and it had been dropping steadily for a few weeks. It's up around 60 now, which is definitely improvement! It was definitely the new low average stock price that got me all fatalistic about the market. (Frequently I wonder whether I really want to be watching the median stock price to leave outliers like VPTS out of that calculation, but that would have been even more depressing)

On the upside, at least I've been able to sock away a lot of reliably-earning stocks to get started with!

My port is just shy of 100,000 shares, I've been at it for a couple of months. I'm frustrated because I'm paying for my stock habit with games (I'm a terrible restocker and I can't manage to unlock my habi) and the timesuck definitely wears on you over time.

When I posted this the other day, I'd just calculated the average stock price. Not including bankruptcies, it hit a low of 12.8 (even with VPTS sky-high). That seemed pretty remarkably low, and it had been dropping steadily for a few weeks. It's up around 60 now, which is definitely improvement! It was definitely the new low average stock price that got me all fatalistic about the market. (Frequently I wonder whether I really want to be watching the median stock price to leave outliers like VPTS out of that calculation, but that would have been even more depressing)

On the upside, at least I've been able to sock away a lot of reliably-earning stocks to get started with!

12.8? I don't think so. The market has been hovering at around ~2400, and there are 43 stocks, maybe you divided wrong?

Yes, there are times when you have nothing to sell for a long time, and some times there are plenty of stocks to sell. Just be patient. :)

To be honest, the Stock Market is less of a numbers game and more of a waiting game. Just buy at 15 and sell high when a stock goes up, and buy lots of different companies to increase your chances. No use watching them day in and day out, because nothing affects the Neopian Stock Market except random luck :P And when you're trying to build a port it's not advisable to buy high stocks (VPTS, KSON) because they fluctuate so much and it's a lot more frustrating when you watch your stocks all the time.

If you're having a hard time keeping up with your stock buying, I suggest playing 15/30. Buy at 15 and sell at 30, so you have the 15k to buy your next stock. Eventually your port will start paying for itself, although it takes a while. I had my port paying for itself within the first three months. It's a lot easier and less frustrating this way. I've been playing the Stock Market for 6 years, and have learned to value of sitting on a number of stocks patiently.

Ive been playing with the stocks for years and I try to buy daily. I only buy at 15, and will buy whatever I have least of in my portfolio. I sell usually when a stock reaches 65+ although if I want to buy something, I may sell at 45+. I currently have 118000 shares and most are in the red at the moment which is the first time I can remember. Over the long term I have definitely made more that I've spent.

12.8? I don't think so. The market has been hovering at around ~2400, and there are 43 stocks, maybe you divided wrong?

Yes, there are times when you have nothing to sell for a long time, and some times there are plenty of stocks to sell. Just be patient. :)

*checks files* lawdy me, you're right. I managed to copy the formulas for my behavioral data from my srs bsns science sheets into my just-for-fun Neo ones.

Well now that's just embarrassing. *skulks back to basic stats in shame*

At least there are lots of good tips in this thread for people who want to get started?

If you're having a hard time keeping up with your stock buying, I suggest playing 15/30. Buy at 15 and sell at 30, so you have the 15k to buy your next stock. Eventually your port will start paying for itself, although it takes a while. I had my port paying for itself within the first three months. It's a lot easier and less frustrating this way. I've been playing the Stock Market for 6 years, and have learned to value of sitting on a number of stocks patiently.

This is definitely the point I'm at. Unfortunately, with the market the way it's been I've only made three sales in the last three and a half (sh) months. On the bright side, when it does pick up I'll have plenty to keep my port going with!

Unfortunately, with the market the way it's been I've only made three sales in the last three and a half (sh) months. On the bright side, when it does pick up I'll have plenty to keep my port going with!

Take heart! I've only made 2 or 3 this year! Of course, I always wait until 60.. ^__^