Yeah...this is annoying

Naamah D.

Even though I'm graduated there's something that still is bothering me. I really want to work with kids, but I've been expected to be perfect in the past and was basically told that I have to be. I can't help that I'm not a cruel person who yells at kids and bosses them around nor can I help that I'm not a "good role model". I really dislike saying the pledge because I don't care if God exist. Maybe he doesn't, maybe he does so why should I have to fake what I believe and lie to those kids?!

I'm not a good role model in other people's eyes. I'm a lazy bum outside of work. I sit around, play video games, write a novel with demonic themes in it (which was taken out of my resume by the person who edited it), I'm basically the kind of person who sits in my room (I call it my lair) and hates going outside. I hate gardening because it becomes a hassle. It's really boring to plant seeds and shovel.

Oh,and I was also told to tell kids how much I love to read. First of all, I like, I repeat like to read. I like comic books and manga for the most part as well as my demonology encyclopedia. When it comes to chapter books I don't read a lot. One, two or three chapters a day is okay, but after that reading becomes a chore. Then there comes eating healthy. I eat junk food. I don't live off of junk food, but I've attempted an eating disorder.

I also have horrible grammar and I get tongue-tied.

tl,dr I'm sorry that I'm not perfect. God (if he exist) must have colored outside the lines with a permanent marker. I can't change who I am because that's who I've always been.

Sorry for the long post.

Honestly if you have a passion for working with kids you should be able to find an environment that allows you to do so.

My degree is in English education and I have taught with graphic novels in the past. In my opinion (and in that of a lot of my colleagues) the concept of reading has shifted a lot in the past 15-20 years. It is no longer about what a child reads as much as the fact that they are reading. Plain and simple.

As far as your dietary preferences, no offense, but who cares?! It is not the concern of your potential employer what you are eating - whether you work with kids or not. The same thing goes for what you do in your personal time - your employer is paying you for when you are at work, they should not dictate what you do in your free time.

That being said, it does take a certain kind of person to work with kids (I'm not sure what age group you are referring to - I work with ages 12-18 and that can be a challenge). If you feel like you are constantly frustrated/upset with them you may want to consider working with another age group or finding another job that allows you to work with kids but in a different way?

In my opinion it sounds like you just happen to have a crappy employer at the moment.

Oh and don't apologize for long posts - sometimes you need to say what you need to say :)

I understand the feeling, my problem is for me is there are either kids can either be the sweetest things in world

or mini hitlers who are out to take over the planet and destroy everything in sight. I used to be in the Big Brother Big Sister program and I found that I love working with older kids ages 10+

*still wishes I could revert back to elementary school*

who IS perfect?? I sure haven't met anyone. I'm weird, and proud! lol I've never had a job working with kids, but I'm tempted to get a degree in art education after my painting degree. I actually never said the pledge when I was in school. I can't remember the last time that I actually did. It's not just the God thing for me. I'm not going to get into saying the pledge at school every morning, but I always stood up, and as long as you have your back turned than who would know you're not saying it? ;)

sometimes what we really want to do in life requires some sacrifice. Sometimes it takes a bit of work, even some that we might not want to do to prepare ourselves.

You don't need to change who you are at all! I think it's cool that you read your demonology encyclopedia! :) I know elementay school teachers who don't like to read anything. But they familiarize themselves with important pieces of literature, even though it's a chore and they might not necessarily enjoy it. I have TERRIBLE grammar myself, but if I wanted to to something that required substantial knowledge, then absolutely yes, I would get help, or take classes in grammar. even though I would have no fun doing it.

I'm sorry if your boss or instructors or anyone else (I hope it;s not your peers) is telling you to change who you are or bullying you about your choice of food. That's not right. I don't see what wrong with encouraging healthy eating with children and the love of books. I don't know why you should be pressured to changing your ways though.

There are a lot of jobs that work with kids! You can help out with a daycare, work at a children's museum, work at a summer camp. My mom's a secretary at a speech therapy office, and she works with kids :) I hope you find a job that better suits you...or better employers!

I want to paint but I get told constantly how I would never make it. I've been told my style is too diverse, that I don't specialize in one type of medium or one type of subject matter. I like to do figure drawing but I also enjoy landscapes. I was denied from the BFA program because of that. they told me exactly that "you're one of the most talented people in your age groups but you are skilled at too many things and don't have a passion in any one medium or subject matter" really, I'm not in the BFA program because I like enjoy dong too many things -_- You don't know how many times my instructors have flat out said "this is really bad" or "I don't like this at all" or "this is boring". Art stinks because it's all subjective, people have preferences when it comes to art and style. I'm sure other careers are subjective as well. Different employers look for different kinds of people

anyways, all careers have their obstacles, if it's something you're passionate about, don't let bullies get in your way! Show them your skills when it comes to working with childen :)

I wish you so much luck in your career, don't ever feel like you need to change who you are! be proud of your quirks! :) who wants to be perfect? yuck.

Everyone here said what I was going to say. Stay true to yourself. No one else in this world is exactly like you. No one is perfect, and you may need to change your working environment, but not yourself. :)