gender confused Pets

8ahamut

Morning all,

is it just me or is there limited choice for Male pet's when it comes to customisation ?

Looking through the NC mail at the super packs, there is only a limited ammount, or looking through other bits and pieces. I've missed a few of the morphing NC items that would look cool on my Grarrl, but a dress and a girly wig doesnt give off the impression of i'm male and look at my lazer sword and guy stuff !!

thoughts ?

It is true that there are more feminine clothes on the site than masculine ones. Part of this is due to the fact that feminine clothing is known to have more diversity- both in types of garments (dresses, skirts, ect), and in color (most masculine clothes are in darker, more neutral colors, while most feminine clothes are a riot of color). Of course, Neopets needs not be limited by the traditional choices of real life clothes designers. I'd love to see more masculine clothes in general, and from there more brightly colored masculine clothes. A line of pantsuits in every color would, perhaps, be a good start.

My draik is dressed up as daenerys from Game of Thrones :D ...I couldn't help but think that wig was designed with game of thrones in mind lol... although, unlike neopets, Game of Thrones is NOT for children

but yeah, customizing my male faerie lenny has been difficult XP lol I wanted to dress him more masculine, but I don't see why boys can't wear skirts! :)

I recently studied gender and clothing in one of my classes, very interesting. But yes we discussed how in the real world, women have so many more options lol (and there's such a variety of styles to choose from-dresses for example and accessories)

oh and the majority of neopian players are female (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopets) The large amount of "feminine" clothing probably results in the demand from users who frequent the NC mall...They have to appeal to the audience who's buying

Indeed, there is a severe lack of masculine clothes. Most of my neopets are male but many of the customizations I have in mind for them or already use on them are intended for females. So I just put on some eyeshadow on them to pass them as female. /haha I don't mind that; it's somewhat easier to pass male pets as female (since they lack those long eyelashes that most female pets have), but it would be really nice to get more male clothes. As Anime said, they shouldn't be limited by ''real life'' designers choices when it comes to clothes and gender roles. It's limiting and doesn't help put an end to sexism and inequality in the broadest sense of the terms. Men's clothes can be bright and a lot of fun to design, as long as they don't limit themselves to what's the norm right now. I don't care that much about the gender of my pets, as long as I can get a nice customization for them. Gender shouldn't matter at all actually, they should just make clothes that range from feminine to masculine so it can suit anyone, whether they're male, female, agender, queer or ''insert gender identity here''. As I already mentioned, I think it would be awesome to get more masculine clothes. ;D So... : Dear TNT, if you check out these forums, please add more masculine wearables! Most of us users would think it would be great. Thanks. :)

8ahamut: Yeah, it would be really nice to get more masculine sci-fi and medieval clothes! I had a hard time deciding whether I should create a Grundo instead of a Shoyru or Techo just because of those awesome ''geek wearables'' Grundos have and all the other pets apparently lack. D: It would be great to have one pet to somewhat represent me instead of just a bunch of nice looking neopets which lack both personality and backstory. :/ I'll probably create a Grundo, they're just pure greatness thanks to those wearables, just sad I won't be able to create both the Techo and the Shoyru unless I get premium. I would purchase a premium account if they let us keep the 5th pet slot... but nooo, they don't. Aargh, TNT, let us get more pet slots!

ShelleyJoy: I agree with you, boys should be able to wear skirts too (if they want to)! In some cultures they already do, but one might argue that e.g. a Scottish kilt isn't as fun as the great variety of skirts females got. :P I reiterate, gender shouldn't limit people from doing what they want and express themselves. I wouldn't want to wear a feminine skirt, but if someone else wants to wear one, why shouldn't they be able to do so? ;)?