Shields... Worth it?

Haziad

Recently, I posted a list of low tier weapons that I am using and asked for suggestions as to what I change to make it a stronger set.

The advice that I received was varied but in all cases some type of shield was recommended. This leads me to my current question... are shields ever worth it?

The only two scenarios in which I can imagine a shield being practical would be a low health opponent while you're at high health and are trying to make sure you don't get nuked down while you finish them off... and while that contingency does occur I'm not convinced that it happens often enough to be worthwhile. The second contingency would be trying to foresee your opponent's one-use nuke... a risky gambit at best.

In any case, outside of these two scenarios the best it seems you're hoping for with a shield is breaking even... normally that doesn't occur and the weapon you were blocking will force through a few icons meaning your defensive play is doing nothing but slowly losing ground...

Maybe your goal is to block part of both weapons? Help me out here... A leaf shield that blocks blocks an ice club is still losing... right?

So I guess my question is... assuming you cant block both weapons with one shield... is there any other tactical usefulness to shields that I am missing, because from where I stand it looks like a sure fire way to slowly put yourself behind.

Thanks for any input!

All the Best,

- Haziad

Are you looking to 2p battle? Or just 1p?

When I was starting out in the Old battledome. One tactic I used when I needed to defend myself, I would use 1 or 2 shields, and to attack I'd use my pet's natural ability, Peophin Splash. I do NOT know if species abilities will be back or in what form in the NEW Bd. But you asked for one scenario, not necessarily a current scenario. ;)

Now, I only 1p battle. So I'm not used to the 2p scene. But in 1p Shields ARE useful. Shields and/or Reflectors, actually. I also like Dual Duty Equipment. Now, if your pet is all Strength and HP, then you should look at some full-blockers or reflectors. If you are underpowered and working on a budget. The 50% reflectors are mostly cheap. Though most are Fragile, meaning they can break when used and then you have to buy another one. So they're not as reliable in that regard, but for a budget battler they can really be life-savers! Although, an Expert Lens does the same as Dual Battle Mirror and so far as I know, won't break.

Here's a more modern scenario for having a shield.

Say you're against a strong opponent and he's beaten your pet up pretty good, and they've got a Faerie ability, Like Shhhhhh!, for example. Unlike players, 1p opponents can use these abilities as often as they like. So, say he uses Shhhhhh! on you, and so you can't use your ability, say Lens Flare to keep him from attacking. What's left? Why, only your equipment. A shield and a healing item would save your rear in such a situation. If you had a reflector or a dual duty that was useful to combine with a healer, could also add something extra your turn for that battle. Depending on the opponent, their attack icon types, and what you've got in your arsenal.

I hope this helps. :)