omg SO ITCHY

Saxen

I woke up today and I am COVERED in hives!!! I've never had an allergic reaction before and it is horrible!!!! :(

I haven't used any different soaps or anything so I reckon it's the meds I was put on a month ago just getting into my system, which is irritating.

Does anyone have any good home remedies for hives? At this point in time I'm ready to try and find a way to live without skin

They're shut at the moment but I'll definitely call them in the morning!

Gahh I don't want to have to try a new medication :sad02: First few weeks of this have been awful

isn't there an emergency phone number you could call? They might be familiar with the med's and possible side effects and know of solutions to ease the itch?

We can't really recommend anything, it could make things worse!

I imagine that natural ways of soothing skin might give you some relief and likely wouldn't have any reaction to your meds. 1/2 cup to 1 cup of baking soda/soda bicarbonate to a warm bath can help. So can milk- one site recommended soaking a cloth in it and covering your hives in that, but if your entire body is covered, maybe a bath in milk may be better (though expensive!).

I'm sorry that this is happening, Saxen! Hives are the worst. :(

If you think it is due to medicine, do not take another dose of the medicine until you've talked to your doctor (I hope there's a 24-hour phone line to talk to them, which I urge you to call if possible). I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic once. I was at work and noticed a rash on my abdomen, so I went home for lunch. As I reached for my bottle to take my next dose, I thought "hmm, maybe I should see if this is one of the side effects and see what I should do." By this time, the rash had spread over my entire body, including my palms and feet, and it was itching like crazy. I called the number, and the advice nurse asked if my throat was swollen. I could talk fine, but she told me to check in the mirror, and it was swollen to about half its normal size. I was given a large dose of prednisone, which stopped the reaction (I then had to wean off the prednisone over a week). I think the itching went away within ~12 hours, and the rash faded in ~24 hours. Had I taken that next dose, the reaction would have gotten worse -- and with the throat-swelling I was experiencing, it could have been life-threatening. So be careful!

P.S. If you've been on the meds for a month, they might not be the cause. It could be that the soap/lotion/detergent/etc. you use changed formulas, or you ate something that you've just developed an allergy to, or it's some viral infection, or it's actually insect bites, or... any number of things. That's why it's best to talk to your doctor.

I hope you can get some symptom relief and figure out the cause quickly!

I second the baking soda recommendation; I make a paste of it, and it works as long as it's wet. Calamine lotion can also soothe itching (read the contraindications first), and there are anti-itch formulas to put on bug bites and other irritations. Anti-allergy meds (antihistamines, such as benadryl) can also help, but again, ask your doctor first -- you might need something stronger, and the meds might not interact well.

I break out in hives every day, because I come into contact with something I am allergic to every day and that is the way my body reacts. Get some hydrocortisone from a local drug store (anti itch cream) and take a antihistamine. Hives don't have to be life threatening as in siniri's case. Mine are just a nuisance and I just take a Zyrtec daily and they don't affect me. Or you can take a benedryl (more common in household cabinets) but it might make you drowsy.