Rubbish avatar?

Welcome Back Apathy

TDN still has this listed as method not known, because nobody has PRECISELY confirmed what we're supposed to do. However, I came across this petpage, which seems to have at least part of the answer...

http://www.neopets.com/~miaou5

To summarize, it claims that the amount of items you have to donate correlates strongly with what time it is. If you're between 12 and 1 NST, then you have to discard somewhere around 2,000 items. But if you're a few hours later, then you have to donate a few thousand more.

Can we expand on this at all? Test it to see exactly what items work?

Also, I need help because apparently I've been doing it at the completely wrong times of the day, and I've wasted a lot of time. By now, I've discarded over 10,000 items at different times, and it's getting old. So before I try again, I'd like to check with people who have gotten it already. Did you do all different items? All the same items? Were they all fishing items? (I've heard that only rarity 101 items work, so the cards that the Battledome gives out wouldn't work.)

I did mine around 9pm NST and discarded about 4k items total, so my results don't really hold to the theory.

If people who get the avvie want to keep an eye on how many things they're discarding and the time and post here, we might begin to see a correlation.

When I got mine, I had saved up 1000 random items (whatever I had been getting from dailies) and discarded them all with no result. So I saved up 5000 more (since around 5000 seems to be the average), including a ton of leftover fruit plates from the AC Staff Tourney prize shop, and discarded another 3k or so items before I got it. It seems people have better luck when discarding items all at once than in groups of <2000, but it might just be probability. You're discarding more items faster, so you get the avvie sooner.

I don't think type of item makes a difference, as many, many people, including myself, just use whatever junk they manage to hoard away. Granted much of the stuff is fishing/dailies stuff, but there's a variety of rarities for things given out. Unless we're all somehow hitting the magic formula of item types, which seems extremely unlikely xD

The theory is an interesting one I've never heard before, though like Emily pointed out, I'm not sure how well it would hold up under mass scrutiny. The author does not seem to have too many data points compared to the neo-population. In general statistics terms, they are about 10 points too short of a large sample size. I'd be interested in seeing more data on this theory before passing judgement.

I also tested the whole "less items between 12AM/PM" thing and did about 2.5k items before getting the avatar.

Despite having success with that, I still think it has to do with total items donated in a month/specific time period.

Okay. So I started this at 7:31 AM NST. My count's a bit sketchy but it shows I discarded 572 items. And had 9222 in my SDB to start this new count.

Basically I'm scrolling through my SDB and discarding any junk items I've hoarded over 15 of. I try not to put more than 400 ish in my inbox or it gets laggy. Then I mass discard from quick stock til it's all gone. And repeat. And repeat....

So far I'm down to 7398 items. That's 2396 discarded! No avvie yet though.

I'm gonna edit this post as a journal so I can give you a rough range of where I get it. Hopefully...

6640. 11:11

6346 11:15 Fishing junk

6001 11:22 Fishing junk

5511 11:24 key quest furniture

4864 11:37 DONATING CHEAP PLUSHIES AND I GET IT!

That means in a little over an hour after 7:31 AM NST I discarded 4930 ish junk items and got the rubbish avatar. I'd be confident the actual number is between 4750-5000. Otherwise, I haven't discarded anything in 2013. If you have any theories, ask now, and I'll try my best to remember what the mix was.

This is very interesting. I have a question though. Is the amount of items needed to be discarded 5000 or is it still random/unknown? because I just wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand anything. Now I'll have some use for my junk!