What pets do you have/want?

Wildbreeze

I have a cat that's been with us for 8 years, a calico named Meowser. She adopted us when I was 8, and is an outdoor only cat.

Other than that, I've had fish and took care of a 5-week old puppy for 2 days.

However, I used to take care of my old neighbors' dogs over the summer, and considered them partially mine. My new neighbors now have a puppy that they let me play with when I want, so technically she's partly mine too. ^_^

I also work with and take care of 40+ species of animals that I consider to be mine.

I've always wanted a dog, though. My parents won't let me. I figure that as soon as I move out and get a place of my own, a puppy will be coming with me. :)

But I love all animals, and if I could have my own personal zoo filled with animals and pets... I would do it in a heartbeat. x_x

I have four hamsters, fish and birds. I'd like to have a dog again. My family had a dog, but about three years ago we had to have him put to sleep.

If I could, I'd have my own personal zoo too :)

I have four hamsters, fish and birds. I'd like to have a dog again. My family had a dog, but about three years ago we had to have him put to sleep.

If I could, I'd have my own personal zoo too :)

What kind of birds do you have?

And yes, a zoo would be marvelous, since I could never have all of the animals I want and love as pets. :D

What kind of birds do you have?

And yes, a zoo would be marvelous, since I could never have all of the animals I want and love as pets. :D

I have lovebirds, cockatiels, parakeets and conures, which are basically small parrots.

I have a beautiful kitty. She's a big fluffy persian mix with gray, black, and white furr. She also has the cutest little pure white paws. Everyone comments on how beautiful she is because she has so many tribal-like markings all over her face and body. She's such a sweetheart. I just adore her. I've had her and her brother since they were both born in my closet when I was 9. Sadly, we lost our other kitty (her twin) about a year and half ago. He was a very adventerous out-door cat but always always came home. I think he just lost his way because we moved a lot.

I still think about him very often. Sometimes I even dream of him coming home. I remember being so exstatic in my dream and then waking up disappointed. Sometimes I'll hear a meow and automatically run outside, thinking he has finally come home.... but it never happens. For some reason (and I know this is silly) I've never been able to accept that's he is gone. He was with me since I was 9 years old. (So that would make them both 10 years old) Always so loving and sweet. He even loved to ride in the car and would come with my mom to pick me up from elementary school.

I've always been hopeful that one day he will show up at my doorstep (but I know this is probably unhealthy). One time he got lost and was gone for 4 months! Then one day he just crawled up the stairs to our apartment. His fur all matted and tangled, looked like he had been barely eating and had been attacked by something. I scooped him in my arms and nursed him back to health. I was on my way up the stairs and he must have heard my voice. He came running as fast as he could up the stairs and pratically jumped into my arms. Ever since that happened he would follow me everywhere. Every night he would sleep on my pillow above my head and purr, which usually comforted me during my nightly panic attacks.

I'll never forget how much that cat changed my life. I hope that wherever he is, he is safe.

-Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into something sad.... this thread just reminded me of him. :(

On a more positive note I also have a cat named Chesha (inspiration come from the Cheshire cat from alice and wonderland, I turned her name into Chesha because I thought it was a cute alternative for a girl) ^^ She's a really pretty calico cat who is literally half black and half orange. (Which makes her look like a halloween cat) One side of her body is orange and the other is black. One eye is dark blue and the other is dark green. So she's very unique. :) She also has an upside down arrow (which is an orangeish grayish color) that divides the orange from the black. I found the poor little thing at around 7 weeks old or so, she was meowing all by herself in a ditch. :( I was so lucky to have found such an awesomely unique kitty!

Sorry, this is long. I just love cats! <3

I'm a cat person and cats have always been around our household .. my parents hate pets in general (except birds) so i was never allowed to have a cat inside the house (also bcz of my brother's allergy) ... but that didn't stop me from having cats and keeping them at my cousin's next door ... :D

When I have my own place to live I'm going to get a kitten eventually :)

I also like turtles & iguanas but I don't think of them as "pets" ...

I'm a cat person too. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a puppy one day too, but cats are the only pet I've had growing up so I don't know any different (minus the random fish and hamsters that never lived long). I've had three throughout my years and the one I have currently is an adorable silver tabby that's almost 2 now and very attached to me. Her name is Sadie :)

I currently have two cats called Annie and Banjo and a dog named Lulabelle (aka Lulu). They are the best company (better then humans hehe).

In the past I've had three other cats called Fatty (haha I know!), Sarah and Bella. Animals are truly the best things to surround yourself with and I'd love to have so many animals, but I adore the ones I have and I am content with that :)

-Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into something sad.... this thread just reminded me of him. :(

Totally fine. I have my share of sad pet stories as well. And I don't see anything wrong with hoping that he's still out there, and safe. Maybe somebody took him in.

I also like turtles & iguanas but I don't think of them as "pets" ...

I'm not so fond of turtles as I am of tortoises. Tortoises and iguanas definitely have their own huge personalities. The iguana that I work with thinks she's Godzilla.

Sounds like most everyone loves cats. :D My family is allergic to cats too, which is why ours stays outside. But I think, most of the time, she prefers to be able to wander.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/15659_4779201050148_1901991584_n.jpg

That's a picture of my cat. (The picture is apparently huge, and I didn't want to shrink and reupload it, so that's why I put a link. :*)

i have absolutely no pets lol. i had a goldfish named hercules when i was about 5 but he died a week later :(

i really want a dog though. maybe a corgi :)

Corgis are super cute. :) I love their short little legs and happy faces.

I thought that you said "neopets" .... Then I re-read.

I always want a dragon (if they exist). Otherwise, I love all animals, especially babies of any species.

In real life, I do own (used to own) dogs, cats, snails, fishes, turtles. In the future, I really really want a monkey

I always want a dragon (if they exist). Otherwise, I love all animals, especially babies of any species.

In real life, I do own (used to own) dogs, cats, snails, fishes, turtles. In the future, I really really want a monkey

I've been researching monkeys lately. I would love to have a capuchin, but the expense and commitment needed is pretty insane. They're so cute though~

Dragons exist! (duh)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I'd also like a parrot or a bunny, i did used to have a bunny but my dad Was tried of the droppings ::(: now its gone i was reallly Big:;):, A parrot would be nice too my grandma used to have them but They ALL flew away she used to have LOTS of them::(: I use dto have a dish but it only lasted two days-,-

I have a maltese named Sparky and a maltipoo (maltese/poodle mix) named Lucky. Used to have another maltese named Smarty (he was my first dog, but...lets just say he disappeared :(:()

I've always wanted a Husky growing up though!

I have one long haired indoor cat named Scampers. He came to us as a flea ridden stray. We presume he used to be feral, as he has one docked ear but he has adjusted to domesticated kitty life just fine :) He's about three years old now and I dote on him maybe a little too much.

I have a 16 year old GSD mix named Duchess. I adopted her when I was fourteen years old and my dad got enlisted to Afghanistan. She has been with me through thick and thin, and she is definitely my greatest companion. She's also my miracle dog - every time I do a check up the vets warn me that she will pass, and she still keeps on livin. She does four walks a day up and down stairs (we live in a townhouse) and not a single complaint.

I just recently adopted a deaf red heeler from the Humane Society. She is about three years old and is riddled with anxieties and a ridiculous submissive temperament. My boyfriend and I have been working with her in helping her feel safe and secure with her deafness. She is extremely attentive but chalked full of cattle dog energy.

I've always been a rescue sort of person. I despise backyard breeders. Although I've always wanted a ferret, but I'm afraid I'm much too scatterbrained to keep my house ferret safe. Haha

I currently only have a tabby cat. His name is Cairo. He's about 8 years old now. (o_O How does time go by so quickly?)

In the past, when I was 7, I had a turtle named Murtle. (I was definitely a creative 7 year old.) And I had a cockatiel named Hawk for awhile, before my allergies acted up and I had to give her to a friend.

As far as wanting pets, there really are none. After Cairo, I don't think I'll be able to get another cat. And I'm not a dog person. I used to like them until I dog-sat for sister's terror of a puppy/dog, and changed my mind. Now, I enjoy not really having that kind of responsibility. (My parents have Cairo. When I was moving cities, they kept him for me, and now, my mom is so attached she refuses to give him up.)

I had kind of thought that as soon as I moved out, I would get a pet of some kind. But it's been almost a year, and I'm still petless. It's kind of nice, not having the responsibility. I don't have to find a petsitter (which is REALLY nice since all of my friends live in a different city). One day though, I would like to have a kitten. :3 Mainly because I have only ever had dogs, really.

I had kind of thought that as soon as I moved out, I would get a pet of some kind. But it's been almost a year, and I'm still petless. It's kind of nice, not having the responsibility. I don't have to find a petsitter (which is REALLY nice since all of my friends live in a different city). One day though, I would like to have a kitten. :3 Mainly because I have only ever had dogs, really.

I applaud your critical thinking here! :D I think a lot of people misunderstand the time commitment to having pets, especially when you're in your early twenties. I have missed a lot of parties/friend get-togethers/etc. because I simply cannot leave my pets alone for more than six to eight hours. It is not fair to them, and especially with a deaf heeler, I have my work cut out for me for trust and energy anyway. I have a petsitter, and she is wonderful, but still expensive and a lot of people feel like I'm slighting them for having prior obligations to my pets.

Pets, especially dogs, are good when you've settled into a career and a lifestyle already. Trying to juggle pets around an active mobile lifestyle is very difficult.

I adore cats and would love one but I am slightly allergic to them. When I have my own place, I may try something like fostering to see if the allergy fades with exposure.

From experience... I can tell you that, unfortunatley, that doesn't happen. Well in most cases, I should say. I have a cat allergy and it really isn't all too terrible.... I'm not sure how bad yours is? But I've grown up around cats my entire life, anyways. :P Mainly because as a child, I insisted on having one. lol. I still get 'allergy attacks' if I'm around my kitty too long. I have to wash my blankets frequently, and sometimes I'll even get little red bumps (similiar to hives) up and down my arm. :( It really sucks, because I love my cat so much. But sometimes I have to just stay away from her.

From experience... I can tell you that, unfortunatley, that doesn't happen. Well in most cases, I should say. I have a cat allergy and it really isn't all too terrible.... I'm not sure how bad yours is? But I've grown up around cats my entire life, anyways. :P Mainly because as a child, I insisted on having one. lol. I still get 'allergy attacks' if I'm around my kitty too long. I have to wash my blankets frequently, and sometimes I'll even get little red bumps (similiar to hives) up and down my arm. :( It really sucks, because I love my cat so much. But sometimes I have to just stay away from her.

I have allergies to a lot of mammals too, which is awful, since I love animals and want to be a vet. The only animals (in my experience) that don't affect my allergies too bad are dogs (unless they're really dirty) and rats. But I've vowed that it's not going to stop me from owning/working with animals.