Mass shooting at U.S. school

sara1elo

A horrible tragedy. I cant imagine what would push someone to think the slaughter of innocent kids is a good idea. Or shooting his own mother in the face before he went to the school. :/

My prayers go out to everyone effected by this, especially the parents who lost their children.

Btw - Gun control isn't the answer.

People will always find a way to own one, no matter what you do to stop it. The only difference is, the good people will no longer own their own.

And also, the guns were registered under his mother's name, not his.

My heart goes out to everyone effected by this. Those poor, poor families. :(

I would love to have a gun control debate on the debate forum at some point. Now, however, in the face of this tragedy...it is not the time.

I think this is actually the time to do it. When it is 'acceptable' people forget about horrible tradgedies like this, the senselessness of all these deaths seem to become invisble. It will become too late to talk about the necessity of gun control. And then, it will be too soon again.

I think this is actually the time to do it. When it is 'acceptable' people forget about horrible tradgedies like this, the senselessness of all these deaths seem to become invisble. It will become too late to talk about the necessity of gun control. And then, it will be too soon again.

You know, I'll actually agree with that sentiment *on this site*. The problem I've seen on facebook is that most people right now are completely unable to have a civil conversation, a debate, with facts. And if people are devastated over these deaths, as well they should be, giving pro-gun-rights arguments at a time like this will only hurt them more. It's putting salt on the wounds, if I may be banal for a minute. I'm in favor of most gun control acts, but my full beliefs (though based on logic and reason) could easily cause someone pain if they have suffered recently. And I don't want to cause anyone pain.

There are more and more of these recently although this is one of few that has actively had me in tears on several occasions. I keep thinking of the parents looking at the Christmas presents under the tree carefully wrapped and waiting for the excitement of the 25th...except their child isn't there to be excited anymore. The 7th birthdays that should have come and been a massive celebration and yet will now only commemorate the death of that which was most important to them. The teacher who shoved her children into cupboards so that when the gunman arrived in the classroom she could say 'they're in gym' and got shot for her loyalty and dedication - she was only 27.

I think it's because the victims in this one are just so young I think that it has such shock waves because America has more than a record for atrocities. But the oldest child was seven. How is that fair? How can anyone kill someone that young with everything to live for? It does to me say that mega gun controls need to come into America. If I say gun shooting in the UK everyone will say Dunblane; it is our one and only gun tragedy. Germany; Stuttgart. Norway; Breivik. But the US? The only answer has to be 'Which one?' Gun control is a massive aspect of this. The US is the *only* country with such lax gun control laws and the *only* country with such a terrifying list of tragedy's. To make things worse there were 8 gun related deaths in the UK last year - there were 10,728 in America. That is over 10,000. Ten thousand deaths. How can the argument for gun control not be valid?

A rollcall is almost impossible but I would beg you to bow your heads and think for a moment; Pearl, Mississippi 1997. West Paducah, Kentucky 1997. Jonesboro, Arkansas 1998. Springfield, Oregon 1998. Littleton, Colorado 1999. Fort Gibson, Oklahoma 1999. Santee, California 2001. Granite Hills, California 2001. New York 2002. Cold Spring, Minnesota 2003. Red Lake, Minnesota 2005. Bailey, Colorado 2006. Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania 2006. Blacksburg, Virginia 2007. Oxnard, California 2008. DeKalb, Illinois 2008. Huntsville, Alabama 2010. Columbus, Ohio 2010. Tuscan, Arizona 2011. Blacksburg, Virginia 2011. Chardon, Ohio 2012. Oakland, California 2012. Aurora, Colorado 2012. Oak Creek, Wisconsin 2012. Newtown, Connecticut 2012. No other country can boast so many bereaved mothers and lost children. No other country has such a scary record of lives lost and yet has done nothing about it because of your constitutional right to bear arms.

Read more: http://socyberty.com/issues/a-christmas-tragedy/#ixzz2FG9tfUqq

Today was a really rough one for me. I found myself thinking about the tragedy a lot today. I just keep thinking about all the grieving parents & family, the community as a whole.... it's hard not to want to magically take all the pain away. As I was watching the news I started wondering what made this person so cold blooded to do such a thing, but then I stopped myself. I refuse to remember his name or anything about his life. The media needs to stop glorifying criminals. Do we hear much of anything about the victims? No, of course not - because stuff like this sells. It's sickening. An otherwise depressed guy may have just went into his basement and offed himself. Now people that are mentally disturbed turn on the news and see a criminals face plastered all over so they decide to one up it. Instead of commiting suicide and leaving the world unnoticed they would rather become famous from it - and they do. I encourage us all to remember the victims names and faces and keep them in our thoughts, not this horrible person who commited the crime.

No other country has such a scary record of lives lost and yet has done nothing about it because of your constitutional right to bear arms.

While I do agree that there needs to be some restrictions placed on guns, such as a full background check & some sort of physc evalution, I don't think getting rid of guns entirely is the solution at all. Criminals WILL find a way to arm themselves, regardless of whether or not something is illegal, when has that ever stopped them? Despite what you might think - guns have saved a lot of lives as well, people who otherwise would have been defenseless.

What I don't get is why they had to torture those families of those who were killed by constantly playing it on the news. That's all I saw on any news channel I flipped to for about a week! I get it's sad and horrifying but do you really have to play it over and over again. I had to stop watching the news entirely because I had nightmares for 2 days....I can only imagine how the families must feel...probably 1000 times worse!!!