Presidents?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win 2012 election!

• Barack Obama
    • Mitt Romney
  2. 2. Who is the better vice president?

• Joe Biden
    • Paul Ryan

I'm personally leaning towards Obama. It's not that he hasn't made mistakes or that some of his policies aren't atrocious, but besides Romney's policies - which everyone here seems to have already covered adequetly enough for me :) - there's the fact that he tends to say a lot of really stupid things without thinking: Insulting China, the whole 47% thing... not to mention his original comments on that ridiculous anti-Islam film.... If he's elected president, he'll have resposbilities at the internationtal level that he won't be able to "take back" when one phrase could set off a war. Besides, I'm hoping if Obama is re-elected, he'll stop worrying about re-election and start implementing some actual change.

Well, anyway, here's a really funny youtube video with a (sort-of true) overview of both candidates if anyone wants some less serious commentary. =D (i couldn't resist)

I am actually curious as to what minx meant too. Who exactly is the puppet master of which we speak? :P

@Zelda - I agree, Mitt Romney has made some pretty stupid comments. One thing I really do not like about him is that he wants to make budget cuts in all the wrong places. Cutting funding for pbs, planned parenthood? Really? Psh, as if that even makes a dent in there budget. Not to mention that the majority of pbs funding comes from private donors. I mean, really? Oh and as far as cutting planned parenthood... let me just get this straight. He wants to abolish abortions, right? & Yet he is not interested in giving people contraceptions to avoid pregnancy? That right there is proof that he is basing every one of his stupid decisions on religion. He doesn't believe in equal rights for women or the gay community b/c it's against HIS religion. I cannot believe we are in 2012 and still fighting for our basic rights as human beings. What happened to freedom of religion or lack of? Ugh.

Oh and let us not forget the flat out lies he has told on several different occasions nor has he accuratly revealed his so called five-point plan. He claims he will pay for his tax-cuts by closing loopholes and deductions, yet he hasn't named a single "loop hole" he is willing to close. Not only that, but his public manorisms say a lot about his character. I don't know, maybe it's just me... but Obama has a more calming, cool, compassionate demeanor about him that I really like. Romney always has that stupid smirk on his face. I won't go as far to say that Mitt Romney is evil. He is blindly following his "religion" and trying to make money off of it, like any other business man. I mean, of course Romney wants to lower taxes on the upper class and the big corporations (healthcare companies, for example). So that explains why he is willing to turn medicare and medicaid into a voucher system. More money for the both of them! they are the ones funding his campaign. Bank of America even gave him a whopping 1mil, among many other banks like wells fargo, JP morgan chase, Morgan Stanley, etc. Meanwhile, the majority of Obama's campaign money comes from private donors as well as a few large companies like google and microsoft.

I just cannot believe a word that man says, I mean... come on. He was even called out and fact checked by the debate moderator about Libya.

Anyways, I'm off my rant for now. If anyone's interested... I found this while surfing google. It's disgusting the things he has said, you can read the top ten dumb mitt romney quotes here.

http://politicalhumo...mney-Quotes.htm

Anyways, I'm off my rant for now. If anyone's interested... I found this while surfing google. It's disgusting the things he has said, you can read the top ten dumb mitt romney quotes here.

http://politicalhumo...mney-Quotes.htm

Certain ones of those quotes, I see what he means. I don't fault him for the 47% quote because the gist of what he is saying is that a lot of people have already made their decision to hate him no matter what. I don't really think he meant that 47% is on welfare or government or anything; that's just one reason he gives. He's fed up with getting hated on automatically. Which, let's face it--it does happen. Of course, many more people have chosen to dislike him because of what he has said--and those of us are not going to listen to him anymore. So he is saying that he's going to pander to the ones whose vote he might actually get. Hey, at least he was honest. :-P

I also understand "Corporations are people". They are made up of people, and if a corporation goes down, those people lose their jobs. Honestly, I wish we could reform corporate taxation so corporations get taxed less. That makes me very different from pretty much anybody, but if corporations are taxed less, then they could pay workers more, sell more, and overall keep industries in the USA instead of going out to China. The difference between me and the Republicans on this issue is that I want to make up the difference by taxing the CEOs a lot more. We're talking 50%.

Many of his gaffes are really just wording things badly, like firing people and not being concerned about the very poor. I can see WHAT he meant in those.

Here are the ones on that list that actually terrify me:

"When you have a fire in an aircraft, there's no place to go, exactly, there's no -- and you can't find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don't open. I don't know why they don't do that. It's a real problem." –Mitt Romney, suggesting it would be a good idea to crack a window at 35,000 feet, Beverly Hills fundraiser, Sept. 22, 2012

Proves that he doesn't know basic science. Unless he was saying this as a joke, and people were just jumping on it. If he went to expensive and prestigious schools without knowing this very, very basic thing that even eight-year-olds know, then what other basic facts have escaped him?

"As president, I will create 12 million new jobs." —Mitt Romney, during the second presidential debate

"Government does not create jobs. Government does not create jobs." —Mitt Romney, 45 minutes later (Oct. 16, 2012)

Concrete details, Romney. Concrete details that make you differ from Obama and also differ from people who are trying to destroy the economy.

"Is $100,000 middle income?" -George Stephanopoulos

"No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less." -Mitt Romney, ABC's "Good Morning America," Sept. 14, 2012

This, more than any of the quotes, shows his complete disconnect to the American people. If this is actually what he believes, no wonder he's not concerned about helping the people on the bottom. He believes that $50,000 a year is absolutely destitute!

You guys are probably a bit young to remember Dan Quayle except to read about him (maybe some of you aren't and can chime in?) but you know what, thinking more and more about Mitt Romney's incredible ability to stick his foot into his mouth and rotate reminds me of George Bush Sr.'s incredibly....well, DUMB vice president. Matter of fact, when I asked my husband, he remembered his name, and merely because of the fact that he was infamous for saying stupid things. Huh. History does repeat itself, doesn't it?

That was a man I wouldn't have wanted in the White House, for any reason, whatsoever.

I haven't gotten into this because my fellow Obama supporters have been so eloquent in outlining the madness of Mitt Romney's policies, I'd just be repeating myself - but it's so close now. I hope Obama can win through, I'm honestly terrified of what will happen if he doesn't.

Certain ones of those quotes, I see what he means. I don't fault him for the 47% quote because the gist of what he is saying is that a lot of people have already made their decision to hate him no matter what. I don't really think he meant that 47% is on welfare or government or anything; that's just one reason he gives. He's fed up with getting hated on automatically. Which, let's face it--it does happen. Of course, many more people have chosen to dislike him because of what he has said--and those of us are not going to listen to him anymore. So he is saying that he's going to pander to the ones whose vote he might actually get. Hey, at least he was honest. :-P

I really do have to disagree. I see what he means and what he is saying is if you are apart of the "47%" of people who vote for Obama then that must mean you think you are entitled to everything. You must think you are entitled to healthcare, food, education, whatever. I think everyone deserves a chance.... for him to sit there and say people aren't entitled to food or healthcare is something I disagree with on every level. Seriously, what happened to caring for the sick, dying, poor, hungry, etc? :(

I'd like to think that if I had plenty of money floating around, I'd help someone in need. Whether it be directly or through some of my taxes being taken out for healthcare/food that people in poverty can't afford. (And I would be provided healthcare in return) Sometimes people need help and I think we should all be able to come together as a nation and help those that are in need. (There are other countries that do this. There people tend to be happy, healthier, and live longer.) Here's a link if anyones interested - EDIT: That first one was a faulty link, here is the actual link - http://www.careerove...lthier-happier/

I just don't understand why people have to be so greedy.

It's also insulting to call all democrats free-loaders and say that they all think they are "victims". He then says "My job is not to worry about those people" IE: Democrats. So okay. What you are saying is that if you are elected into office you are only going to care about your own party? And yes, I've made the decision that I am completely against him and all of his policies based on what he has said and what he plans to do.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

He states it pretty clearly there, IMO. ;)

I agree with everything said here, pretty much. Obama is the guy for the job, Romney will destroy the world no doubt about it.

Some very interesting points here.

I'm not American, but I would definitely vote Obama if I was.

Of snwflk's questions, the only one where I'm with Romney is the abortion one. (I don't think a woman has a right to kill her child, but that's another debate!)

Fascinating that the votes for Obama / Romney are currently 16:1. Are Republicans not computer-literate or something? Or do they not play computer games?

America is such a different place to Britain. Here, there isn't that much difference between Conservatives and Labour (although they pretend there is). In the USA, the two parties seem poles apart.

I'm from the UK as well and there's a HUGE difference between Labour and the Conservatives!! Labour are the working class party, Conservatives are the toffs - it's basically a less intense version of Obama/Romney. Conservatives want to keep taxes for the rich low, they don't like the poor and the disabled and think they should fend for themselves basically. They even introduced a tax on pasties and caravans! Labour are the opposite, which is why I'm voting for them next election. I cannot believe we're stuck with Cameron.

I'm not going to say anything about your views on abortion as that's for another debate, but I think you need to think a bit more on that one.

Whoooaaa, heck not Romney. Romney is a creeper, and his wife is a naive little lady who's probably never worked a day in her life. I'm not sure about Obama either, since he's not that much better. :/ But oh well. I'm too young to vote so.... Hakuna matata!

That still doesn`t answer who you think it is... where pray-tell, does the money lead?

You have your candidates, then your corporations, banks, etc., then your elite families (those few who posses majority of the world's wealth). I would suggest reading The Creature from Jekyll Island. Good book. Did you know that like all but one of our presidents are related to eachother?

You have your candidates, then your corporations, banks, etc., then your elite families (those few who posses majority of the world's wealth). I would suggest reading The Creature from Jekyll Island. Good book. Did you know that like all but one of our presidents are related to eachother?

You still haven't said who the money all leads back to.

And really, you could technically say that just about everyone is related to other people if you go far enough back. Isn't Humphrey Bogart related to Princess Diana if you go back 20 generations?

Regardless, even if they're both controlled by someone else, I trust Obama way more than Romney. Obama actually gives two cents about the people in his country other than rich white straight men. He tries to help people, even if the weirdly set up American political system doesn't allow him to do much.

I agree with Rebecca. Honestly, if you actually take a look at Obama's track record he has done a lot for this country.

I did. Your politicians are paid for by the corporations, banks, and Wall St.. Those are owned by the elite (1% of the world's population that controls 98% of the world's wealth). History, like what is found in the book The Creature from Jekyll Island will explain to you how these folks have come into power.

Maybe George said it best: http://youtu.be/wV1lZMTCqf8 Beware of strong language.

I understand where evil_minx is coming from. Everyone should watch Zeitgeist - I think it's available on Youtube? Explains A LOT of things!

You still haven't said who the money all leads back to.

And really, you could technically say that just about everyone is related to other people if you go far enough back. Isn't Humphrey Bogart related to Princess Diana if you go back 20 generations?

Regardless, even if they're both controlled by someone else, I trust Obama way more than Romney. Obama actually gives two cents about the people in his country other than rich white straight men. He tries to help people, even if the weirdly set up American political system doesn't allow him to do much.

I agree with you but you shouldn't say it like that. Not that I am offended (I'm not white) but that seems a tinsy bit racist because not all white people are rich.

I agree with you but you shouldn't say it like that. Not that I am offended (I'm not white) but that seems a tinsy bit racist because not all white people are rich.

Oh, no, I'm not saying they are. I'm saying that Romney doesn't care about white people that aren't rich, or people of colour that are rich. Unless people are:

1)white

2)rich

3)straight

4)male

Republicans don't really care about them, or their rights.

I understand where evil_minx is coming from. Everyone should watch Zeitgeist - I think it's available on Youtube? Explains A LOT of things!

I had a sociology professor who had us watch it. While there were lots of things I agreed with, I think it was mostly just propaganda. :(

Rebecca's correct. I don't see how what she said came across as racist at all honestly? How could she be implying that all white people are rich by saying Romney only cares about the rich, white, straight men. That's not to say that all white men are rich, but she's saying that's all Romney cares about. Which is pretty much true.

On another note, I remember watching Zeitgeist a couple years back. I did agree with some of the things being said about how Christianty derived from Paganism but the whole 911 conspiracy story is pure bogus IMO. Granted, George Bush was one of the worst presidents ever, but still. Not to mention if you take a look at there website almost all of the so-called "references" they list are nothing but various authors who no one has heard of.

By the way everyone, please wish us luck today! & if you're in the US and of age to vote, please cast your vote today! We find out who is president either tonight or tomorrow morning. The anticipation is killing me but I'm so ready for this to be over with.

Rebecca's correct. I don't see how what she said came across as racist at all honestly? How could she be implying that all white people are rich by saying Romney only cares about the rich, white, straight men. That's not to say that all white men are rich, but she's saying that's all Romney cares about. Which is pretty much true.

On another note, I remember watching Zeitgeist a couple years back. I did agree with some of the things being said about how Christianty derived from Paganism but the whole 911 conspiracy story is pure bogus IMO. Granted, George Bush was one of the worst presidents ever, but still. Not to mention if you take a look at there website almost all of the so-called "references" they list are nothing but various authors who no one has heard of.

Yes, the first part about the origins of Christianity was SO interesting, and I totally believe that. But yeah, while I can believe just about anything about Bush, I can't buy that he orchastrated the 9/11 attacks.

EDIT: I am SO wishing you all luck today! I hope that everyone gets out and votes. :D

I totally took your point, Rebecca - in the way in which it was intended! And after my many years of experience watching these things, I'm positive you're right. :|

Yeah. :/ I don't trust the Republicans.