Rage naaaaaay.

Welcome Back Apathy

A year ago, I posted a nay regarding the handicap inaccessibility in the city I now live in. On the plus side, I'm living at a different place now, and the apartment I'm in now is easier to get into. On the downside, I have fractured my spine TWICE in the last few months simply because the train/subway (it goes aboveground) enacted a horrible new policy that said they only open one set of doors.

I really don't want to have to sue them, because it's going to be the riders that eat the costs, and the people in charge won't care. So I wrote to them, specifically choosing their "write to the top" option because I need the highest people to see it. I told them that I had injured myself BECAUSE of their policy, and the continuation of the policy makes it worse. I told them that I had written to them before (the FIRST time I fractured my spine) and the response they had given me didn't work. (They told me to use the intercoms--there ARE no intercoms in the seating in the back! You know, where the handicap accessible seats are! The only intercom is by the priority seating in the FRONT.) I told them that I had seen other people getting injured too, not just disabled people, but it was the worst for disabled people. The drivers WILL NOT open the back doors for disabled people, simply because THEY CANNOT HEAR US.

I thought I made it very clear that I have a legitimate lawsuit on my hands, but that I was giving them a chance NOT to get sued.

Ten days later, I finally have a lack of a response. They never sent it to the top, and I got a form response.

We apologize for the GREEN Line Door policy that is in effect during off peak travel times. The MBTA is evaluating the policy, but at this time, no changes to the policy will be made. If you require rear door exit, you may speak to the operator when you board requesting the need to leave from the rear, or use the intercom located at the doors for assistance.

Darn it, guys, I do NOT have time to sue you. And I really, really don't want to. In the meantime, I CAN NO LONGER DRIVE (because you can't look behind you with a fractured spine) and cannot walk, and I have to rely on public transportation. I'm having trouble getting to work. I'm in pain, and I've only been getting worse. Simply because they cannot change a stupid policy that they just enacted over the summer, one that has never existed ANYWHERE until now, a policy that has no benefits whatsoever.

A big nay to that. It goes without saying that every company is in the business of making money, but such a blatant disregard for their customers health and good service in general is appalling. I'm shocked that they're just brushing you off like that.

... What the heck is the benefit of this "policy" anyway?

Only opening one door seems to be a giant safety issue on so many levels. Whoever okay'd that has the dumb.

Hopefully they come to their senses, you heal quickly and find a safe route around town.

Ugh, I'm so sorry that happened to you! D:

I don't know how much free time you have, but do you have the option of going to the head quarters of your city's transit company? Go in there and tell the receptionist that you are a seriously angry customer that has a legitimate law suit on your hands. You want to talk to someone in charge, and you do not want to be given the run around. If need be, make an appointment or something, but just make a big scene until you get what you want.

It's so hard making sure that your emails get to where they're supposed to go, but if you get a chance to talk to someone that actually has some authority, you may be able to get heard.

Such a stupid policy. :/

Only opening one door seems to be a giant safety issue on so many levels. Whoever okay'd that has the dumb.

Maybe it has to do with efficiency - our buses are enter-only through the front door and exit-only through the back (unless you have accessibility issues, then you can go out the front). But then again, handicap/priority seating is at the front of the bus right near the driver. Sounds like the system Karina is dealing with isn't so efficient. :(

Karina - I hope everything gets sorted out quickly for you so you don't have to be stressed about a lawsuit. Hopefully other people that have been having problems start to speak up, too. In the meantime, wishing you a speedy recovery!

How long are you thinking you will have to rely on public transportation to get around? Public transportation sucks, I would assume even more so if your spine is fractured. I am terribly sorry to hear about that, btw. I also have a lot of back problems, thankfully never fractured my spine though. If they are not going to listen to you and hear you out, then they need to be sued. It's about ethics and simply caring for another person, that should be there top priority.

Please, do let us know how it goes. I wish you had a friend or family member that was able to help you out during this time. :sad01_anim:

Hopefully they come to their senses, you heal quickly and find a safe route around town.

Maybe it has to do with efficiency - our buses are enter-only through the front door and exit-only through the back (unless you have accessibility issues, then you can go out the front). But then again, handicap/priority seating is at the front of the bus right near the driver. Sounds like the system Karina is dealing with isn't so efficient. :(

It's enter AND exit only through the front door--and it's two cars that have to go through that same door, so it gets REALLY crowded. The only wheelchair accessible place is the back door, but sometimes people actually get stuck because the driver can't hear them. My understanding is that it's because a lot of people have been freeriders--getting on in the back without paying.

It's an underground subway with stations for about half the ride, so they open the back doors there and everyone piles on anywhere they please. Then they only open the front doors once they are aboveground.

I suggested to them that they open the front doors only, and then when everyone's on, open the back. That would only take about ten extra seconds from just opening up the back at the beginning, it would take a minute LESS than the current policy, AND it would solve the freerider problem.

I'm so sorry about your back, Karina!

I'm a little surprised about their response to you - or lack thereof - because it is something that needs to be dealt with immediately, before they do end up getting sued. I'm guessing they're feeling confident that you alone won't sue or that if you do, you're "just" one voice.

Have you decided what to do? Could you call them?

*lots of supportive hugs*

I'm so sorry. :( I feel like I can relate to this as a lot of my friends (also have to sit where it's accessible for them) and I take public bus transportation and we have similar problems with them. For the most part I think the buses have started to be better at accommodating us though. Every once in a while we get an awful driver who doesn't care. Hopefully you're able to get them to listen to you soon or they come to their senses and try to change things for the better.

It's enter AND exit only through the front door--and it's two cars that have to go through that same door, so it gets REALLY crowded. The only wheelchair accessible place is the back door, but sometimes people actually get stuck because the driver can't hear them. My understanding is that it's because a lot of people have been freeriders--getting on in the back without paying.

It's an underground subway with stations for about half the ride, so they open the back doors there and everyone piles on anywhere they please. Then they only open the front doors once they are aboveground.

I suggested to them that they open the front doors only, and then when everyone's on, open the back. That would only take about ten extra seconds from just opening up the back at the beginning, it would take a minute LESS than the current policy, AND it would solve the freerider problem.

Ugh. Companies shouldn`t put their profit (dealing with freeloaders) over the safety of the people on their transit. :/

Best of luck, and a speedy recovery!

Karina, you may find it in your best interest to speak to an attorney about this. That doesn't mean you have to necessarily file a lawsuit, but the first step we usually take in my office is to write a letter to the offending party. Its a sad but true fact that many, many times a company will respond to a letter with an attorney's letterhead where they would ignore or send a form letter back to a lay customer. Just having a person to back you (and from what it sounds like, finding someone to take your case would not be difficult) could get things resolved more quickly.

-.- Well, it just gets worse and worse...

I called today to talk with someone. Apparently, they wrote me a longer response that they supposedly mailed me on October 3rd...strange that they then sent me ANOTHER response (the short useless one) on the 8th. The longer response wasn't really more helpful, but at least it was more detailed. However, it also basically said "Use the intercoms and suck it up."

I was on the train today. Since I was coming from one of the first stops on the line, I managed to get a seat at the front, so I had absolutely no problem. And I'm actually feeling really good today--the fracture is finally healing. I thought, "Seriously, I can just nap here until my stop!" I did not, however.

By the third stop, the train was absolutely full.

By the fourth stop, they were turning people away, and able-bodied people were hurting themselves.

By the time they made it out to the aboveground stops...someone disabled had gotten on. And several stops later, that disabled person needed to get off. That disabled person pressed the button for the intercom.

The driver went on his own intercom and said "If you're using the intercom, come up and talk to the operator." After the disabled person clearly COULD NOT, he disabled the intercom. He never opened the back doors.

I am absolutely fuming over this, honestly, even though it did not affect me. They keep telling me to use the intercom, use the intercom if you need to have the back doors opened. Well, here was someone who did it, and did it right--and not only did the driver NOT open the doors, but he took out the only means of communication between handicapped people and him. I wish I could have told off the driver, but even though I was at the front (second closest seat to him!) there were fifteen people blocking me from him. It was that crowded.

Seriously, what the heck... Even if you don't sue, it's just a matter of time before someone does. And do they ever deserve it...

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Zombiiesque) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Oh my god. I kind of want to punch that driver. D:< Well, I guess when (/if, but I assume it's when!) you contact them again you can say this- I'm sure that driver isn't alone in his idiocy about his able-bodied privilege.

God, it isn't even that. It would be tough for ANYONE to get to the front to talk to the driver, disabled or not, when it's that packed. >.>

• 2 weeks later...

Do you remember the title or name of who you talked to? You'll want to keep track of which offices you speak to. Even if you're just talking to the peon that does the copying, they should tell you who they're speaking for.

Your next step with your city government should be to contact your city's Commission for Persons with Disabilities. They'll be able to tell you what their stance on the issue is. They're also responsible for ensuring that city council is accessible. If you are unable to attend a city council meeting, they should be able to have a letter read on your behalf. You should also be able to get more detailed information on who to contact through them.

Assuming that you live in the city that I think you live in, I'd recommend following delphinebar's advice. There's a lot of money involved in this policy, and I'm not sure that you'll see much of a response otherwise.