Rapid Deflation- Is It Right?

Sarahs

After the release of Poogle Morphing Potions, Hasees and Parasols from the new daily, I got chatting to someone on the Trade Boards. It's amazing how much np someone can lose within hours of an item being mass released. People could spend months saving for a particular item and then lose all their work overnight, it seems a shame... I feel bad for folk who have recently purchased Hasees!

Pirate Draik Eggs used to be 15 mil, now around 3 mil. 8-bit Power-Up Potion apparently went from 20 mil to 4 mil within about an hour of the AC prize shop being open. It must really hurt to log on and see that you've lost 16 mil overnight!

Is it right for TNT to mass release sought after items or should new ones be created instead? I wonder what would happen if the MSPP card was instantly made more available! Perhaps TNT should drip feed rarer items back into play so that their value doesn't immediately crash?

Have you ever lost nps due to rapid deflation? Does the introduction of this daily make you more hesitant to keep high cost items as investment?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the subject :)

After the release of Poogle Morphing Potions, Hasees and Parasols from the new daily, I got chatting to someone on the Trade Boards. It's amazing how much np someone can lose within hours of an item being mass released. People could spend months saving for a particular item and then lose all their work overnight, it seems a shame... I feel bad for folk who have recently purchased Hasees!

Pirate Draik Eggs used to be 15 mil, now around 3 mil. 8-bit Power-Up Potion apparently went from 20 mil to 4 mil within about an hour of the AC prize shop being open. It must really hurt to log on and see that you've lost 16 mil overnight!

Is it right for TNT to mass release sought after items or should new ones be created instead? I wonder what would happen if the MSPP card was instantly made more available! Perhaps TNT should drip feed rarer items back into play so that their value doesn't immediately crash?

Have you ever lost nps due to rapid deflation? Does the introduction of this daily make you more hesitant to keep high cost items as investment?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the subject :)

Imagine if SuAP drops to less than 10mil. This is exactly like the stock market. Its all about luck......

Overall, I don't like it when they make previously very valuable items too readily available. Just because of the principle; I don't tend to keep -or even own- very sought after and valuable items, so it's not for selfish reasons. I just think that you need to be able to count on some things. But of course we can't expect the market to remain static, things will change and there will always be someone who will take a loss because of it. But with these big ticket items, I think the loss is too great. It *is* a comparably controlled market. TNT can manage it exactly as they want and they control the outcome.

TNT has to shake things up every now and again. The members who have been on forever have such an unfair advantage and can make so many NPs just by selling mundane items from when they were around that got retired. It just keeps the economy of Neopia a bit more fluid, which is something that has to happen with Neo after losing a large amount of members.

TNT has to shake things up every now and again. The members who have been on forever have such an unfair advantage and can make so many NPs just by selling mundane items from when they were around that got retired. It just keeps the economy of Neopia a bit more fluid, which is something that has to happen with Neo after losing a large amount of members.

I understand you. I am new compared to most members, just got active 3 months ago, before I used to play once a week on Friday for 2 hours. But some people have been playing for 12 years and have invested in items. If the expensive items are buyable through the shop wiz again 12 years on neopets saving will be wasted. Its like investing in a Bony Grarrl Club and it comes back from a a new lets say Tyrannian Daily. 120mil wasted.

I like that these rare items are being made available- but only if they are a rare prize. Having items that cost more than 100 million NP just seems silly to me when Neopets is such a controllable market. New members are at such a disadvantage now, so I like that there is a chance that anyone can get a PDE or other rare item- just from luck.

So yeah. I hope that Hasees don't become a common prize from the Mysterious Negg- they can remain rare, but keep some entering the economy. I like to think of it like the Faerie Caves and Test Your Strength. Both release Paint Brushes (Faerie and Halloween, respectively), but they are super rare prizes, so the cost of the item doesn't fall so drastically -- though, I imagine the Faerie PB did when it was a plot prize, like the 8-Bit Potion.

But, having plot prize items drop in price is a time honour Neopian tradition. :P Nothing they can do about that! It's annoying for the people that invested in them before, but how else should people be 'rewarded' for participating in plots? Straight NP? I don't like the sound of that very much.

I like that these rare items are being made available- but only if they are a rare prize. Having items that cost more than 100 million NP just seems silly to me when Neopets is such a controllable market. New members are at such a disadvantage now, so I like that there is a chance that anyone can get a PDE or other rare item- just from luck.

So yeah. I hope that Hasees don't become a common prize from the Mysterious Negg- they can remain rare, but keep some entering the economy. I like to think of it like the Faerie Caves and Test Your Strength. Both release Paint Brushes (Faerie and Halloween, respectively), but they are super rare prizes, so the cost of the item doesn't fall so drastically -- though, I imagine the Faerie PB did when it was a plot prize, like the 8-Bit Potion.

Definitely agree. While things like the draik eggs and krawk potions have deflated a lot, they're still fairly expensive in that for many people, it takes a lot of time to save up for one. I don't mind them deflating items a little, but it's nice when they're still kept relatively rare.

I generally don't hoard super expensive items (only cheap ones that I hope will inflate :P ), so it doesn't worry me too much.

That said, things like avatar items act as NP sinks (which I think helps the economy?), so I can't see them to deflate something like MSPP or the Grarrl Club.

Edit: On second thought, considering these items are generally only lended I suppose it would make more sense to deflate them to a price where they're still outrageously expensive, but at least attainable. Oh dear! I'm still not sure I could see it happening, though.

I lost a ton on buying Draik and Krawk MPs when they were 15 mil+.

I mean, I restocked a lot of them and sold them to save towards my stamp avatar, but a few I bought for 11 mil and 15 mil.

I can see them wanting to deflate things, but if they deflate everything, nothing is fun to save for anymore.

I won't be mad about it until they deflate a stamp I spent 120 mil on. In a few editorials they said they don't want stamp avs being easy to get, so I doubt they would. But I would be pretty ticked off.

I lost a ton on buying Draik and Krawk MPs when they were 15 mil+.

I mean, I restocked a lot of them and sold them to save towards my stamp avatar, but a few I bought for 11 mil and 15 mil.

I can see them wanting to deflate things, but if they deflate everything, nothing is fun to save for anymore.

I won't be mad about it until they deflate a stamp I spent 120 mil on. In a few editorials they said they don't want stamp avs being easy to get, so I doubt they would. But I would be pretty ticked off.

I recently started collecting stamps, but I don't think I would spend 120 mil on one. Which did you get?

Investing is always a risk. It seems wrong because since it's a game TNT can affect that risk so much. However, it's realistic!

So yes, it can suck if you lose out on NP. But I think there are millions more people happy about the deflation than there are people unhappy about it.

The worst thing about it is that UCs are now much harder to trade for. However... Of course they were going to get harder to trade for with time.

Plus, TNT warned us about draiks and krawks being more attainable soon. ;)

I'm not really a reseller, so it doesn't bother me much, but I understand that people are frustrated because of that. However, I think it's great that some of the most expensive items are made available to people who can't play as much as others.

They could always rotate the rare items from dailies every month, and further lower the chances of obtaining rares.

I guess they should start deflating items that are worth hundreds of millions, aka rare stamps, especially that are part of avatar albums. Deflating random items like hasees, parasols, seem a little pointless to me.

They should also deflate items like MSPP, BGC, and SuAP. This is because its so pricey and when someone's is stolen its impossible to recover.

I guess they should start deflating items that are worth hundreds of millions, aka rare stamps, especially that are part of avatar albums. Deflating random items like hasees, parasols, seem a little pointless to me.

I think that if there started to seriously deflate rare stamps TNT would have some seriously FURIOUS users on their hands. There are people that have spent years working really hard to afford those stamps. TNT is doing their part by still releasing the ones that would have otherwise become completely unavailable, but from the sounds of it they have no intention of making some of those really rare stamps (and thus, the stamp collectors avatars) easy (or cheap) to get.

I think it's okay to maybe deflate things that are a little expensive, but I would be furious if I spent all my money getting something like a SuAP (Like I'll ever get that :P ) just for it to become some sort of daily prize. I would probably be furious and quit, honestly if that happened. So maybe some things, but things that are worth like 20 million is a definite no.

This is what makes the game interesting. In real life you can invest your money and you hope you get a return, but sometimes investments don't pay off. Same thing here. And just like in real life you wouldn't tie up all your money in one or two investments, hopefully you haven't tied up your neopoints in one or two items, hoping they will increase in value, since things like this do happen.

I'm glad they're helping to curb the inflation of some of the more popular items. It's one thing for random items to be very difficult to get, but if you really want that dream krawk, it should be a reasonably attainable goal.

On a similar note, do you think people have been getting water paint brushes in one of the updated dailies? They've dropped quite a lot in the auction house recently.

This is what makes the game interesting. In real life you can invest your money and you hope you get a return, but sometimes investments don't pay off. Same thing here. And just like in real life you wouldn't tie up all your money in one or two investments, hopefully you haven't tied up your neopoints in one or two items, hoping they will increase in value, since things like this do happen.

I'm glad they're helping to curb the inflation of some of the more popular items. It's one thing for random items to be very difficult to get, but if you really want that dream krawk, it should be a reasonably attainable goal.

On a similar note, do you think people have been getting water paint brushes in one of the updated dailies? They've dropped quite a lot in the auction house recently.

I don't think that's very interesting. Because some people don't have enough time to play. And if they recently saved enough for a Hasee and bought it, they will be Furious...... I would hate for that to happen to me.

Okay now I have another point to add to this. This girl I know had an omelette gallery, and I remember literally the day before the omelette changed the prizes she spent over 1 mil NPs in omelettes. Now I can just imagine how awful that would be. So yeah, I don't like rapid deflation.

Okay now I have another point to add to this. This girl I know had an omelette gallery, and I remember literally the day before the omelette changed the prizes she spent over 1 mil NPs in omelettes. Now I can just imagine how awful that would be. So yeah, I don't like rapid deflation.

I just sold someone from TDN omelettes a week before the Deflation.

As someone that won a Hasee from the Mysterious Negg Cave recently, I can safely say I loathe rapid deflation :P when I put it on the TP the first day, the average price was 450k, and it's been going down quickly ever since. My expected profit was much larger than the actual profit...

Ignoring my selfish "I want more money!" feelings, though, like other people have said, it's part of the natural ebb and flow of the economy. It never hurts to make the playing field a bit more even, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of the sad saps who saved and saved and saved forever to finally be able to purchase a Hasee, but I have to admit that when I noticed the rapid deflation in value, I was really happy LOL. I didn't buy mine to sell and I love Hasees so much! I always wanted to morph one into a Haseepuss, but they were just so expensive and I was so attached to my only one that I never could. Now I can buy Hasees and Haseepusses and I imagine a lot of other players who loved these little petpets are thrilled, too. I think this sort of thing makes Neopets fun and exciting. Of course there are disappointing aspects to it, but to me, it's not really different than wasting a lot of money on a map set or spinning the wheel of extravagance. And a lot of the time the opposite thing happens. I've been playing for years and years, and as people have already stated, older members often reap the advantages of having items that end up rising in profit due to thing like avatars. Snorkle snout, meowclops, icy snowflake, are just a few I can think of that were so easy to buy cheap years and years ago and now are not!

I actually don't mind rapid deflation. I don't put real money into the game, i'm not into resale, if i've purchased something for millions and the price rapidly drops I just shrug my shoulders. I'm not one to get upset over "losing" Neopoints, fluctuations in price don't impact my ability to enjoy what i've purchased even if I could now buy six of them for the price I paid for one.

I can imagine the upset it would cause someone into resale though, at least in the short term. Some items are bound to circle back around as the years go on and accounts become inactive/prizes change, in which case hedging your bets and buying a few at the lower price could pay off. Or it may not. There's a reason I avoid anything like this.