Rapid Deflation- Is It Right?

Sarahs

Well, there are actually two types of people playing Neopets. There's those who had been on Neopets for a long time (years), and had accomplished a lot, made a lot of NP and those that recently joined Neopets and is trying to get to the top. Obviously, the newer players can not get to the top, so TNT tries to help them by producing items which allows them to hit their goal of 10m or so. As for the old Neopians, there is not much TNT can help them with any longer, nor does TNT need to because TNT is not focusing on maintaining their old members as it is to get and not discourage new members.

Besides, rich gets richer regardless.

I feel like rapid deflation is right. Even though I am an old, old player, I don't really have anything of value to sell (or rather, I wouldn't sell it if I did, it would just collect dust). So I don't actually have too much money. Right now it just seriously bums me out to see how long it takes to sell things anymore because no one is on Neopets anymore. If they could find something to bring in new people, I don't care how much money I'd lose out on. I miss the glory days. >.<

Plus, there's tons of things that I could have afforded years ago that are just not ever going to happen anytime soon now. I think it's just ridiculous that some things are hundreds of millions of NP, but maybe that's just the "I remember when you could afford an entire lab ray map for only 100k" nostalgia talking.

I don't think that rapid deflation is wrong. It's simply a part of life and it's bound to happen. There is an inherent risk when you invest in an item hoping for the price to go up, and sometimes things just don't work out. I think, in the long run, that the money you gain over time by selling items that inflate in price evens out with the amount of NP you lose from items whose prices deflate. Of, better yet, you make a profit. But that's where the risk lies.

The alternative to rapid deflation is steady inflation that never ends. As you saved, the item you want would always be the same amount out of reach as before, which is SO discouraging. I prefer to "lose" some np to rapid deflation than to have everything I aspire to buy stay out of reach forever.

I paid 700k to get the forgotten shore map when it was brand new--now the pieces are worth 50np each. I know to a person who lost millions that might seem small, but it felt big to me at the time, and I stand by my preference for deflation.

I don't have much issue with deflation. It is, however, insane to make an item go from "really hard to get" to "everyone and their mother has at least one."

I don't know if it's just me that thinks this, but I think TNT needs to deflate/inflate the values of random items from time to time. And not the deflate = "everyone and their mother has one" or inflate = "you have a better chance of getting a royal pet from the lab ray."

I don't have much issue with deflation. It is, however, insane to make an item go from "really hard to get" to "everyone and their mother has at least one."

I don't know if it's just me that thinks this, but I think TNT needs to deflate/inflate the values of random items from time to time. And not the deflate = "everyone and their mother has one" or inflate = "you have a better chance of getting a royal pet from the lab ray."

That's exactly what happens though D: Hasees are now worth 10k! THAT seems like too much deflation to me; just a few short weeks ago they were worth ~400k, and even before that, several million NP...like what you're saying, I think if they're going to deflate rare items (such as the Hasee), they should at least make the chance of getting one from the daily relatively slim, like getting a PB from Anchor Management or something.

so many things to say :/

1. i had an omelette gallery before the omelette thing too. pretty upset

2. i bought a parasol when it was around 60-70k, i should have waited even longer. oh well :/

3. when the forgotten shore was recently release, i think i got it for 5 or 10k, and soon after i had gotten a magical pirate krawk plushie which i sold for 3.2 mill :) best thing ever, since now theyre worth like 700k i think

4. also, i got to purchase a deflated pirate draik egg, also more expensive then they are right now, but not by that much. my dream draik was accomplisehd thanks to deflation :D

so overall, im kinda happy abotu the deflation, but i also feel the pain of many neopians everywhere

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like it might be good to introduce a couple more rare/expensive items into circulation because I'm sure a lot of these rare items are just in holding at someone's account so it may be good if even just for the fact that itll get the cash flowing from player to player :)