Viacom takes away channels from Directv

QueenBee

As many of you know, Viacom is a TV Provider of Nickelodeon, and is also behind Neopets as everyone here plays. Yesterday Viacom took all of the television stations, that it provides, away from customers of Directv because they want more money. Viacom provides channels like BET, MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, COMEDY CENTRAL, Centric, CMT, Spike, TV Land, Logo and few others. I'm very upset about this, because Viacom is asking customers of Directv to pay more to get what they're asking for which is 30% more (so about one billion dollars more). I know not a lot of people seem to watch television on a television anymore because of things like Netflix, Hulu, and all other online alternatives but I figured that people should know this since Viacom is in charge of Neopets.

News Source

I'm not American, but this sucks for you guys!! :( I'm sorry.

Gahh, I'm so worried about Neopets now D: All these NC cookies and whatnot; TNT going back on the promises they've made in order to make more money...

That is sick. I'm a cable customer and so far those channels are still included in our basic package but who knows how long we'll be safe.

I am a victim of this too. It's really upsetting! I was assured by Direct Tv that come this morning I would have all my stations and not to worry. And now this! I watch a bunch of those channels and we have a kid in the house that of course watches a TON of Nickelodean. With all that Viacom owns it seems to me they are not hard pressed for money. This makes no sense!

I've been wondering about Neo for a while now. I understand they need to make money and I think that NC is a really good way to do that. However The Game Cookies have made me wonder what is really going on in the Neo World. I'm worried that one day it will be premium or nothing!

I don't have direct TV but my Grandma does and she's in a nursing home. They're not really allowed to get any other form of cable there and I feel really bad for her. She can't do much and watching TV Land, EWTN and GSN is what she tends to do most of the day. I hope they reach an agreement soon!

Well thats stupid. Hope they don't get their money. Shouldn't reward a big company for being greedy.

Viacom is asking a lot! I really hope they don't, and Directv manages to settle something with them because nickeolodeon is a commonly watched television show in my house, as well as many of the others they've taken away. Greed is an awful thing in this world, and yet as bad as it is, it is far to common to come across, especially with companies that already have so much income.

That is sick. I'm a cable customer and so far those channels are still included in our basic package but who knows how long we'll be safe.

I hope they don't do the same to you guys!

I am a victim of this too. It's really upsetting! I was assured by Direct Tv that come this morning I would have all my stations and not to worry. And now this! I watch a bunch of those channels and we have a kid in the house that of course watches a TON of Nickelodean. With all that Viacom owns it seems to me they are not hard pressed for money. This makes no sense!

I've been wondering about Neo for a while now. I understand they need to make money and I think that NC is a really good way to do that. However The Game Cookies have made me wonder what is really going on in the Neo World. I'm worried that one day it will be premium or nothing!

Since Viacom owns Nick, Neopets, and all those other things, I thought surely by now they would have more than enough money! I mean Neopets used to be entirely a free thing online, aside from the things like notebooks, school supplies, video games, plushies and whatever else they had in stores at one time. I really hope that Neopets always stays free, I'm too addicted to it- and I really don't have the money to be paying for premuim. As I'm sure a lot of people don't in this economy we have in the U.S.

I don't have direct TV but my Grandma does and she's in a nursing home. They're not really allowed to get any other form of cable there and I feel really bad for her. She can't do much and watching TV Land, EWTN and GSN is what she tends to do most of the day. I hope they reach an agreement soon!

Oh gosh, I'm sorry about your Grandma. I watch TV Land all the time too, since I like all those old tv shows that used to be on tv all the time like I Love Lucy and Leave it to Beaver. I truly hope they get things settled so she won't go without a channel she watches often.

I'm in on this as well - we can't get cable out in the country, we can ONLY get satellite. Really, it's kind of ridiculous how little viable options we have for tv and internet, and now this? We watch quite a lot of those channels in my house, including TV Land. :( I'm so disgusted by them not being willing to work with Directv.

We just switched to DirectTV about a week ago, and this happens? -__- lol good thing I only watch TV online, though I'm not so sure I would watch any of their channels anyway.

It really makes me sick how greedy Viacom is. Makes me want to cancel premium. I could tell how greedy they were just by how greedy Neopets is, before this happened. Viacom doesn't need the money, they simply want more money. I hope they don't get a cent out of this stunt, but they probably will.

Thanks, I appreciate that! I really hope so too! I feel like they'll have to settle things soon or Direct TV will start losing customers.

I think Directv already has, to be honest.

I'm in on this as well - we can't get cable out in the country, we can ONLY get satellite. Really, it's kind of ridiculous how little viable options we have for tv and internet, and now this? We watch quite a lot of those channels in my house, including TV Land. :( I'm so disgusted by them not being willing to work with Directv.

I'm sorry! I hope things get all settled too! >__<

We just switched to DirectTV about a week ago, and this happens? -__- lol good thing I only watch TV online, though I'm not so sure I would watch any of their channels anyway.

It really makes me sick how greedy Viacom is. Makes me want to cancel premium. I could tell how greedy they were just by how greedy Neopets is, before this happened. Viacom doesn't need the money, they simply want more money. I hope they don't get a cent out of this stunt, but they probably will.

Yeah, they do simply want more. That's obvious just by looking at Neopets. Premium and the NC Mall prove that they just want money. There's very few clothes you pay NP for for your pet to wear, all because they want your real dollars for their pockets.

---

Also, UPDATE.

Viacom is being an ultimate pain to Directv.

According to Denson, Viacom’s 17 channels (some of which repeat as HD channels as well) represent 20 percent of all viewing on DirecTV; and its Nickelodeon children’s channel is the most viewed of any channel on the service. “No other programming group delivers that type of value,” said Denson. “They (DirecTV viewers) spend a lot of time on our channels.”

Denise Denson, Viacom’s executive VP content distribution and marketing is one heck of a bragger of Viacom, hmm? Viacom is somewhat important to the many children and even adults who watch the shows they provide such as Nick and then TV Land- but they make out like they are the highlight of having Directv. Of course Directv suffers when Viacom takes away channels that so many people watch, which is why I think they pulled this stunt from the start. They make up a good chunk of Directv services, so of course they simply assume Directv will accept what they're asking for- but of course it's not that easy. People who have Directv already have a big bill depending on the services they get already, no one wants to pay more money!

It seems like for right now it's still a tug of war where both sides are viciously yanking at the rope until they reach the middle or the rope finally snaps. Many people now are adjusting to the change without Nickeleodeon, Logo, Spike, and the other channels that Viacom took away from Directv. Actually, if you go to the Nick site, it actually states the exact opposite Ex:

nfmjwo.jpg

Viacom should be ashamed for this stunt, as well as for their greed but they won't as I'm very sure of. They probably won't settle with Directv, but just think of how many people that have Directv, Viacom will lose more money than make any if Directv just says no to them. Then they'll ask more from other people who switched to other providers- who also won't pay for the amount they are asking for. Either they settle this mess or both sides lose a heck of a lot of money.

Update Sources | HollywoodReporter | Local10

Nick was one of the only places I still could stand to watch cartoons any more. I'm 21....I need to feed my inner child! Viacom, why so greedy?!

This same thing happened with the Fox networks back toward the start of the year. FoxNews, Fox, and FX were all getting dropped. If I recall correctly DirectTV was the one dropping them because Fox was asking for too much. But in this case Viacom just pulled all their channels. The Fox dispute was solved after about a week of the customers finding out about it. But Viacom has so many big playing channels. Who knows how long this will go on for.

As many of you know, Viacom is a TV Provider of Nickelodeon, and is also behind Neopets as everyone here plays. Yesterday Viacom took all of the television stations, that it provides, away from customers of Directv because they want more money. Viacom provides channels like BET, MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, COMEDY CENTRAL, Centric, CMT, Spike, TV Land, Logo and few others. I'm very upset about this, because Viacom is asking customers of Directv to pay more to get what they're asking for which is 30% more (so about one billion dollars more). I know not a lot of people seem to watch television on a television anymore because of things like Netflix, Hulu, and all other online alternatives but I figured that people should know this since Viacom is in charge of Neopets.

News Source

I always see Dish dissing Direct TV on those adds, but I am switching to Verizon Fios, more channels, :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: