Donna and Adam Powell Question

~Ğǿǿmy~

Is Donna and Adam Powell still the owner of Neopets? I know that Donna drew the first Chia.

I also know that the Jubjub was first called Jibjib.

But what happened to Donna and Adam Powell? Are they still owners? Have they sold it to someone new? Where are they now?

They no longer own Neopets, they sold it to Viacom back in 2005. However, Adam remained on the team and assisted with a few things.

According to Wikipedia;

Powell continued to work for Neopets.com until June 2007, aiding the transition following the purchase and continuing to develop high-end concepts for the site.

Powell has creative design and writing credits on a wide variety of Neopets products including SCEA's 2006 PlayStation Portable release Neopets: Petpet Adventures: The Wand of Wishing, Wizards of the Coast September 2003 release the Neopets Trading Card Game and Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc's 2005 release Neopets: The Darkest Faerie, for the PlayStation 2.[5]

They founded a new company, "Meteor Games", which, according to Wikipedia, has since went downhill:

Meteor Games is headquartered in Los Angeles and has 100 employees.[12]

Meteor Games suffered through major financial turmoil throughout 2011 due to them failing to find financing or an interested buyer for the company. Meteor Games laid off most of the 100 employees it had towards the end of 2011, only leaving a few to do maintenance the remaining active games it ran until they were laid off somewhere in the first few months of 2012.

Meteor Games declared bankruptcy in January 2012 and is currently facing the threat of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy as their creditors attempt to liquidate the company.

The popularity of Meteor Games' Facebook games has swiftly declined. Island Paradise was the last remaining successful game until April 2012 when Island Paradise suddenly and without warning closed down as well. The Meteor Games main website was simultaneously pulled down.

[edit]

:sad01_anim: I just found this story out! What a horrible story! I hope he finds success somewhere else.

The current owner of Neopts is Viacom which is also a part of a bigger multi-national company (I think Disney or Paramount??)

In 2005, Viacom split into Viacom and CBS Corporations. Neopets was sold to them after the split. Viacom is "owned" by National Amusements, Inc. That is just a group of insanely rich people. Viacom owns Paramount Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, CMT, BET, Logo, VH1, Comedy Central, CBS Corporations owns Paramount Television, CW, Last.fm, Simon and Shuster, Pocket Books, and Showtime.

One thing good out of Nickelodeon being a part of this is the free nps we get on the Wheel of Slime!

I agree! ^_^ But i hate the change Viacom did the wearable... They ruined so much neopets including Xweetok and Lutari D:<

hmmm... i liked meteor games... enjoyed island paradise... i had no idea

*imagines Viacom owners swimming in a pool of gold and diamonds with eight robot-servants offering them chocolate slushies and cookies* ...nice...

Well I never knew this until now

In conjunction with Neopets, Meteor developed a new game based in the world Adam and Donna first created. You can do quests on a board game-like map, sell items to NPCs in your shop, and earn achievements. These achievements sometimes come with a code for a free item on Neopets.

It was confirmed due to money loses and a plummet of users over the last few months along with laying off 90% of Meteor Games staff, Neopets: Treasure Keepers was shut down on Wednesday, December 14, 2011.[16] Upon closing, users of the game were given a code to use on the Neopets.com website for 10,000 in-game NP and 11 other virtual items.

So there seems to be a fairly recent relationship there. It would be cool if they hired him freelance to do plots and games.