TNT "going crazy"? Hackers/CGers in full flight?

Ravenlovesneopets

Not to scare anyone, but yes, CGers were back on the boards at the start of the Cup. I haven't heard much if they're still around or if TNT fixed the hole or what... but... increased claims of frozen accounts due to scamming are likely because of it.

What are CGers? Can you get hacked even if you don't give your password away?

To answer that first question, CGers is a short term for Cookie Grabbers. They are really malicious scripts that is able to steal or make a carbon copy of your HTTP cookie. CGers use your stolen HTTP cookie to essentially masquerade as you (or the user that got CGed). You can find out more about Cookie Grabbers and how to stop them here: http://www.thedailyneopets.com/articles/cookie-grabbers/

Huh...guess I'll have to be extra careful. I'm so paranoid of getting my account hacked again, I change my password every 2 days. >_<

But, I don't visit the boards at all, so I guess that'll help.

More importantly than changing your password, make sure you log out frequently. If you change your password without logging out, you'll be wasting your time, because the thief will still have your cookie and thus will still be able to get into your account - no matter how many times you change your password.

You can find out more about Cookie Grabbers and how to stop them here: http://www.thedailyn...ookie-grabbers/

So I read this article and have installed NoScript on my Firefox... however now it is blocking my Premium toolbar. Any idea how I can let the toolbar through without exposing myself to the CGs? I'm not sure if allowing neopets.com defeats the purpose or not.

So I read this article and have installed NoScript on my Firefox... however now it is blocking my Premium toolbar. Any idea how I can let the toolbar through without exposing myself to the CGs? I'm not sure if allowing neopets.com defeats the purpose or not.

No script is annoying in the beginning. You have to start telling it what is okay for each place. But once it is set up it is nice. Just click on the S on the left of your address bar and it will give you a list of the things it is blocking on the page. Just unblock what you want and keep everything else blocked.

What are CGers? Can you get hacked even if you don't give your password away?

And yes you can get your account stolen without giving away your password. It happened to me I want to say last October and I didn't get my account back for 3 months. I was just in and out of a lot of shops and I bet that was what did it for me.

Yeah, but the only thing I get under recently blocked is "neopets.com" so it seems like I can either allow all of neopets or none of it. *sigh* That's annoying... but I don't want to get CG'd so I'll just have to turn it off when I need the toolbar for something.

Cookies store your active log-in information. It's the thing that keeps you logged in. It's a temporary file stored on your computer. Without cookies you'd have to log back in every time you went to a different page!

So say you're on neopets and you go to a page with a cookie grabber. If the scammer gets access to the cookie they can then essentially gain access your current login. They can do this without already knowing your username or your password, they just use the cookie and then they'll have access to your account.

When you log out and then log in again it effectively "resets" the cookie, so then the cookie that was grabbed will be useless.

This does not happen on the neoboards. Cookie grabbers are posted on shops, galleries, petpages, etc.

I hope that made sense... I'm pretty tech-savvy but I'm not so great at explaining things lol.

Cookies store your active log-in information. It's the thing that keeps you logged in. It's a temporary file stored on your computer. Without cookies you'd have to log back in every time you went to a different page!

So say you're on neopets and you go to a page with a cookie grabber. If the scammer gets access to the cookie they can then essentially gain access your current login. They can do this without already knowing your username or your password, they just use the cookie and then they'll have access to your account.

When you log out and then log in again it effectively "resets" the cookie, so then the cookie that was grabbed will be useless.

This does not happen on the neoboards. Cookie grabbers are posted on shops, galleries, petpages, etc.

I hope that made sense... I'm pretty tech-savvy but I'm not so great at explaining things lol.

Definitely made great sense to mean. Thanks! Really helped. I deleted my cookies and even my history and everything that had to do with browser/site history, to be sure. I'll make sure I don't visit too much pages to make sure I don't encounter a CG. :) And of course, I'll start logging out now. xD

Man I wish I knew this earlier! My account was frozen today for "suspicious activity" and I have no idea if I have been CG'ed or not. But yikes! It's scary to think how easy it is for someone to steal your info :O