Liking things

Lauren_x

at the moment , only Staff are allowed to like posts ..

i think it's a nice feature .. but might be abused ..

I don't see why :( I think most people here are mature enough to use it sensibly and those that aren't could just have their privileges revoked?

How would it be abused? There could always be a quota, like a max. of ten likes/day!

I wish it worked too; sometimes I click it on posts I really like even though I know it won't do anything. :laughingsmiley:

Hahaha, I do that too. :)

I think a limit for non-staff members would be good too- also maybe restrict it to members who have x number of posts (100? more?) or who have been members for a certain amount of time (a month or so?). Or both! That way you're sure that they're not newbies, they know the rules, etc. :)

Hello!

Yes, currently it's restricted to Staff Members only, and we're testing it to see how it works. It affects reputation, which is why we are concerned.

And yes, if/when implemented, there will be a quota depending on your status (Regular, Super, Fantastic, Trial Staff and Staff)

Hello!

Yes, currently it's restricted to Staff Members only, and we're testing it to see how it works. It affects reputation, which is why we are concerned.

And yes, if/when implemented, there will be a quota depending on your status (Regular, Super, Fantastic, Trial Staff and Staff)

Ah! That's fabulous to hear. :)

Thanks for all your great work. :3

Hello!

This is really great to hear, thank you :) I look forward to when/if it becomes a feature. I have seen it on other forums and it has worked rather well.

How would it be abused? There could always be a quota, like a max. of ten likes/day!

I wish it worked too; sometimes I click it on posts I really like even though I know it won't do anything. :laughingsmiley:

This also increases the temptation to create multiple accounts (which is against the rules).

Also, there is the problem similar to the "sub4sub" system on Youtube being "like4like" here. :P

If there's a limit, I think it should be fine. To be honest I normally kind of hate these features on forums, though. I'm against anything that encourages people to post one way or another outside of keeping things functioning, and unless it's on a debate forum where rules would need to be more strict and more effort would need to be put into content.

I feel like it encourages people to seek peer validation not through offering their unimpeded insight and humor when they feel like offering it, but through specifically seeking to gain likes. People do wind up almost competing for them sometimes. If people can't gauge via likes how much people are enjoying what they're posting and be tempted to react accordingly, they will continue to post and socialize au naturel - which to me, is the whole point of a discussion forum. Unfortunately, things like funny gifs and other low-content fare tend to get the most, or...

On another forum I'm on people tend to be very close-minded and quickly try to shut down topics that don't fit into the view of the majority. The first few posts on any such thread are always low-content ones stating the popular opinion with no real explanation, followed by maybe a hundred or so likes from people who want to hop on but don't actually want to participate or expand when they can just piggyback. It also potentially overwhelms the fresh meat to be arguing with someone in such a situation, and I often see people piggybacking debates even on less close-minded forums.

Lol I do this too! ^_^

And I think that our forum community would be able to use the "Like" feature responsibly.

Here's another one, what does it mean when a post is "locked"? Also, can't wait to like posts.

*Likes post*

A topic gets locked if the question it was asking was answered - when that happens, there's no need for further posts. :)

I'm expecting that a final decision regarding likes will be made once Ian is done with school, at the end of June.

So far, Staff has been using it without problems. We usually like good news from other staffers, funny posts or posts that clearly answer question asked by the OP.

And it's always fun to come back to the forums and see that one of your post has been liked. :P

Yeah! Count me in as a 'positive vote' on the idea of the "Like this" button =).

I think it's such a lovely idea, because it's good to be able to let someone know that something they said seems clever to someone else, or that they just generally like what was posted. And (from personal experience) it feels good to know that one of your posts have been liked =).

But yeah, a limit would definitely be necessary. Because not only would it prevent people from liking hundreds of posts, but it would get people to think super carefully about what they want to like, and that means that when someone's post is liked it's extra special and they really earned it =)

Yeah! Count me in as a 'positive vote' on the idea of the "Like this" button =).

I think it's such a lovely idea, because it's good to be able to let someone know that something they said seems clever to someone else, or that they just generally like what was posted. And (from personal experience) it feels good to know that one of your posts have been liked =).

But yeah, a limit would definitely be necessary. Because not only would it prevent people from liking hundreds of posts, but it would get people to think super carefully about what they want to like, and that means that when someone's post is liked it's extra special and they really earned it =)

This is exactly why we need to be able to like posts ^_^ So we can show are appreciation for intelligent, well-thought out questions like yours :D

As Xepha stated, this is in the works for becoming available to everyone. We're waiting on a final decision from Ian. If he approves it, it will be implemented. (Probably in June when Ian is finished with school.)

We will update everyone once this is released.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The original topic had been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.