Nervous

Naamah D.

I am very nervous about seeing a dietician/nutritionist. It's frustrating to even think about! I'm so scared they will say "You need to lose weight.". I'm very happy with myself and don't want to gain another pound. Also, I enjoy eating but I have strong willpower and don't over eat. So I'm not the stereotypical heavier person.

Has anyone ever been to a dietician/nutritionist? What do they talk about?

I can't really help you with the dietician/nutritionist, but an BMI should at least give you an insight.

BMI= weight in kg / (length in m times length in m), an BMI between 18.5 and 25 is okay, a larger number means you're overweight. This is rougly speaking because it doesn't say anything about the amount of fat you carry(sound very crude -.-). I'm have an BMI of nearly 25 so I know that I have to be slightly careful, but I won't be seeing a dietician/nutritionist unless I get over that number.

So this isn't really an answer to your question, but it might give you an insight about whether you should go to a dietician/nutritionist or not.

I havent been to a dietician/nutrtionist, but Im sure there is nothing to be worried about. Now I dont know if you are overweight or not, but I guess they might talk about eating healthier and such thing. More veggies and less pizza. And I guess they will ask why you are there, hopefully they start with that question, and then you can tell them what you want to know. :)

Good luck!

If you're only slightly heavy, I wouldn't bother going to a dietician, just make some healthy changes, like going walking/jogging a couple of times a week if you don't already, or cutting down on sugar.

I've been to 3 dietitians, to be honest none of them have told me anything I don't know already. They usually start off assuming that you're addicted to junk food, only drink soda, never exercise etc. all the bad habits, because those are the kinds of people they see the most. They ask you about your eating habits one by one and basically tell you what not to do. After establishing what your normal eating/exercise routine is, they give you an improved version. Its basically cut and paste, do you eat/drink a lot of sugary things? don't. Do you never get off the couch? do.

Not really rocket science, but if you're unsure about whether or not you need to lose weight, or how to lose weight in a healthy way, they can be helpful. It's a lot easier to get yourself on a "get healthy" schedule when someone else tells you exactly what to do.

I'm just going to get help in maintaining my weight. I'm just nervous because I'm so very proud to be plus sized. I've been talked trash to about my size and don't want it to happen again.

my best friend is a nutritionist and she keeps telling me to lose weight ... i keep telling her to go away :D

Good.If you are happy your'e happy.

a good nutritionist will help you learn about good eating habits and also about making good decisions about what you are eating. its about creating a balanced dietary intake so you are getting all the things you need from your diet, Australians spend 1 billion + a year on dietary supplements, but alot of the time its expensive wee really, because if you are getting it from your diet, there is no need for dietary supplements. like a friend who likes instant noodles, and thinks that if she eats only noodles and takes supplements, thats a replacement for a balanced diet.

its worth going once and seeing if you think its going to be any value for you :) any experience is worth going for and learning about. if you go with a list of questions, and also make it clear what you want out of it, hopefully they will listen and help you work towards your goals. :D

I think you should do your research online first. As long as you're living a healthy lifestyle and able to maintain your weight yourself then I don't think there is any need for you to go. However if you really want to learn how to make some healthy balanced meals and healthy lifestyle choices then it might be a good idea and I would recommend it. But keep in mind, most of what you'll hear from a dietician you can find on the internet as well!

I'm actually going to school to become a dietitian! :O

I'm still new, but where I am there's a big focus on the shift to "client-centred care", where you aren't just simply told what to do but are instead guided/counselled through a process that you think works for you (we're finally starting to realize that simply telling people what to do isn't the most effective way to create behaviour change). I'd hope you'll find your experience unique and helpful, although I don't know what all dietitians are like.

I think you should do your research online first. As long as you're living a healthy lifestyle and able to maintain your weight yourself then I don't think there is any need for you to go. However if you really want to learn how to make some healthy balanced meals and healthy lifestyle choices then it might be a good idea and I would recommend it. But keep in mind, most of what you'll hear from a dietician you can find on the internet as well!

Almost anything any professional tells you nowadays can be found online, but there is also a lot of inaccurate information out there, too. I think one of the roles of a professional is to help people differentiate between truth and non-truth - whether they're in health care, law, real estate, or whatever. It's great to be informed, but we are still very useful! ^_^

the dietician at my sister's university is pretty overweight, which i thought was odd. if you have strong willpower, don't over eat, and are not really overweight, you don't have to see a dietician if you don't want to. you can also try reading books written by professionals on living a healthier lifestyle if you're worried about finding inaccurate information online. regardless, the most important thing is that you're happy with who you are :)

I really don't know what is counted as a "plus" size, but I am a UK size 12, which is (I think) an USA 8/10? I am considered in the overweight category of BMI, god knows why, I'm not skinny but I'm certainly not fat, and small to most people. If you are happy AND healthy, I'm not sure why you need to see a dietician, is this something that's been recommended to you, or through your school or work or something?

I don't really understand, as dieticians here are only for massive extremes, like anorexics or extremely obese people, but I think that's mainly due to our rubbish national health system lol!

If you know that you are both happy AND healthy, no one else can tell you otherwise :) xx <3

Sorry to digress here but muppetelle did you say that you have a terrible national health system? THAT I do NOT believe! I'm sorry! I watched the movie Sicko (okay- so it's probably not the best source of information, but whatever) and it seemed that UK hospitals were quite good! Health care is free for the most part, is it not? And most of your prescriptions are covered too? I think health care in general in Europe is pretty good.

That being said I live in Canada where health care is also free, so yeah :3

And yes, I realize there is a lot of inaccurate information online but I think if you're reading a few different websites and getting the same information, it's largely true. Plus I think with the issue of dieting/health/exercise a lot of it can be common sense as well. I absolutely agree that professionals are good, I'm just saying it never hurts to research a bit online (or through books) either! :) Personally, I'd prefer actually going to the dietician because I like having that person there to talk me through things and I feel more comfortable and I trust them more, but I might read up on it a bit myself first.

I think most of us in England think the national health system is dreadful LOL, I haven't seen the film sicko, so I'm not sure what it shows. We can wait 4 or 5 months for an appointment at a hospital, or up to 4 hours for an ambulance, (not if you're like dying, but one of the women at work needed her mum admitted to hospital last week, her mum must be like 80 and it took 4 hours for the ambulance to arrive and I know of a bloke who broke his leg playing football and it took 4 hours for an ambulance to come). Our NHS is in dire straits - I'm not sure it will last much longer, but I would be happy to pay a bit, to get better treatment, rather than free, rubbish treatment! I don't blame the Docs & Nurses, they're lovely and fab, but they're just so overstretched. I have a genetic medical condition, and I know that when people in the US have it, they get tested, they're kids get tested, they get tested before they get pregnant etc, nothing like that happens here, because they just don't have the money for stuff like that.

So in summary I guess the fact that there is "free" medical care for all is good, but if it's rubbish free medical care, then it's not working quite right. :( :offtopic: