Justin Bieber: Your Opinion

Trig

I've got no problems with him. Good for him, to be honest. His success story should be admired and I think it's great that those types of stories still exists.

His ravenous fans on the other hand? Don't even get me started.

I don't really care for his music, but I would never say I hated him. Honestly, I don't think he's done anything to be hated - the abortion remark was maybe careless, but that happens when you're young and in the public spotlight, you're bound to slip up and say something that maybe should have been rethought. You know? I mean, I've seen all kinds of hype over teen stars - I can remember NKOTB, for real. That was about as nuts as Bieber fever!

It have "moments" with him: Sometimes I can't stand him and sometimes I am "ok" about him. When he keeps his mouth closed I'm fine, but everytime I read a new quote of him that annoys me... It's like there is an explosion on my brain. Then I try to think: He's still a kid, to calm me down.

Personally, I don't like his music, but I respect what he is doing, specially because I know it is hard.

About his relationships: It's his business, so I am not really for or against that.

I think a lot of the ardent Justin Bieber haters hate him mostly because his fanbase is primarily young women. For some people, everything that young women like will be deserving of derision. Because Bieber gets so much attention from those people, more people are aware of him to hate him. People actually have Bieber way beyond what their actual exposure to his music would deserve. Bieber doesn't get a lot of airplay on radio, and he actually doesn't sell that many singles. I did some major music chart nerding out the one day to try to make the argument that Bieber isn't popular enough for the hate he gets, and I'm copying a lot of that here (I would feel far too nerdy if I had people thinking I did all this work for this discussion. It was for a music site, which makes it not weird). This information is all about the US charts, but he does about the same in Canada. The Europe charts are more complicated, and I am not a big enough geek to get into that over Justin Bieber.

"Baby" was number 44 on the Billboard top 100 for 2010. The 43 songs that Americans heard more often on the radio were not necessarily any better. "Tik Tok" was the number one song. The top five also includes "Hey Soul Sister," "California Gurls," and "OMG." "Like a G6," a dance song about a jet that does not exist and drinking cough syrup, is 37. "Imma Be," a song that is so awful that many reviewers praised it as a deliberate parody, is 20. They repeat "Imma Be" over 100 times. "Sexy Chick," a song about how David Guetta and Akon see an attractive woman in a club and cannot think of any higher bit of flattery than that she is a "sexy chick," is number 26. Except they don't actually mean "chick." And like "Imma Be," they repeat "sexy chick" until it no longer sounds like words. Akon is also probably a worse person than Justin Bieber. Akon has said that "Blood Diamond" is just a movie, and he did so while owning a diamond mine in Africa. He may also have faked a history of criminal activity. He has also been criticized for simulating sex onstage at a concert with a 15 year old, who should not even have been in the venue. He also had security bring a heckler onstage and threw them into the crowd.

"Eenie Meenie," the only other Justin Bieber song to make the end of year charts, is at 89. "Deuces," which is by Chris Brown, is 68. In this song, Christ Brown is complaining about how mean his girlfriend is. One of the guest rappers in Chris Brown's song references Tina and Ike Turner. "Like Tina did Ike in the limo, it finally hit me." In a Chris Brown song, someone references the time that Tina hit Ike. They are also rhyming "hit me" with "hit me."

No Bieber songs are on the Radio Songs chart. Bieber does have two albums in the top ten of the year end album's chart, meaning that Bieber's music is purchased much more than it is played on the radio. This means that fans are mostly listening to him in the privacy of their own homes, iPods, and cars, as are fans of Sade, John Mayer, Zac Brown Band, Andrea Boccelli, and Susan Boyle. He also sells a lot of singles online.

"Boyfriend" is actually a much bigger hit than "Baby," so it will probably be higher on the year end charts. It has some crossover appeal with dance and R&B/Hip Hop. It is actually played on the radio more than any other Bieber song, which means Bieber is actually harder to avoid now than when "Baby" was out.

I like him as a person but I dislike his music.

I cannot however say that he sucks, he's horrible because then I would basically be saying that Aaron Carter sucked and was horrible when he was popular. I was a huge fan of his and understand that Justin Bieber is just this generations Aaron Carter.

I Want Candy! <3 For all those 90's kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of the ardent Justin Bieber haters hate him mostly because his fanbase is primarily young women. For some people, everything that young women like will be deserving of derision.

I find this argument very interesting, and it bugs that it's mostly true. It bothers me so much when I see people on the internet calling JB a girl like if the mere fact of being a girl is humilliating or something.

About him, I just think he's really young, and really young people are bound to sprout unfortunate phrases for haters to quote and missquote for all eternity. Sometimes I wish he'd have someone coaching him about what NOT.TO.SAY., it would keep him from a lot of hate.

I don't think his music is very good and his voice is not appealing to me at all, but the tunes are CATCHY and they stick in my head forever.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like him, or his music and like the post above mine, his fan base is made up of 8 year olds and 80 year old creepers, BUT he DOES give to ALOT of charities and I have to comend him for that, because he is young and most young popstars just spend their money on random useless things.

I do feel kinda sorry for him... Especially because his fan base is made up of mostly 8 year olds and 80 year old creeps. Can you imagine that?

I don't like him, or his music and like the post above mine, his fan base is made up of 8 year olds and 80 year old creepers

According to Youtube, the demographics is actually predominantly males and females 13-17, and females 18-24. His fanbase is hardly a reason to dislike or criticize him, though. :laughingsmiley: People like what they like! ^_^

Probably most of you have already said this (just a bit lazy to sift through the comments), but I honestly don't know why he's hated so much.

Sure, his songs can get a bit annoying and stupid but people like.. hate him for no other reason than that.

I'm not saying I'm a big fan, I just don't have that extreme dislike for him.

He's like every other celebrity.

Seems like an arrogant cocky little kid by all the stories I hear about him. Can't sing, looks pretty meh and abuses teenage girls pocket money releasing rubbish like JB Lipstick or w/e he's selling. Overall, the talentless prevail!

The worst thing about him is his aggressive fans, they make me sick, deaths threads and the likes. Actually even worse than that is beiber refusing to calm them.

Can't say that I hate the guy, he's only doing his job.

I think the only aspect of JB that irks me are his haters who keep calling him a "girl" or a "dyke" as a means of bashing him. Dislike his music or personality, whichever the deal is, but hating on the kid because he looks "like a lesbian"? SMH. Another note, his fanbase is rabid.

I feel bad for him sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...

Say what you want about his music (I'm not a fan myself), but you have to respect him as a businessman. What he's been able to accomplish through social media is truly to be admired.

Yea, he is doing great business. He is practically feeding off his fans money/allowance for songs and stuff.

Yea, he is doing great business. He is practically feeding off his fans money/allowance for songs and stuff.

Yeah, but what artist isn't? It's just that because his target demographic is the age range that still receives an allowance, that it can seem sketchy. But if his fans were in their 20's and 30's (which I don't doubt some are), the artist would still be pumping out music and merchandise to get their hard earned money from them anyways. If you don't think people like *insert artist name here* aren't doing the same thing, think again.

I really didn't like him at first, just because nobody else did. Then I realized he put a lot of work into his music and I have no right to hate on him. So I listened to a couple of songs and I think he's okay. I won't profess love for him or be a crazy fan girl, but I do respect him. He's very talented and has an amazing voice. Also he does reach out to his fans a lot and that must be admired.

My personal opinion of Justin Bieber is this, I used to dislike a lot of his music because he seemed whiny and annoying, but now I actually kind of like some of his stuff. As a person I still don't like him at all, I think he is way too idolized by young girls and that he seems unappreciative of his fame.

My personal opinion of Justin Bieber is this, I used to dislike a lot of his music because he seemed whiny and annoying, but now I actually kind of like some of his stuff. As a person I still don't like him at all, I think he is way too idolized by young girls and that he seems unappreciative of his fame.

He is way too idolized, I completely agree. However, I think he does appreciate his fame, to me he is just extremely arrogant so it comes across that he thinks he deserves all this fame. That he's a completely unique talent and there's no question as to why he's become a megastar. To which, any young, cute kid that has put that much effort into marketing himself in such a way could have just as easily been in his position. There any tons that can dance and sing about girls, which is basically everyone else in the pop industry already. He just lucked out by being singled out by Usher or whoever it was that initially signed him.

I think the person who initially signed him was L.A. Reid (I knew this only because of the X-Factor), and Usher's liking of him probably was what helped to create that fan-base he needed to get higher up. I personally just saw him as snobby, I just don't really know completely why but I did. I think that arrogance is what makes me think he doesn't appreciate it in the first place, maybe that's just me but that's the way I see it. And the girls who idolize him just annoy me, their all like 'oooooooohhhh it's Justin Bieber, he's sooooo amazing' I keep thinking to myself, 'shut your trap girls!'

Like I say, it's not that I don't like his music, because I kinda sorta do, but I'm just not a super fan of him in general.

I don't see why all the 'bashing' is needed. I mean, when I was a little girl my uncle would tease me because I was a fan of the backstreet boys. :laughingsmiley: I always got upset at him for that. Haha. I do find it a bit odd if you are 15 plus and like his music though. I don't see why he is such a 'sensation' among the older kids. I mean, his voice isn't all that great to me and his songs are... well, very unoriginal and not in the slightest way are they catchy. Again, this is my opinion. I can see why little girls like him though. I don't think he deserves all the ridicule however. I don't know him personally and I'm betting most people don't, so how can you judge his personality? - Whether it be good or bad.