Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Sports - I used to play baseball but I hate to watch it on T.V.

I do watch Nascar Sprint Cup (just starting up again woot woot, I was in withdrawl lol)

Instruments - I play guitar, mandolin and the chanter (hubby plays the guitar, mandolin, bagpipes, penny whistle, harmonica and drums ... wish I had his talent)

So lucky that I don't have to go to work this upcoming week!

I have February Vacation starting right about now, so thrilled. :D

I play a bunch of instruments. I played piano for 5 years, then I picked up viola for one year, then I played the clarinet for 3 years and I won numerous competitions but then I decided that I wanted to switch the oboe because you can get musical scholarships for the oboe.

I started playing the flute when I was in 5th grade. I added in the piccolo in 6th for certain songs. Then in 8th, I taught myself tenor sax so I could join my school's jazz band. They were considered the special band, so the jazz band, show choir, and special orchestra traveled to grade schools and perform in contests.

When I did contests with friends, I played the flute. I got 2 first place rankings for that. (The first year was a flute duet. The second was a trio with 2 flutes and a tuba.)

I play the ukulele! And I used to play the piano. Wish I could play well by ear, not really so good at it. I really just like to practice my chords on my uke, I don't really play songs all that often. I always wished I could be one of those people who can just hear a song and then play it.

I wish I played guitar, and piano. Those, you can play by yourself, and continue playing longer to enjoy. After I stopped playing in school, I never really touched my flute again. There was no point.

But I do miss it. I always enjoyed it. My dad and I used to do trombone/flute duets. (My dad was in marching bands and such when he was younger, playing trombone, tuba and baritone.)

I stayed in the same general types. Flute and piccolo have pretty much no difference. Flute and the sax are tons more alike than most think.

I think the biggest change in my band classes, was when a flute player, changed to learning guitar.

Oboes are awesome Divya. I don't think we had one in any of my band classes over the years though.

Reeds. That was the biggest change from flute to sax. I always hated dealing with the reeds. Plus, for some reason, I had to get slightly more expensive reeds for them to work right.

Ooh I play violin! *waves hand excitedly* And guitar, though not very well; and piano, though even worse :P

I actually made a YouTube channel to upload my video game music covers on, but I don't have a good microphone so I haven't uploaded anything yet xDD

Oboes are awesome Divya. I don't think we had one in any of my band classes over the years though.

Reeds. That was the biggest change from flute to sax. I always hated dealing with the reeds. Plus, for some reason, I had to get slightly more expensive reeds for them to work right.

Agreed. ;) I am the first oboe my band teacher has had in 5 years. o_O

Sax reeds are expensive? Oboe reeds are $18 apiece!

:P I'm not the singing type. I enjoy it in the car, when no one's around. That's it.

Not overly expensive, but I had to get ones that were $1-3 more, per reed, than the ones most sax players used. They just worked better.

Oh dear. I drop in here after missing seven pages or so and we're not discussing food at all? Even with our brand new :yum: smiley? :P

Maybe we should start one?

So my morning just got off to a weird start. You know how most neighborhoods have cats that climb walltops and stuff? Well our neighborhood has a dog that does that and I just took it home after it stalked me while I was bringing in the garbage bin.

This is the second time i've taken it back to where it lives this week. xD