Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Oh yeah the Princess Bride book is totally awesome. The author actually directed the movie. I LOVE both. :) There are some funny things in the book that aren't in the movie, like the bald Princess Noreena. :laughingsmiley: He also talks about the book like someone else originally wrote it (not true) so there's a debate on who wrote the book.

I had no idea there was a book! I grew up watching the movie. I love it. Especially now that I know the actor that played the Spanish character, is Gideon from Criminal Minds. I'll have to hunt down the book.

I'm the same way CAV. I can't stand that. (Which is ironic, because there's several book series where I didn't realize it was a series, and I picked up and read a recent book, ruining years of story line. <_< )

*Bribes Ryan with some peanuts to keep quiet* I don't read Harry Potter, probably never will, but I'm sure there are plenty here that do.

What about Narnia? Has anyone read that? It was a huge thing when I was working at a book store years ago. Does it live up to the hype?

I had no idea there was a book! I grew up watching the movie. I love it. Especially now that I know the actor that played the Spanish character, is Gideon from Criminal Minds. I'll have to hunt down the book.

I might have to see Criminal Minds now. :D

Oh and I don't think Ryan and I planned on discussing actual people or anything. We wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone else (at least I can say I don't). Don't worry, CAV. I wouldn't want someone else to spoil it for me. Actually, I heard about one of the first main characters that dies in one of the books before I read the book because everyone was freaking out about it. It kinda stank because I was pretty far behind and it was weird reading the book knowing that this person was going to die at the end.

*Bribes Ryan with some peanuts to keep quiet* I don't read Harry Potter, probably never will, but I'm sure there are plenty here that do.

What about Narnia? Has anyone read that? It was a huge thing when I was working at a book store years ago. Does it live up to the hype?

I read a lot of those when I was younger. I can't remember how many. I like the first few, and I don't remember much of the rest. I reread the first three or so a few years ago with the intent of reading the whole series and never made it. :laughingsmiley: If you read them, you have to start with the Sorcerer's Apprentice. It's a prequel to The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. The different worlds are interesting. I remember one of the books is about the witch more and she's going in between worlds... it's kinda neat.

I just went to the library and picked up a Terry Pratchett book! Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was checked out. I might have to go buy it...

Shhhh! I didn't finish the final book yet. I must leave in fear of spoilers! *poofs*

I'm the same way CAV. I can't stand that.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I'd never spoil a book for anyone.

Tempting, eh? :P

I think it's pretty good. I read the whole series a long time ago, and you can definitely make some connections to Christianity, which was kinda cool, since they're subtle. I remember liking them though.

I might have to see Criminal Minds now. :D

I read a lot of those when I was younger. I can't remember how many. I like the first few, and I don't remember much of the rest. I reread the first three or so a few years ago with the intent of reading the whole series and never made it. :laughingsmiley: If you read them, you have to start with the Sorcerer's Apprentice. It's a prequel to The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. The different worlds are interesting. I remember one of the books is about the witch more and she's going in between worlds... it's kinda neat.

He was only in season 1 and 2. He left at the end of season 2. I don't like his replacement at all.

My husband got the complete book thing from the library. It was huge, and way awkward to read, so he didn't end up reading it. But I was curious if it was worth reading.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is pretty easy to get through and should give you a good idea if you would like reading the rest. I like that book, but most people seem to bypass it and start with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Ditto about the subtle connections to Christianity. Subtle is a good word for it - you can see some allusions, but that's not necessarily the focus. I think C.S. Lewis was studying Christianity at the time - I remember hearing somewhere that he was still an atheist when he started writing the books.

I didn't actually say who dies and I don't plan too. Don't worry CAV, i'm not THAT mean. xD

Ok then.

I have all 7. Narnia is a good series, but there are times where it's very childish and corny.

The movies were bad. Disney should feel ashamed.

The reason why people bypass the first book is because Disney did that and went straight to book 2. Then they bypassed the 3rd book and went to the 4th, possibly confusing people that didn't read the books.

If you want to make movies about a book series, DO THE ENTIRE SERIES. Don't just choose certain ones. Imagine if Harry Potter did that.

But it's different. The Narnia series aren't really connected completely. It's the same way you don't have to learn about WWI to learn about WWII.

I thought the movies were pretty good, though to be honest I haven't seen Prince Caspian.

I read the Narnia series. :) And I saw the movie for Sorcerer's Apprentice. It was good. And I dont think that the Narnia books are really connected. *googles* Nope, they arent. :)

It's always hard with movie/books. They usually butcher them. Like Clive Cussler's Sahara. The movie was horribly cast. I guess that's why my husband recommends I see movies, then read the books. That's what he's having me do with Lord of the Rings.

The Narnia series. *explodes with words for that* They're so confusing! I mean, they're really well-written, and don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them a lot, but some of them are almost trippy in how... deep and simultaneously children's-book-y they are! *really doesn't have words for this* One good thing about them: There is not a single predictable line in those books.

*just reread that and realized how terribly inane it sounds*

And I didn't know they had movies out for all of them.

It's always hard with movie/books. They usually butcher them. Like Clive Cussler's Sahara. The movie was horribly cast. I guess that's why my husband recommends I see movies, then read the books. That's what he's having me do with Lord of the Rings.

That's a good idea. I usually get upset if I read the book first. The only exceptions would be The Princess Bride and Jurassic Park. (I still think the Jurassic Park books are a little better than the movies though.)

I liked them a lot, but it's been a while since I've read them. I did a project in high school where we had to read and book and watch the related movie, and I did The Lost World. It was kinda fun, actually.