Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

lol sorry for the late post my car when down yesterday and today I had too get another one whats you user there so I can give ian the idea about the retirement home for pets

never mind I just saw it Iam a bit slow today I had such a bad day with us gettting a good car and all

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I'm not even sure what a trojan is. To borrow Will's diagram again:

<---- words

O <---- my head

RIG, care to pop out of nowhere and explain stuff with diagrams again?

I'm not RIG (but you can call him AA, or Theo), but I can answer that question.

Trojans are programs that appear to be a functioning program but are actually viruses. For example, I download a video from the internet, but it isn't really a video, it's a keylogger (just as an example. It can be various sorts of malicious programs), or it's like a video, but not what you wanted, and it has an attachment that does something else. As you can see, they get their name from the Trojan Horse in the Iliad, because they pretend to be something you want but end up hurting you.

Or at least that's what I understood of them when I looked them up cause my computer got a few before. If anyone knows better feel free to add to/correct what I have.

Glad you like my diagram though :D

Well that's actually not how you get trojans. I don't think you can get them just browsing the internet or viewing websites, you have to actually download something from the internet.

It's something you might need to be more concerned about if you're using file sharing programs like Limewire.

Seeing as I have no idea what that is, does that mean i'm safe? The last thing I downloaded was when I actually hit the "download button" on my laptop when some random pop up came up on some random website but my dad installed osme new virus protection then...

Well that's actually not how you get trojans. I don't think you can get them just browsing the internet or viewing websites, you have to actually download something from the internet.

It's something you might need to be more concerned about if you're using file sharing programs like Limewire.

which is why you should always scan anything you download with a good antivirus program before you open or use it.

doing that seems to have kept me virus/trojan free.

Yeah, doing it Myles's way should keep you safe :yes:

SS, if you're worried, you can scan your computer with whatever AV program you have, and delete anything that it finds. If you don't find anything, I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you notice something wrong with your computer.

Remember, if you have a virus or whatever already on your computer, just having an AV program won't get rid of it (though it might do background scans for you and find it). You have to tell the program to delete it, otherwise it won't, because it doesn't know if you need that file or not.

Yup, AV stands for antivirus. And McAfee and Norton are the two most well known ones. Unfortunately that means that they're the ones that people try to work around, so for that reason you'll probably have to update them frequently (that should be done automatically).

Two lesser known ones are AVG and Avast!, and I've heard they're pretty good. Best part is, they're free ;)

Ok, i'll try that. Just I have a few questions. Starting with, what's an AV program? Is that like Norton or McAfee?

yes.

also, If you're using a microsoft computer, I suggest using Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft...ity_Essentials/

reason being, it's quite effective, free, and optimized for windows (so it's less intrusive)

AVG & Avast! especially are good too.

I heard Norton programs take up too much memory on a computer though. That's why my dad switched to Mcafee on everyone's computer but mine. He simply put up one and left the other on my laptop. o.o

Yeah, that's what everyone uses at my house too. My grandpa even uses it now. o.o

But you know, it it kinda nice having two different anti-virus protection programs on my computer. Although McAfee dosen't ask to scan, I have to get it to do that manually. jealous.gif

And I fnally got around to drawing a Ban-mobile to run people over with on the ban thread. xD