Losing your voice.

Naamah D.

Has anybody ever lost their voice due to having strep throat or any other sickness? How do you get your voice back? I lost mine this morning and am scared I won't have my voice back by Christmas.

The only thing I can suggest is lots of liquids like warm tea or soup. Avoid milk and any dairy products. If it's an infection that you have the dairy will cause the bacteria to grow. If your throat is sore as well as your voice being gone you could try a frozen juice blend or a slushie, anything that's cold. But personally I would stick with warm liquids. Your voice should come back within a day or so depending on what you have.

I hope your voice comes back soon! :)

I lost my voice before my birthday party cause I was really ill. It was awful!

Only thing is: Dont try to speak! That was my mistake. That made it really bad and long-lasting :* But how could I stay quiet at my birthday-party? :D

i lost my voice last week .. hehe ..

it's called "dysphonia" in latin medical terms

anyway there are a few simple remedies :

herbal lozenges (drops)

herbal tea with honey and lemon

hot lemonade

licorice

gargle with warm salted water

rest your vocal chords as much as you can

..... don't worry , it's not a big deal :)

~I'm a doctor

Don't talk. And don't even whisper. It turns out that WHISPERING IS EVEN WORSE! So if you want your voice back, write stuff on paper pads. Or mime. Besides, miming is fun!

Is it okay if I cough? My throat is super itchy. I hate this. I've had so many popsicles today.

Coughing could irritate your throat but it's not like you can help it. Warm salt water works wonders but it tastes nasty. Try to get as much rest as you can. Sleep can be your best friend when your sick. I hope you feel better soon, it's terrible being sick this close to Christmas.

I've lost my voice from screaming too loud at a festival then it went all low and jazzy for like a month :laughingsmiley: I don't think I've ever lost it though infection though, I hope you feel better

I was a drum major in high school and lost my voice all the time. Totally agreed on the whispering front -- it'll only knock your voice out for longer. Tea with honey, and swallow it slowly, kind of hold it in your mouth for a moment first if that makes sense. Herbal lozenges also work really well but I've never found one that I like the taste of. Feel better!