What are your thoughts on Guilds?

_Kitten

Guilds: Like, Dislike or Indifferent?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Guilds on Neopets?

• I Like Guilds!
    • I Hate Guilds!
    • I really couldn't care less.
    • What are guilds?

I was just reading another thread where people were talking about guilds and I was wondering what everyone thought about them. Are you in one? Do you like them? Do you actually participate in your guild or are you just in one so you can say you're in one?

Also, what do you guys think about the guilds that just have giveaways and cheap auctions? I kind of feel that that's almost like buying guild members.

I've just never been able to decide if I want to join one and I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

I run a guild. I love it. I am also a member in another amazing guild.

I love helping out. But I also just love to chat and make new friends.

And guilds with giveaways are against the rules. But 1np auctions and 1np trades make it okay.

My guild has them but I don't use them to draw in members. Member don't even know about them until after they join. And they have to rank up first.

I used to be a council in an amazing small guild but then people stopped posting and it became inactive -and now dead- so I left ... I haven't been really active in any guild since (I am now in the TDN guild) but it's also not very much active ... on my gallery side I'm in a famous collectors guild but I rarely post there .. the board there runs way too fast lol ...

so basically I prefer to remain guild-less ... they seem to have lost their appeal somehow ...

Yeah, my main problems with guilds in the past is that I have joined and everyone is really active and then eventually it all dies out and everyone leaves.

and April, I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your guild! I feel like that's how they should be. I don't have a problem with guilds that give out stuff after you join, that makes since, just the guilds that seem like their only mission is to get as many people to join as possible.

Yeah, my main problems with guilds in the past is that I have joined and everyone is really active and then eventually it all dies out and everyone leaves.

and April, I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your guild! I feel like that's how they should be. I don't have a problem with guilds that give out stuff after you join, that makes since, just the guilds that seem like their only mission is to get as many people to join as possible.

I agree. I believe in quality over quantity. :)

There are certain people I don't advertise to.

People demanding council to join.

Or people demanding 1 np auctions.

And a few others. Including chat speak. Call me stuck up, but I hate it.

Guilds are like a very limited forums. You can't really get things "organized" since it all goes into one board and posts will disappear after a while.

I've created my guild in 2006 and I've met many great people because of it. It tends to die out during the school year, and then to be super active in the summer. Which is fine with me. We have some activities for entertainment purpose, but mostly we just chat about everything and anything and we are there to help each others.

And a few others. Including chat speak. Call me stuck up, but I hate it.

hahaha! :laughingsmiley: If I were to ever join or start a guild, that would definitely be my number one rule.

Hmmmm, you guys do make guilds sound nicer than I originally thought.

I've always kind of wanted to be in a guild so I could help/get help with quests and things of the like.

I am in a guild. But i don't use it to talk to people. My guild has an awesome database where you can keep track of what stamps, avatars, collectable cards, gourmet foods, you name it they have it in the database. It has helped me get lots of stamps and everything else. I started out as super active but I prefer it here.

I couldn't care less about guilds, to be honest. They're a great way to meet new friends, but they're not for everyone. I just prefer to do things by myself.

Also, what do you guys think about the guilds that just have giveaways and cheap auctions? I kind of feel that that's almost like buying guild members.

It depends on how the guild handles it. Personally, I'd reserve giveaways/cheap auctions for higher-ranked players.

I was just reading another thread where people were talking about guilds and I was wondering what everyone thought about them. Are you in one? Nopity nope! Do you like them? The concept, I'm just lazy to seek one out. :P Do you actually participate in your guild or are you just in one so you can say you're in one? Eeeeh, I'm fine with my guildless status. If I was in one I would be pretty active, though. :)

Also, what do you guys think about the guilds that just have giveaways and cheap auctions? I kind of feel that that's almost like buying guild members. Nah, I think it's defiantly different. Although it might induce people to join, I would keep the auctions and trades at a minimum of, lets say - you be in the guild for 2 months, then you can bid. Depends on why you do it. If you want people to join... or if you love your members.

I've just never been able to decide if I want to join one and I just wanted to know what you guys thought. Eh, I'm not rushing into one. :)

I was in a guild for a while, but I found that all the posts being jumbled up into one board made it confusing, and the fact that everyone was very tight knit, RL first name basis made me feel like an outsider. So not for me, no.

I used to have a guild where we would have trivia once a week and stuff like that, but none of my council members were willing to help and very few people actually participated. It was just too much work for me to put into something that very few people were interested in. I used to give out prizes for the winners of the contests based on themes (we'd have an Island trivia week, a pirate trivia week etc where the prizes would be 10 randomly selected items from that theme with the lot usually being priced between 10-20k with a mix of toys, clothes, food, books, collectables and customization items), but that was before I knew that contests were against the rules. Then we just did it for fun, but far less people participated. I think the most people that it ever had in it was like, 20, and many of them were friends off-site.

As far as the chat aspect, I find that, with all the filters and stuff, it's easier just to msn anyone you really want to talk to or join a community like TDn where, though monitored, is not nearly as strict as TNT. Here, you can actually say "assignment" and not get warned *rolls eyes*

I've been in a few guilds before, however I never found one that really made me want to stay. I always felt like the board was either dead, or those members who posted were already best friends. I feel like a lot of users join the guilds with the 1np auctions and such however that doesn't make a great guild. Most of those members will just float around trying to get free stuff, and not actually participate in anything.

So, I guess I am trying to say that if you do join one, it may take some time to find the right one.

I used to like guilds, until the one I was in went from 100 people to less than 10. It's not fun when you and only a few other people are there. I also think that they are a bunch of work and take up so much time. The last guild I was in was quite demanding. I had to make two activities and a weekly eco article.

Guilds aren't supposed to give out freebies and newbie packs. I'm pretty sure that's against the rules.

I don't really care about guilds. I don't really get the point of them, aside from a.) looking good on my UL and b.) already being in a guild almost always means I don't want to join yours. I'm only in a guild for those two reasons. :laughingsmiley:

As far as guild auctions go, they just scream "join this guild we have [cheap] auctions!!" but I have no problem with that. Whatever gets a guild more members, I guess. :P

I don't really care about guilds. I don't really get the point of them, aside from a.) looking good on my UL and b.) already being in a guild almost always means I don't want to join yours. I'm only in a guild for those two reasons. :laughingsmiley:

As far as guild auctions go, they just scream "join this guild we have [cheap] auctions!!" but I have no problem with that. Whatever gets a guild more members, I guess. :P

On that note, lots of guilds do that with guild auctions but when I advertise I do not even tell them that we have auctions.

:)

I don't want members joining for cheap things.

And people have to achieve second rank to participate in my guild.

I don't really care about guilds. I pretty much avoid places where you talk to other players due to the extreme censorship, the only exception is Neomail. Not only that but guilds require you to be very active on them, which I would not be. So, guilds are just not for me.

I'm in a guild, but barely anything EVER happens... its an active guild, I've checked the person who started it. ( that also really, really, annoys me because tons and tons of guilds don't have any active members!) But when their active I love guilds! :laughingsmiley:

I run the TDN Fan Guild...but of course I use the term "run" loosely.

I like having something to fill the guild slot because it keeps me from getting invites and it make my profile look more complete. Really the whole point of the TDN Fan Guild is that we can do everything we might want to do with a guild here at TDN, so instead of joining a guild we don't really care about or might not be active in, we use our guild slot to support and get the word out about TDN. I update the layout occasionally and sometime I change the poll, but pretty much we don't do anything, and for the foreseeable future I think it will stay that way.

Those of you who have posted saying, "TDN is my guild," should conceder joining. You've got an empty guild slot and you love TDN, so why not show your support?!