Busy Busy Fall Season

Scarlet Fever

:woot: Now With Recipes! :woot:

It's that time of year again....FALL; where I both "yay" and cry a little inside (so much to do, so little time).

First comes my boyfriend's birthday...then mine (24 on the 24th. lol..I'm a dork)...then our child's (I can't believe she'll be 4)....and our favorite holiday of all...Halloween!

This year is going to be a little interesting...I've been dabbling a lot more in cake decorating.

Bf's: White cake, vanilla frosting; probably going to make a small castle/fort.

Mine: I'm probably going to do a cheese cake of some sort (because cheese cake is far superior to regular cake *nodnod*)

Sarah's: "Funfetti" cake, cream cheese frosting; it's going to be a pink dinosaur! I'm really looking forward to this one.

Then there's all the fun Halloween stuff; food, costume(s,) and crafts. We might have a small get together so I'm getting some planning for that done.

Foody/Drink plans:

Pumpkin Ravioli

(makes about 4 servings)

1/2 cup soild pack pumpkin

1 package wonton wrappers

Whole parsley leaves

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

2 tbs olive oil

2 tbs butter (or margarine)

2 minced garlic cloves

3/4 cup shredded Parmesan

2 tbs chopped walnuts

Combine pumpkin, salt and pepper in medum bowl. Place small bowl of water on work surface. Unwrap wontons; cover with plastic wrap. Place four wontons in line on work surface. Brush two wontons with water then place parsley leaf on each wet surface. Top each leaf with another wonton, pressing out air and sealing the edges. Brush one layered wonton with water, then place 1 tsp pumpkin mixture in center of wonton. Top with remaining layered wonton, pressing out air and sealing edges. Cute out ravioli using ~3-inch cookie cutter (or by hand; whatever works). Cover with plastic wrap until ready to cook. Cooking: Bring large pot of water to a boil. Slide ravioli in (you may want to do it in batches). Cook 1 minute or until they float to the surface. Drain. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add butter and garlic; cook 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant. Reduce heat to low. Add ravioli; cook about 1 minute. Sprinkle with parmesan and walnuts and it's ready to serve.

Hot Caramel Apple Cider(in "Apple Glasses)

(makes 6 servings)

6 Apple Glasses recipe follows)

3 cups apple juice

1 cup orange juice

3 tbs caramel ice cream topping, plus additional for garnish

1 tbs ground cinnamon

1tsp ground allspice

1/4 cup rum (OPTIONAL: Scarlet Fever does not condone underage drinking. If you're underage...don't drink.)

6 cinnamon sticks (OPTIONAL)

Prepare apple glasses: Preheat oven to 325F. Slice off the top of six apples. Scrape out the inside (I find a spoon or melon baller does the trick), allowing it enough room to keep shape. Place in 13x9in baking pan and bake 10 minutes. Cool completely.

Combine apple juice, orange juice, allspice and cinnamon in large saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat (stir in rum if desired). Serve in apple glasses. Drizzle with additional caramel. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.

Sour Apple Punch

(makes 8-10 servings)

8 cups apple cider, divided

2 tbs lemon juice

Green and yellow food coloring

2 cups lemonade

3 cups seltzer water

Combine 2 1/2 cups apple cider and lemon juice in measuring cup. Poor evenly into 12 mini muffin pan cups (though I'm sure you could just as easily use and ice cube try or paper and plastic cups). Place one drop of each food coloring into each cup; mix until desired shade of green. Freeze until firm (about 6 hours; I just leave them in overnight). Pour remaining 5 1/2 cups apple cider and lemonade in punch bowl. Remove "apples" from freezer; let stand 5 minutes, then place in punch. Stir in seltzer and serve.

Caramel Apple Pops

(makes 20-25 pops)

Desired candy/nut topping (sprinkles, chopped nuts, etc)

1 package (about 14 ounces) soft caramels

1 tbs water

5 apples (any kind), peeled

Small wooden sticks or lollipop sticks

Place 20-25 paper baking cups on baking sheet; set aside. Place topping(s) on separate small plates; set aside. Combine caramels and water in large saucepan; heat on low. Cook and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Using a melon baller, scoop four to five balls from each apple. Insert stick into apples balls. Dip into caramel, rotating to coat evenly; letting the excess drip off. Roll apples in desired topping . Place in baking cups on prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Let stand at room temp 15 minutes before serving.

Rice Krispy Jack-O-Lantern

(makes 16-20 servings)

6 tbs butter

2 packages (10 ounces each) marshmallows

Yellow, red, and green food coloring

10 cups Rice Krispy (or similar) cereal; divided

1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Combine butter and marshmallows in large microwavable bowl; microwave on HIGH 2 minutes or until smooth. Stir and repeat in 30-sec intervals until well blended. Reserve 1 cup marshmallow mixture in small bowl; set aside.

Add yellow and red food coloring to marshmallow mixture, drop by drop; stir until well blended, adding additional food coloring until desired orange color is reached. Stir in 8 cups cereal; mix well. Divide evenl in prepared pans; let stand at room temperature 20 minutes or until almost set.

Meanwhile, add green food coloring to reserved 1 cup marshmallow mixture, drop by drop; stir until well blended, adding additional food coloring until desired green is achieved. Stir in remaining 2 cups cereal and mix well. Shape into log on a large plate. Let stand at room temp for about 20 minutes or until almost set.

Place 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips in small microwavable bowl; microwave on High 1 minute. Stir; microwave in 30-second intervals (stirring in between) until smooth. Place one cereal mixture layer on serving plate; spread 1 cup melted chocolate over top. Top with remaining cereal mixture layer. Spoon remaining 1/4 cup melted chocolate onto pumpkin to create eyes, nose and mouth. Add green cereal mixture to top of pumpkin; shape to form stem.

Candy Calzones

(makes 16 calzones)

1 package small chocolate candy bars (8 bars)

1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)

1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop candy into 1/4 inch pieces.

Unroll pie crusts on cutting board or clean work surface. Cut out 3-inch circles. Place about 1 tablespoon chopped candy on one side of the circle; fold dough over candy to form a semicircle. Crimp edges with form to seal. Place on baking sheet. Repeat. Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove (wire rack if you've got it) and let cool slightly.

Place chocolate chips in small microwavable bowl; microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Stir; microwave in 30-second intervals (stirring in between) until smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate over calzones. Serve warm.

Spooky Shape Flatbread

2 tbs olive oil

1 package sliced mushrooms

2 8-inch prebaked pizza crusts

2 tbs prepared pesto sauce

3/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend

2 tbs chopped or sliced red bell pepper

Preheat oven to 425F. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 7 minutes or until mushrooms are browned. Remove from heat; set aside.

Using Halloween cookie cutters (or you can free-hand if you're up to it) cut out shapes from the pizza crust. Place on baking sheet. Spread pesto in thin layer over crust. Top with cheese. Arrange mushrooms and peppers to great spooky faces. Bake 8 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Cheesy Bat Biscuits

(makes 8 servings)

1 can (16 ounces) jumbo buttermilk biscuits

3 tbs butter, melted and divided

1/4 cup grates Parmesan cheese

1 tsp dried parsley flakes

1tsp dried basil

Preheat oven to 350F.Flatten each biscuit into shape just large enough to bit 3-inch bat cookie cutter. Cut out bat shape; discard scraps. Place biscuits on baking sheet. Score biscuits to outline bat wings. Brush with 1 tbs butter. Bake 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine remaining butter, cheese, parsley and basil in small bowl.

Split biscuits in half. Spread 1 tsp cheese mixture on bottom half; place top back on. Bake 3 minutes or until golden brown.

*note: That's just the way I learned to make those. If you have a better/easier/tastier way, feel free to share. There's always room for improvement. :D

I'm really excited already! On the bright side, all my presents are bought and wrapped, so it's one less thing to worry about. :D

^ I'd say the same here.

I never heard of candy calzones, I only had some cheese and pepperoni calzones. I'd like to have some fun where you are with this Halloween party, but I live too far away from you sadly. :(

Whatever this is, it sounds fun. I hope things turn out great with your fall party plans. :yes:

Carmel Apple Pops are my absolute favorite thing ever! I would always take them to class so I would have something to keep myself from falling asleep ^_^ I'll definitely have to remember to buy some of those before I start school.

Carmel Apple Pops are my absolute favorite thing ever! I would always take them to class so I would have something to keep myself from falling asleep ^_^ I'll definitely have to remember to buy some of those before I start school.

Lol...I know what you're talking about; those things are amazing. The things I make are pretty much just mini caramel apples. I need to buy a melon baller.

If I remember, I'll post the recipes I have here to share the seasonal foody goodness.

See us Fall babies just love Fall. >.< Unless you have seasonal allergies. It's my favorite time of year. My family's birthday's are 5 months in a row Aug - December so it's a busy and EXPENSIVE time of year. My sister's birthday was last month, and my mom's is the 14th of this month. :D

Speaking of fall food.

Butternut squash.

Oh yaaaay. Cut it in half, scoop out seeds, pack with butter and brown sugar, bake in oven.

That's how you utterly fail at making a veggie? fruit? healthy.

But totes win on delicious.

---

You're carmel apple pops sound awesome! I bet their so CUTE. I love to melon ball things and make them adorable.

It's 60F and foggy out. I'm sipping coffee and breathing deep. I canna wait til the leaves turn and .... fall.

:D

My favorite Fall food is candy corn. I bought a big 'ol bag of it. I ate a bit too much and got a stomachache so I won't be eating it for awhile!

Where I live we have a Home and Harvest festival. I couldn't go last year because I sprained my foot real bad, so this year shall make up for it :woot:

halloween sounds really cool, but i live in holland, and in holland: halloween doesn't exist...

booooooh :'(

but your list is yummy, i...want....halloween...CANDY...NOW!!!!!

Fall is also my favourite time of year. I love the changing leaves and all the smells of autumn. I'm especially looking forward to doing more indoor cooking and baking, now that the temperature is dropping. I'm also looking forward to fall camping. I went swimming yesterday, and it was rather chilly. I'm hoping to go again today, since it's supposed to be hot this afternoon, but it's kind of cloudy right now, so I may not go.

Halloween is my favourite day of the year. My husband and I, along with one of our friends, always try to come up with an elaborate plan for handing out candy. I had thought of an amazing plan earlier this year, but I can't remember what it was now. :(

Thanksgiving is also a plus, since it's a great excuse to make a huge dinner. I love anything to do with making a ton of food. :wub_anim:

I also have lots of fall birthdays. Mine was at the end of August. My sister-in-law and three of my friends have birthdays in October, and my husband, mum, and grandma are all November birthdays.

@Scarlet: Definitely post recipes!

@lisauntie

No Halloween?

:O:O

How unFAIR!

Scary movies, pumpkin carving, RenFest, Spooky Zombie Proms >> Ok that last one's obscure but I'm going to KC RenFest and in October after they're closed they're hosting a Zombie Prom Dinner.

So I'm dressing up like an undead 1950's hipster. And having some fun!

Muwhahahahahahahaha.

I think halloween home made stuff. I mean, I loves the autumn m&m's cause of the colors and stuff but I'm allergic to chocolate sooo. I canna gorge on it like most ppl do on halloween.

I loves the creepy foods! Muffins like zombies, butter cookies shaped into fingers with blood, pumpkin cookies!

Oooh I'm all excited now.

><

Last year my birthday was ON thanksgiving. I think. Or the year before. Nov 25.

Something like that.

Turkey Day Birthday Dinner.

Pretty cool.

At my school, we can wear our costumes to school, no mask though. I don't wear costumes. I am hoping for the Charlie Brown Halloween special to be on Netflix.

I hate carving pumpkins, but love my mom's pumpkin cookies! I also plan on getting my first tattoo in October or November. Not to mention Heroes of Might and Magic 6 comes out in October.

@Nahemah: Aw, That's probably my favorite Peanuts movie (though I do quite like the Valentine one with "the little red-haired girl". lol)

@Sweetdang: I'll probably get to posting those recipes tonight...The ingredients aren't too farfetched, so hopefully you'd be able to find them. :)

Halloween or no, you don't have to have an excuse for spooky food and fun. :D

Yay thanks! :)

For me, the concept of halloween just goes against my religion. But religion is a sensitive topic, and I don't want to offend anybody, so I'll just say that. What you do is fin enough, I don;t think there's anything wrong with that.. but whilst doing that you're celebrating halloween, and it's roots. I know, it's from a celtic family or something like that, originally named All Hallow's Eve. But...

Anyway, thank you! If it's a success I'll send one to you via FAERIE MAGIC. :D

Unrelated, but I'm going to be 24 on the 24th this month too!! Enjoy this busy time of year! We dont celebrtate halloween here in Australia, but it looks like so much fun and I wish we did!!

Yay thanks! :)

For me, the concept of halloween just goes against my religion. But religion is a sensitive topic, and I don't want to offend anybody, so I'll just say that. What you do is fin enough, I don;t think there's anything wrong with that.. but whilst doing that you're celebrating halloween, and it's roots. I know, it's from a celtic family or something like that, originally named All Hallow's Eve. But...

Anyway, thank you! If it's a success I'll send one to you via FAERIE MAGIC. :D

Gotta love that faerie magic. lol

Better make that today that I post, because yesterday got crazy-busy! I'll put it in the first post here in just a sec. :D I'm not religious in any way, shape or form, myself. I just love a good excuse for get-togethers and good food. heh

@Kwa: Woohoo...Birthday twins!

---------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I got a handful of the recipes in spoilers in the first post. I'm taking a break before I type out the last 4. :D

I have not forgotten! I'll finish out those recipes here tonight, most likely. I'm looking forward to today. The fellow is taking me to Michael's to birthday shop. :D He knows me all too well.

So, how did your experiment go, Sweetdang?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You sound like a great mom. My mom is like this she shows how much she loves us all by her food.

Hehe; that's how the women in my family are.

Good gracious...I still haven't posted those last few recipes...I'll get on that now. Edit: Woohoo...Recipes all there now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I never got to make that cake for the kiddo's birthday. We ended up taking a trip to the beach and my future mother-in-law pretty much took over all the plans and decided to have a Mickey/Minnie birthday party (she didn't acknowledge effectively booting me out of planning until it was pretty much set. I was polite and let her have it, because next year we won't even live in this awful state and i won't have to deal with her selfishness, lack of brain-mouth filter, back-handed compliments *trails off*.......Admittedly, I was still quietly pissed about it. I'd been trying to get together with her to make plans for Sarah's birthday since mid-summer. Rant over. Promise. lol). It was wonderful getting to take Sarah to see the ocean for the first time. We came back with TONS of shells. We also went to a mediocre aquarium where she got some toy sharks, a dolphin, and an alligator; and I got some shark's teeth (a little bummed that I didn't find any this time at the beach). All in all, we had a really nice time.

I'll have to try some of those!

I totally understand about the future mother-in-law. Mine is way controlling. I'm a bit worried about a wedding or having kids with her around. I know she'll be mad if I don't include her but I think if I do she will make her opinions the loudest ones. Good luck with her!