The age old question...

dasavo

The question that has had philosophers scratching their heads for centuries... dogs or cats?

I am a dog person. Dogs are loyal, obedient (if you train them correctly) and so much more fun to play with. I can just go in the backyard with my dog and chase her around and she'll chase me back. Cats would never do that. They'll just give you a look of disdain and go back to napping in the sun. Cats are moody, they are almost impossible to play with, and all they can think about is food. You could never go for a jog in the morning with a cat. And cats scratch you sometimes. Without a shadow of a doubt, dogs are the better option. What do you think?

*hides from cat lovers* I'm personally a dog person for only a couple of reasons. For one, I've owned a dog before and it did nothing but want to play and such. Secondly, Cats are somewhat moody and they don't always want you...that's just weird. Lastly, I like large-breed dogs. A german shepard or larger is so fun to play with.

Albeit, I've never owned a cat so there's no possibility that I'd be a cat person.

In my opinion, neither.

I personally find it preposterous how much other people spend on their pets. I've read articles online and the amount of money being spent on dogs/cats/what-have-you is crazy! I believe these funds could be better spent on other things like charity and taking care of people instead.

I'm not against having pets at all, but if I was going to spend thousands of dollars breeding it, having it wear stuff, etc, I can't help but think of the poor people of the world who would be able to have a roof, a bed, and 3 meals a day instead of that money being spent on pets.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion. I do know of how they can be good to society such as:

1. Teaching responsibility

2. Some dogs seem to be able to "detect" when someone is GOING TO GET a seizure/whatever (I watch too much Discovery Channel...)

3. Guard dogs / K9 bomb detecting dogs / Drug sniffing dogs

P.S. Sorry if this somehow puts the debate into a different topic (Pets vs No Pets), but yeah, just wanted to throw my point in here. Otherwise, please do go on with the Dogs vs Cats thing. :)

P.P.S. Interestingly, this anti-affinity of mine with real pets is most probably why I play Neopets instead. :laughingsmiley: It costs 0 to play, notwithstanding internet connectivity costs and a computer, both of which I'd have anyway if I didn't play Neo.

DOGS DOGS DOGS!! I love my dogs so much! I have a Labradore (names Pringle) and a Dalmatian (named Stripes) and they are just my babies (besides my 2 actual daughters, of course). I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have my beautiful dogs. I think everyone should have a dog, they're so much fun!

I used to love both, and actually consider myself more of a dog person, but I can honestly say, I'm a complete cat person.

I've owned 2 cats. (Kind of. I had my sister's cat for 9 months, which is when I fell in love with cats.) I've had my own cat for 7 years this fall. They were totally different personalities (my sister's cat was more like a dog. He loved car rides, going out on a harness/leash, being around people, playing with other animals especially dogs. My cat is the typical cat. He doesn't like to be messed with much, he's not super cuddly.)

I lived with my sister for 3 months, who had a dog. (She's the same kind of dog I planned to get, and thankfully, now I know better.)

While I was there, her dog destroyed, or tried to destroy nearly everything of mine. (My sister had her in training starting early, and practiced with her, but she was a stubborn dog, which we've heard is typical for Shiba Inu puppies. They do eventually grow out of it, and into amazingly loyal and good dogs.) She went after hard cover books, cell phone, cell phone charger, my clothes, headphones, keychains, etc. She was a barker/whiner. She was not at all cooperative with the bathroom process. She required being walked to different areas, generally quite far down the block to go even during rain and snow, all times of day and night. She'd whine, acting like she'd die if you didn't take her out right then, then she'd just play.

So I guess my biggest plus points for cats is that they're generally well-behaved (my cat does like chewing on plastic bags and getting up on the counter tops), quiet, neat, and the litter box is handy. He's cuddly in his own way (He lets me hold him and basically carry him against my shoulder. He sits/naps with my mom during the day when she's home alone and reading, and he sleeps on my dad's legs.) He understand when someone really needs him to be cuddly and he does.

Dogs, other than being allergic, in my experience, are obnoxious (though I'm fairly sure the majority of dogs wouldn't be like my sister's) And they require more up-keep. Between the bathroom thing, walking, playing, exercise.

I'm a dog-person. Cats are annoying. All they do is sleep and eat but dogs are so much more active and they like to take walks. Dogs are more friendly and don't stare for a very long time at you and they don't scratch. Cats seem quite evil. But I don't hate cats. They too can be nice at times.

Cornflakes, your dog looks so similar to mine! What breed is she/he?

Queen, only certain kind of dogs slobber like bull dogs. And dogs poop on grass outdoors and are also neat. If you think I let my dog pooping everywhere in my house, you are wrong. :P

Gammarax, it is true that certain people do exaggerate with their pets and spend way too much on them. However, I would much prefer having a dog than a child. Kids are way more expensive, and become very moody and defiant towards their parents. Doggies are loyal all their life! :)

Gammarax, it is true that certain people do exaggerate with their pets and spend way too much on them. However, I would much prefer having a dog than a child. Kids are way more expensive, and become very moody and defiant towards their parents. Doggies are loyal all their life! :)

dasavo, I hope you're not hoping to replace a dog as a child in your life?! Haha! Although what you say is true, I believe NOTHING will compare with a kid.

Of course, to each his/her own I guess, but a dog will never be able to replace a human being in my life. Especially my eventual child. But I get what you mean. It's even possible your child won't take care of you when you're old, but your dog will stay by you (assuming he can live that long...).

I'm a cat person. Dogs are annoying and bark a lot and cats(especially my Judas)barley make a sound.

And to Gammarax

I have a motto I go by "Cats not kids".

I would rather have a cat as they are easier to care for. Well-trained dogs are nice too.

It's funny to see pet owners argue about this kind of stuff though. So stupid. :)

So...you have neither a cat nor a dog, and you think everyone here is "stupid," so why are you here?

So...you have neither a cat nor a dog, and you think everyone here is "stupid," so why are you here?

She never called anyone stupid. She thinks it's stupid to argue if cats or dogs are better lol

Anyway, my dog randomly died on Monday (la week ago), but I USED to have a dog :P

I like both but don't foresee me owning a cat lol

I'm sorry to hear that! :(

I have two dogs at home (though I'm currently away at college!) but I've had a cat. I think it's kind of stupid to argue over it too - animals are animals! I'll pet and fawn over any pet that will stand still long enough for me to do so :)

Lol I didn't call anyone stupid, Cornflakes. But I do think cat vs dog arguments are silly! Maybe cause I love them both pretty equally! Sorry for wording that post awkwardly. I do have a cat. He's almost 12 years old now. :3

hrtbrk- Sorry to hear about your dog. :-( Rest in Peace, hrtbrk's dog!

I am a dog person. Though I don't mind cats, they usually just hide under your bed somewhere and you barely seem them. (I have a friend with cats, that is the only way I know) Dogs show a lot of love and loyalty. Two of my dogs are a breed that not too many people know (Brussel Griffons) and I have a Cocker Spaniel. I can't find pictures of them but I do have one of my Cocker Spaniel. Brody.png?t=1311110472 His name is Brody! :wub_anim:

I tend to prefer older cats and dogs to kittens/puppies, as they're more placid and well-behaved, generally. I don't own any, myself, but I'd like to get one of each when I have my own place, sometime in the future :)

personally, i prefer dogs for a few reasons

1) I'm allergic to cats xD

2) Dogs are friendly. They want to be with you. I love petting my dog and feeling such soft fur :) In my opinion, I wouldnt want to pay to get a cat only to not see it/have it run away when it sees me

3) You can train dogs. You cant train a cat to do something like stop licking yourself or get off the couch

Sure, debating about pets is pretty silly. I just thought it would be a nice change in the debate section to talk about our pets and what we think about them rather than abortion or murder or grim stuff like that. Talking and debating about pets is a lot more fun I think!

I like both! But I only have a dog. I'm allergic to cats, haha, and when I had one she was actually like, insane. Like, hiding under tables to attack peoples' legs that weren't me, scratching for absolutely no reason, the works. However, some of my friends' cats are total sweethearts, and I love those kinds of cats.

Dogs are so happy to see you when you come home from an awful day at work/an awful exam/etc. It always cheers me right up.