step-families.

Kittyn

anyone else ever felt like they were living the evil step-parent nightmare? I sure do.

things have actually gotten so bad with my step-mother that I'm likely going to skip my step-sister's high school graduation party this coming Sunday. there's one out at my workplace for a girl I worked with last summer and I'm probably going to that.

the weirdest part? more people at the other party think more highly of me than my own family.

yeah. I'm hating this week already.

Yeah, I felt like that growing up with my stepmom. Since graduating high school, I haven't talked to that side of the family. My stepcousins used to steal my money (usually Christmas money), as an example, and do all sorts of other bad things and then I would get in trouble for it. I had a lot of issues with my stepmom too when I was younger.

My stepmother got a bit nicer actually when I got in late high school and helped me not to have to go see that side of the family, ironically. Hold in there - from my point of view, things get better when you get older.

Do what you're most comfortable with.

Sometimes it's easier to love someone from a distance so if you need to separate yourself from the situation, it could do some good. :)

Yeah, I felt like that growing up with my stepmom. Since graduating high school, I haven't talked to that side of the family. My stepcousins used to steal my money (usually Christmas money), as an example, and do all sorts of other bad things and then I would get in trouble for it. I had a lot of issues with my stepmom too when I was younger.

My stepmother got a bit nicer actually when I got in late high school and helped me not to have to go see that side of the family, ironically. Hold in there - from my point of view, things get better when you get older.

mm, kinda the same problem. my step-brother has stolen quite a bit of money from my dad (who has his own dart supply business) and even his mom. they've both been locking up or hiding their money now. I do the same thing just because I don't trust him.

and the saddest part of this is that I AM older. I'm in my 20s and I had to move in with them for a bit because I hit a rough spot this past winter, but I've almost got enough saved to get a place again. ugh, I can't even explain how ready I am to have my own apartment again!! I'm very tired of her telling me that she's the best mother I've ever had and that she loves me just like one of her own kids, when it's very obvious that she doesn't.

thanks for sharing, guys. I'm the only one of my friends that's ever really had this kind of situation (except for my not-boyfriend, but I don't like to make him listen to me vent ^_^), so it is nice to be able to talk about it a little with someone that has.

I'm sorry about your step-family. I know what it's like too. My dad remarried when I was six and I never really liked my step mom. It seemed that she always favored her own kids and my older sister over me. I was always the one who would get yelled at and picked on by everybody, I hated it. My step mom once told me that nobody cares about me, so rude. My sister said our step mom just didn't like me because I wasn't nice to her, but I wasn't nice to her because she wasn't nice to me. However lately since my step mom had a falling out with her son and her daughter is now married and my sister is off at college, she's been a lot nicer to me. It's still slightly awkward when we're alone together, like when just her and I drove to LA to see a circus. But I used to always think I was in a Cinderella story with the two evil sisters and step mother. I just never had a prince to save me.

Keep your head held high and you'll get through it.

I'm sorry about your step-family. I know what it's like too. My dad remarried when I was six and I never really liked my step mom. It seemed that she always favored her own kids and my older sister over me. I was always the one who would get yelled at and picked on by everybody, I hated it. My step mom once told me that nobody cares about me, so rude. My sister said our step mom just didn't like me because I wasn't nice to her, but I wasn't nice to her because she wasn't nice to me. However lately since my step mom had a falling out with her son and her daughter is now married and my sister is off at college, she's been a lot nicer to me. It's still slightly awkward when we're alone together, like when just her and I drove to LA to see a circus. But I used to always think I was in a Cinderella story with the two evil sisters and step mother. I just never had a prince to save me.

Keep your head held high and you'll get through it.

thanks =)

yeah, I've been screamed at (literally) as well. the thing that bothers me the most is that she's always drunk when it happens. I'm definitely a good-time girl (that is, I like to go out and party a lot), but I actually don't drink as often as she does. it's pretty pathetic because I barely come out of my room when I'm home. apparently this offends her too, but I've told my dad that I don't want to because I don't feel comfortable around her anymore.

oh well. just about a month longer and I won't have to worry about it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lucky enough that either of my parents never decided to remarry, but my dad did date a woman for a bit that I thought was going to turn into step-family hell. She was fine by herself... mostly. But she had a daughter that had three kids, and all of them lived with her. Her daughter had this stupid boyfriend, and all they did was smoke pot and yell... one of the woman's granddaughters was okay, but the other one was promiscuous... and her grandson was a total delinquent. My dad was so head-over-heels that he didn't even notice what me and my sister had to put up with, despite the fact that the only fist-fight I ever got in was with her promiscuous granddaughter.

Not to mention she kept telling my dad what was 'wrong' with me and my sister. GIRL PLEASE, we were a thousand times more well-behaved than yo' kids and yo' grand-kids.

My friend was in a similar situation, and his father's girlfriend person kept telling him to put her on birth-control and try to get her to be abstinence. The funny thing was? She was still a virgin.

• 3 weeks later...

I barley knew my biological dad. Heck I don't even remember what he looks like. When I was 5 my mom remarried my step dad, Adam. Since Adam has been with me for so long I consider him my Dad-dad. Adam and my mom got a divorce. He moved back to his homestate and guess what a few years later, he lives in the next state over. He moved from his "comfort zone" of California to Boston! Just so he could see us again.

Eventually, I want to meet my biological dad and his side of the family. My mom and Adam are in full suppourt of that.

• 1 month later...

How's your relationship with your step-sister? are you willing to hurt her because you and your step-mom have issues? Honestly I think you should be there for her, and if your step mother wants to start an argument, be respectful (she is still your parental unit) and don't fight back, remember it takes two to have a screaming match....

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.