above average classes

buzz

I am in 8th grade and I take 11th grade math and 10th grade english. I have to go to the high school. I get made fun of for being a nerd at both my middle school and the high school. Is there anyone else at tdn that takes above grade level classes?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never skipped or flunked a grade but I know someone who's skipped and a lot of people who have flunked. XD I qualify for advance classes but I requested to go to the regular classes because the advanced teachers are much stricter.

Ohhh i lovee highschool!. Moi is in g10, and my friends take g11 french and g11 math. its not that bad, buh they didnt skip, they just took that coarse. i don't think they've been made fun of. but, there always will be atleast one person that will tease you, you just gotta live with it, or talk back lol. thats what i would do.

eh i didn't technically skip, in fact i was out of high school my freshman year(had depression) but the next year since i was behind i went to the 'alternitive' high school where you basically work at your own pace. i remember over hearing a conversation of someone telling a new person something to the effect of 'that girl over there is really smart' or something, i forget if there was an insult in it.. but anyways i ended up finishing all 4years worth of school work in 2. if i had finished the government class one month earlier i could have graduated high school (yes this counts as real high school not a GED) at 16.. but i still got a texas grant for college for $1000 that i qualified for for graduating high school in under 3 years. of course goign there i didnt get any of the normal high school experiances of dances proms peprallys and what not, ut was way too small to hold one and the main high school didnt allow us to goto theirs(rude if you as me)

I take 10th grade algebra nad Im in seventh grade most people thinks it pretty cool...

I've had kids who were younger in my higher math classes and (not to be mean) it is totally funny comparing them to older kids. At our age, 3 years difference is SO huge that putting a younger person into a environment where everyone else is more developed mentally, socially and physically is just absolutely crazy. Although I give kudos to anyone that actually does that. :woot:

(BTW, I've always been about a year ahead of others my age; APs and Honors and whatnot. I'm also into our school's more academic teams like Robotics, KMO, Math Bowl, Science Team :*)

I skipped kindergarten (I know, it's lots different than your situation...) and I take a lot of advanced and above grade level classes. I'm also in 8th grade. I, like, take a 10th grade math class, and the school's most advancedd language arts, and the best band class in our school system. Normally, I would get called a nerd, and stuff, but the thing is, people are much more inclined to tease you if you stand alone. I hang out with the other "nerds" at my school (Not so much nerds, but more the kids in band and advanced classes), so I have lots of people around me a lot. Like, one of my best friends is taking an 11th grade course online. Besides, be proud of being smart! It's the kids teasing you today that'll work for you tomorrow.

I'm taking one-grade-higher math and science, so I understand what you're saying. I got called a nerd too a few years ago but I decided to ignore them. By now, no one calls me a nerd anymore because they know I won't care. Be proud! Besides, most of them call smart people 'nerds' because they're jealous. I know that for a fact, anyhow. It helps if you hang out with friends who respect you for being smart or they're smart themselves. I hang out with people who are 'nerds' but I also hang out with more average people. It's just their attitude towards YOU.

I'm always above my class, and have to do harder work, but i've never skipped a grade. I wouldn't want to leave my friends. :( And those people who called you nerds? They're freaks. :grrr: They're jealous 'cause you're smarter than them.

I don't think you can skip forward a year here but my whole life I've always been at the top of my class. When I was in primary school it was okay because everyone wanted to be at the top but when I went into secondary school and people started slagging smart people I started to be embarassed by my good grades. I soon realised that if people are going to slag you'll they'll always find something. If it wasn't my grades it would probably be something else.

I find it best just not to brag about how well I do but to be proud of myself for putting in the work and achieving the results I deserved. For example about two years ago some people in my class would be asking each other about their results in a particular test and I'd say "I got an A!" and their reply would be, "Well of course YOU got an A". At the time it got to me but now I just think, "Well yeah cos I studied. If you studied well you could have gotten one too". People are always so happy when they beat me in a test...they make me feel happy about myself too even though I wasn't the best I'm just glad to have helped them be happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i never skipped a grade, but i think this counts. When i was in High School (last year, just graduated! yays!) I had finished all of my credits by the end of my 11th year, so i spent my 12th grade year doing college classes for free at the expense of the school district. Was kinda cool to only be at my school for one class out of every two days. Took A+ certification, IB English, and Java 1.

I'm 13 years old and studying in Year 11, and I somehow manage to stay near the top of my class - it gets really stressing.

I'm taking 2-3 years above normal classes except foreign language (I'm a year behind because they just started offering the class this year, so I decided to switch language classes; waste of the first year, because now it doesn't count at all in my grade).

Since 3rd grade I have always been at the top of the class, and I have never gotten teased about being a nerd. People have always told me how much they wish they could get good grades too, and if I could help them study.

In fact, it's a running joke between my friends and I that we make fun of ourselves for being nerds.

When I was in 5th grade, I tested consistently at the 8th grade level and the school people kept pressuring my family to bump me three grades. They let me pick and I chose not to... I've always been glad of that. In 9th grade I skipped up to 10th grade English classes, and I took a lot of AP courses, but that English class sucked. I had an awesome teacher but it took a long time (pretty much until 11th grade, as I stayed with the same group of people in that class until they graduated) for most of the other kids to stop making fun of me. It was the most infuriating thing.

Actually it's weird...now that I'm in fifth year of secondary school and people are realising that good grades means good points in the leaving certificate so now people are saying things like "Oh I wish I could get that good!" and "You're lucky you do so well in school" instead of slagging me for it and calling me a swot