my eyes, they suck. How are yours?

Manta

so I spent a few hours at the optometrist today for the first time in several years...not only do I need new glasses, but I need a second pair to use when on the computer. Hopefully this will help to alleviate the problems I have been having lately. But it'll be quite a change. I've had glasses since I was two, but this will be the first time i need to get a second pair.

so totally random, but my left eye is 20-40 and my right eye is 20-50. I'm farsighted.

Do any of you guys wear glasses? How good are your eyes? :D

*bounces around*

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY GOSH.

I didn't know that was an option! My eyesight is 20/40, approximately. At least that's how they were three or four years ago when I first got glasses.. *counts* Whoa, yeah, four. Almost five. Wow.

So, obviously, my eyes are horrible as well, heh. My left eye can see fairly well-ish without my glasses. But my right eye (my dominant eye) can barely see like a foot and a half away without my glasses. But the fun part is, when I'm reading, or you know, at school in class, I get these really bad eye strain headaches (I pretty much have some form of it 24/7). I have to pretty much take my glasses on and off non stop when I'm reading, and close one eye and adjust the distance from there. I probably need bifocals or something >.<

Stupid eye doctor, haha.

I got glasses in 4th grade. But I have an interesting condition. I have nearly perfect vision in one eye, and horrible, horrible, horrible vision in the other. But it was awesome when I started wearing contacts, because I only have to wear one. Plus, until the last couple years, I could see the same with, or without my glasses. (The only difference was my side vision on the side of my bad eye.)

My country doesn't use the same system so it's difficult to compare. I think my eyesight is at least 400 degrees. Not too good or bad, given that I know several people with 800-1200 degrees and they say that it's almost like being blind.

I can't switch to contacts because I have an eye condition that would result in blindness if I wore them.

I have strange eyes too, apparently the vision in my left eye is perfect, but the vision in the right eye is below the legal limit for driving here in the UK, lol. Fortunately when I've got both eyes open it's fine. I'm supposed to have glasses to wear if I get headaches etc so as to give my good eye a rest, but I can never be bothered wearing them as I'm normally fine. Glasses can be so expensive anyway!

I'm nearsighted, though I don't quite know what your standards seem to be. My eye strength is measured at:

Right eye = -2.0

Left eye = -1.0

Luckily I don't wear glasses (I don't like them), but lenses instead.

I got glasses in the 4th grade, and I've gone through 3 different pairs since. My current pair will be changed next year. I'm farsighted, but I don't remember exact numbers.

I would like to try out contact lenses, but the ones at youknowit.com. I'm pretty sure those aren't prescribed lenses, so I would wear them just for fun.

@Spritzie: Me too! I'm starting to consider contacts now, but I'm so used to how I look with glasses, it'd be weird.

My eye doctor said that all I need was the glasses I have now. He was so off xD

I have strange eyes too, apparently the vision in my left eye is perfect, but the vision in the right eye is below the legal limit for driving here in the UK, lol. Fortunately when I've got both eyes open it's fine. I'm supposed to have glasses to wear if I get headaches etc so as to give my good eye a rest, but I can never be bothered wearing them as I'm normally fine. Glasses can be so expensive anyway!

That's how my eyes are, and because I ignored my glasses for so many years since I could see the same with, as without, my bad eye continued to get worse. But it was possible it might have improved had I worn my glasses those years. :( Plus, it started giving me bad headaches. I recommend checking into it.

@Spritzie: Me too! I'm starting to consider contacts now, but I'm so used to how I look with glasses, it'd be weird.

My eye doctor said that all I need was the glasses I have now. He was so off xD

I'm only wearing glasses now, because I lost my glasses in May 08, never found them, so I had to wear contacts every day until I replaced my glasses 9 months later. My eyes were so tired, I don't even want to think about contacts. So I've been wearing my glasses every day for nearly a year now. But I loved contacts. They were the most amazing thing ever.

I'm almost legally blind. If this means anything to you guys, I am a -5.75 in each eye. I also have an astigmatism in my left eye. I haven;t been to the optometrist in a while... I need to go. Every now and then, words are beginning to jump at me off of a page, or I have to move a book backwards and forwards to gain focus... Not promising... The op said years ago that my vision would plataeu, but it is slowly getting worse and worse. But the laser eye surgery is second on the list of laser/scalpel things to get done! Must get the oversized bust sorted first. The joys of being a lady, hurrah! :D

I have glases since I was 4 ^^"

My left eye was near to be blind (I think it was about 10% of the normal visual faculty)

Its better now, I can take my glasses off if I want I can see and write but it makes me tired. And I'm feeling kind of undressed without them^^"

Just when I'm tired my left eye refuse to work ^^" So I bump into stuff all the time oÒ

But I loved contacts. They were the most amazing thing ever

What do you especially like about the contacts?

I was thinking about getting them but... I don't have problem touching my eye or anything.

But I think It would annoy me to take them out every evening and put them back in in the morning Oo"

And what about the price? Isn't it much more expensive then glasses?

The only thing I hate about my glasses is when its cold outside and you go inside you cant see anything ~-~

What do you especially like about the contacts?

I was thinking about getting them but... I don't have problem touching my eye or anything.

But I think It would annoy me to take them out every evening and put them back in in the morning Oo"

And what about the price? Isn't it much more expensive then glasses?

The only thing I hate about my glasses is when its cold outside and you go inside you cant see anything ~-~

Well, according to my dr, I could sleep in them, as long as I took them out once a week, and left them out over night. So I only took them out once a week, unless they were bothering me.

But my biggest reason, sunglasses. I can wear sunglasses while driving, which is a huge thing for me. If I'm wearing glasses, I can't since I don't have prescription sunglasses and it's illegal for me to drive without my glasses/contacts.

Plus, they're comfortable. I forget I have it in. There's no headaches from them rubbing places, like behind the ears, like there is with glasses. They don't slide around and fog up like glasses. (I'm having issues with that currently because I go between buildings for work, and it's about 2 degrees outside, and 70-ish inside.)

Ummm, price, I think mine around $40-60 for a year's supply. (My parents paid for them, and by the time I was on my own and needing to get them, I started wearing glasses so I don't remember.) But again, I only wear one contact and my eyes are fine, so I wear basic contacts. (My sister's eyes got messed up by wearing colored contacts when she was younger, so she has to buy super expensive ones to not be in severe pain.)

Contacts are great if you take proper care of them. Not doing so means the can develop small tears around the outside rim (Ouuuuuch!), or harden in areas, OR dry up completely! :D

I alternate between glasses or lenses depending on my mood. I love having the choice, and some days when I am feeling lazy, it's so nice to be able to think how I can't be bothered putting my lenses in, and that I'll rock the nerdy librarian + glasses look instead :P

I am very clumsy. For this reason I buy 'monthlies'. I get six months worth at a time, and they are disposable after a month. I take super good care of mine, and only throw them away when they cause me discomfort. I have had some last up to five months from good care :)If you're as short signted as me, if you drop a contact lens, the likelihood of you finding it is nil! Totally recommend even 'dailies' until you get used to them. They're really affordable, and if yu don't like them, you haven't wasted any $$ because you get a pair for each day of the month, and no more.

Good luck! Don't ever be afraid to ask your optometrist the silly questions either. I was terrified that contacts might get lost in 'middle earth' behind my eye somewhere, and be floating aimlessly forever. It's not possible :) Anything that can calm you, and make you feel more confident aout trying them is only a good thing!

*****Oh, ASK FOR SOFT LENSES! You don't want the little hard ones. They were fine in the 80's, they are not so comfy now :-/

I prefer my contacts, I've been wearing them for about 8 years now. I don't mind my glasses much and sometimes where them but I much prefer the mobility that comes with contacts. My vision is terrible. With out contacts or glasses, everything is fuzzy. It's kind of funny because other faces loose all their features in my eyes and people are always shocked at what signs I'm not able to read.

I actually sometimes have an annoyance with people (who are usually hipsters) who wear non prescription glasses for the sake of style. At the end of the day they can take them off and see perfectly fine while we can't. Maybe I'm just bitter because my contacts/glasses aren't covered by insurance. Also I hate being practically blind when I go swimming unless I don't go underwater.

My vision is just fine. I needed glasses for about 3 months back when I was like 11, to correct some slight imbalance, but since then, pretty much perfect I think.

I admit to being guilty to occasionally wearing non-prescription glasses. They just look really good on me! :whistle:

I'm short-sighted and I've had to have glasses since I was 15. I never wear them at home (save for when I'm using the TV, it looks really blurry otherwise) but I wear them all the time when I go outside.

I've never worn contact lenses though ... I do feel I'm a bit like Miyuki from Lucky Star, who is so scared of contact lenses she can't even go into an opticians to ask for them xD

I have cruddy eyesight but I kept losing mine! My short sight is fine and providing I can read I'm happy! I should get more glasses but I can't be bothered to go to the opticians...

I only just got through the driving test as it was more or less a choice of three driving plates I'd have to read. Two of them I could read just about...the other one I memorised before I got into the driving centre!

I prefer my contacts, I've been wearing them for about 8 years now. I don't mind my glasses much and sometimes where them but I much prefer the mobility that comes with contacts. My vision is terrible. With out contacts or glasses, everything is fuzzy. It's kind of funny because other faces loose all their features in my eyes and people are always shocked at what signs I'm not able to read.

Same here, my vision started to get fuzzy in 4th grade when I couldn't even see the chalkboard right from the back when it was perfect a week before! I love my contacts and only wear glasses at night or on lazy days xD

Left eye: -4.50

Right eye: -4.75

I'm nearsighted...either way I found out in my last visit with the eye doctor last month that this summer I'll be ready for the LASIK surgery ^^ Good thing my vision didn't change too much over the years xD

I read somewhere yesterday that if you have good vision in one eye and rubbish in the other that it can affect your depth perception...this could explain why I have issues parking the car, lol.

That's how my vision is. And I do okay. But then again, I rarely don't have glasses or contacts on. (But my doctor did say that with one eye good and one bad, it's best to wear contacts because it's better to have the lens to correct the bad one physically on the eye.