Read any Good Books lately?

-Ryan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the Songs of Eirren duo for like the bazillionth time today...Hero's Song and Fire Arrow. Solid books, I always enjoy them.

my most recent big read was Towers of Midnight though...book 12 of the wheel of time series. SO GOOD! :D

So these are actually little kid books... I found one in an antique store, and really enjoyed it. They were published around 1900, and I am sure you are familiar with the "Wizard Of Oz"? Well this is where all that came from:

List Of Oz Books

They are lightly illustrated, and highly entertaining!

Just finished reading the Dark Towers series by Steven King. I'm currently discussing the ending with a friend, I thought it was perfect and she found it disappointing. Great series in my opinion, I've always enjoyed King's style of writing.

I always have a book open. I'm boring and I enjoy the classics. I've just finished Perfume by Patrick Suskind for the millionth time, again. Prior to that I leafed through High Fidelity, again. I'm a re-reader. I'm now on The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, again. I'm so boring. :laughingsmiley: I also love the Diana Gabaldon books, Twilight and the Harry Potter series. You can NEVER be too old to enjoy them - much like the Narnia series, or Roald Dahl - just like good chocolate, it's great regardless of how ancient you are :D

I love non-fiction also. Anything regarding medieval or Byzantine architecture is brilliant, or anything to do with the social side of medieval life (Not the glitz and glam, it's all about the eww, real life!)Art History is another way to my heart.

Yeah, I'm boring :P

I just read Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and while it isn't the type of book I usually go for, it was really good. The book itself was quite cute. It was featured in John Green's favourite things video and then, of course, every nerdfighter I know bought it. We all adored it.

I've just finished devouring Lauren Willig's The Secret History of the Pink Carnation series. The main stories are about spies during the Napoleonic Wars, (with a side story about a modern-day girl researching the spies' history) but all of the books are actually really funny. It's like historical chick lit with intrigue danger and romance tossed in for good measure. Great stuff.

Just finished reading 'The Light Fantastic' by Terry Pratchett the other day, have been reading the Discworld books all out of order for a while now because I've been borrowing them, but even out of order they're great. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm re-reading my Chuck Palahniuk books right now. I love LOVE him and his twisted brilliant writing. No book has have made me squirm or scar me for life like his book 'Haunted' and I consider 'Rant' one of my favourite books of all time. There is actually consideration going around to make 'fight club' into a musical ahhaha, that would be interesting......

I am reading (in no particular order):

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova

London - Edward Rutherfurd (amazing books. amazing.)

The Firemaster's Mistress - Christie Dickason

I have recently (last three or four months) read (again, in no particular order):

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

What the Body Remembers - Shauna Singh Baldwin

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe

White Fang - Jack London

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Birdman - Mo Hayder

Seabiscuit - Laura Hillenbrand

Door to December - Dean Koontz

The Sum of All Fears - Tom Clancy

Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson

Dead Man's Song - Jonathan Maberry

Harlot's Ghost: A Novel of the CIA - Norman Mailer

With No One As Witness - Elizabeth George

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Mao's Last Dancer - Li Cunxin

If anyone has any particular recommendations I am more than happy to receive comments or inbox messages at any time :P

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Books are my favorite. I wish I had more time for them.

I'm obsessed with children's books. Quite unfortunate. Among them, Yoko, Ferngully, Stellaluna, and Alexander the Alligator (not sure of the title exactly) rank among the highest.

YA: The Westing Game, Prophecy of the Stones, Artemis Fowl series,

Series: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, the Hunger Games trilogy, HARRYPOTTER (yeah. I'm one of those people. :D)

Classics: Wuthering Heights, Great Gatsby, Pride and Prejudice

Random: Alice in Wonderland, The Truth About Forever, Phantom Tollbooth,

Nonfic: I like Malcom Gladwell

I know I'll be lurking this forum, because I'm sure I've forgotten a ton of books and it will really upset me when I remember them. :P

i've recently read lolita by vladimir nobokov, the further adventures of doctor who by terrance dicks, my name is rachel corrie, and a farewell to arms by ernest hemingway.

i'm currently reading great expectations by charles dickens, but it's taking me longer than i expected to get very far into it.

oooh and i started reading pygmy by chuck palahniuk but last time i went to get it from the library it was checked out already.

I really want to read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Has anyone read it yet? I've heard it's really good. ^^

I've read it. It is extremely good. All of his books in that series are. (My husband's favorite is the newest, The Lost Symbol.)

I've just finished 'The Sparrow' by Mary Doria Russell and that is excellent.

I also love everything by Lois McMaster Bujold, particularly her Bujold series.

Other recently read brilliant books:

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch

Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks

Empire in Black and Gold (plus the rest of the series) - Adrian Tchaikovsky

The Hythrun Chronicles - Jennifer Fallon

Kushiel's Dart (trilogy) - Jacqueline Carey

I also love the Dragonlance series (or most of it) and have an unfortunate love for Harry Potter!

Just bought the entire Sherlock Holmes series today (I needed 8 of the books. I had only read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes previously). And I also bought The King's Daughter by Christie Dickason.

Already much of the way in to The King's Daughter. Very happy with it so far. It's done in the first person from the viewpoint of James I's daughter, Elizabeth.

Oooh, I'd second the Terry Pratchett recommend. I own about 10 of the Discworld series books. They're pretty hilarious.

I just read Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell over break. It's kind of long and not very action packed, so you have to have a bit of patience. The quality of the writing is good though, as is the humor if you can get it. It's set in 19th Century England and is sort of like a Jane Austen book in that it centers on social interactions between pairs of characters. It's about friendship and magic.

Neal Stephenson books are pretty good (and I've only read Snow Crash and Diamond Age, which aren't even his best according to my friends), but be warned that he doesn't know how to write endings :P

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Ender's Game 0_o Maybe I just live in a nerd bubble.

That's all I can remember for now. Happy reading :D

At the minute I'm actually reading Michael Mcintyre's Autobiography. It's really very funny. I wasn't sure he would be able to write his comedy so well but it really works! I'd recommend it to anyone needing a little lift :)

I love fiction - harry potter NAMELY :D But I also like books like Cityboy: Beer and loathing in the square mile by Geraint Anderson (a.k.a Cityboy).

It's a true story reworded (so as not to get sued) about investment bankers in London and the peverse immoral world they live in. After reading it you'll seriously be ruffled about what they get up to on the Square mile...

Has anyone read it?

I just finished the Airhead series by Meg Cabot and it's really cool. And never forget the Princess Diaries too :)

Somehow, I plan to read To Kill a Mockingbird and Truth, Dare, Kiss and Promise by Cathy Hopkins.

I'm finishing off the Dragonlance Legends trilogy with Test of the Twins. I'm only 100 pages in and thus far, I am amazed. I have never been sucked into a story so quickly, and I have to be careful and pace myself or I'll end up finishing the whole thing in a few hours. :D