Read any Good Books lately?

-Ryan

I'm finishing off the Dragonlance Legends trilogy with Test of the Twins. I'm only 100 pages in and thus far, I am amazed. I have never been sucked into a story so quickly, and I have to be careful and pace myself or I'll end up finishing the whole thing in a few hours. :D

I love the Dragonlance series. The first book I ever read was Dragons of Summer Flame. From there, I have read almost the entire set of books, and am looking to add them all to my collection, as I get the cash to do so.

I used to own the entire Legends series, but it got lost in a move. I think if I am lucky, I may still have one book. :P

I also like the Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey, The Vampire Chronicles books by Anne Rice, The Shannarah books by Terry Brooks, and The Chronicles of Narnia series, among others.

I liked Twilight, and Harry Potter, but I never read the 7th book because it was ruined for me, and both those series are not ones I would read again. Whereas the series I mentioned in the previous paragraph have all been read more than once, with the exception of the Dragonriders series, which I have not had the chance to read more than once due to how extensive it is, and my being interested in so many books at one time. That, and I have found them fairly hard to get a hold of.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm two-thirds through Walter Isaacson's biography of Albert Einstein. It's a great read, I must say, and it seems to be at least a tad less dry than your average biography. You can see that the author did his research and knows what he's talking about - a lot of the references are directly from recently released Einstein papers (making this book a lot more accurate and detailed than older biographies). It provides an excellent view not only of Einstein's work, but also of his personality and general approach to the universe, and unlike a lot of biographies, it actually owns up to potential ambiguities rather than simply speculating over them.

Overall, if you want to learn about Einstein, I'd recommend this biography highly. :yes:

I really enjoy reading biographies as well, I usually only read what's recommended to me because there can be dozens for just one person. I have started reading Charlotte Gray's Alexander Graham Bell's bio 'Reluctant Genius' and I'm enjoying it so far and I'd really like to find a good bio on Tesla. I'm going through an inventors phase haha.

I just finished reading Crank by Ellen Hopkins and Glass also by Ellen Hopkins, they're part of a three book series, and I haven't started the third book yet, but the first two were very good. They're about a young girl dealing with an addiction, and becoming a mother, and how she deals and struggles, really really good books.

I just finished the Airhead series by Meg Cabot and it's really cool. And never forget the Princess Diaries too :)

Somehow, I plan to read To Kill a Mockingbird and Truth, Dare, Kiss and Promise by Cathy Hopkins.

Finished the Airhead? The third book is out? I didn't know that! I will have to find the book pronto.

As for my reading recently, I just finished the Secret Society Girl series and am currently in love with Poison Study, and Graceling, and Empire Series.

Just finished reading Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Very, very, interesting, disturbing, funny, book. Really easy read too. I will be raving about it to people for a week or so.

Just finished A Game Of Thrones this morning and it was AMAZING!!! i absolutely need to get the rest of the series sometime, although I don't have much time to read for fun this semester xD

I've just finished devouring Lauren Willig's The Secret History of the Pink Carnation series. The main stories are about spies during the Napoleonic Wars, (with a side story about a modern-day girl researching the spies' history) but all of the books are actually really funny. It's like historical chick lit with intrigue danger and romance tossed in for good measure. Great stuff.

Yes I have to say a great book (I have tried to keep reading the series but so many other books get in the way), but for all people who have innocent minds, or can't stand the thoughts behind a bedroom door- this book isn't for you. But most likely you won't care because your the historical chick lit reader.

I just finished the Airhead series by Meg Cabot and it's really cool. And never forget the Princess Diaries too

I have read the Princesse Diaries Series also, one of my favorites ever. But sadly Disney let me say in subtle terms took advantage of the story plot.

But I do say you should read the Lightening Girl Series and the Mediator- I don't personally like how Meg Cabot ends her series though. She usually makes me all puzzled, and I always think she could of end the series so much better.

I just finished reading Crank by Ellen Hopkins and Glass also by Ellen Hopkins, they're part of a three book series, and I haven't started the third book yet, but the first two were very good. They're about a young girl dealing with an addiction, and becoming a mother, and how she deals and struggles, really really good books.

There's a third book! Why haven't I heard of this, shoot now I have to add another book to my 100 book list. You got to love this series, but sadly the books are so expensive for how quickly you can read them. Also I say you should read Burned (I can't exactly say what the plot was about, but it was pretty good, but note it made me cry for a good 10 mins. at the end.) And you should Impulse- which is about 3 teens who are at an "asylum" and they all have their back story why they are their and how they impact on each other, but note again this was a pretty depressing book.

Well the series I'm reading right now is The Narnia Chronicles, which I'm finding out is really interesting. I'm only to the second book so far though. And while I'm doing other things I'm listening to Inkheart, I would be reading it but... the library did have the CD version. So I thought why not read and listen to two series at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly recently, I've been reading Machiavelli's The Prince.

I really need to get back to The Black Company series, though. I love it, but I put it down upon hitting a real dry spell in the book (I think I'm on the 5th or 6th).

I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--only because I've never really found the time to read it til now (oh, and I refuse to watch the HP films til I finish the book LOL). Currently in Chapter 26. Wish me luck! XD

How did you put off reading it for so long?! Good luck :) Take your time with it...my biggest regret is I read it start to finish the day it came out.

Right now I'm reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series on recommendation from my boyfriend. On the fourth novel, Wizard and Glass. It was hard starting the first one but once I was into it I haven't been able to stop! Haven't read much Stephen King before, only The Shining and Pet Semetary but I think I'll look into more after I finish this series.

If you haven't ever read it, I highly recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And don't cheat and watch the movie, it doesn't do the book justice. Douglas Adams was a literary genius.

Another excellent author is Stanislaw Lem. I'd recommend starting with the Cyberiad, it's a lot like what Douglas Adams writes.

I read a really girly book and actually enjoyed it... xD don't judge me (I have to read the books cause I'm on the Library Advisory Board)! :P

Need by Carrie Jones

It's basically like a really different Twilight spin-off, that I personally think with actually good actors, would be a terrific movie :)

I'm gonna be heading out to go pick up Anne Bishop's new book in about a half hour. She only releases one per year, and they're always fantastic. It's like a second Christmas for me. ^_^ This one is going to be a collection of short stories set in her world... I'll edit later and tell you guys how it is.

Edit: Looks like this one is going to be her last. Stupid me, I skipped ahead to the short story I've been wanting to read the most, which happened to be the last one. Definitely a bad idea, because it's about the main character moving on when another main character who was his wife dies, so the whole story is different. Now that I'm settling in to read the other ones, it just doesn't feel right because I've already said goodbye and grieved with the main character over her, and now she's back.

Lesson here? Don't ever skip ahead. They're in that order for a reason!

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'was' an amazing book. Funny and different from anything else I've ever read.

Saw a tattoo online of someone who had "Don't Panic" on their forearm. If only I was into getting book tattoos...

Oooh, I'd second the Terry Pratchett recommend. I own about 10 of the Discworld series books. They're pretty hilarious.

Yeahh boi! :D Terry Pratchett is awesome! I was reading Equal Rights at work (I'm a slacker, I know) and about 4 people came up to me to say how much they loved his books.

I just finished reading Phantoms by Dean R. Koontz and MY GOD is it terrifying!!! Gave me nightmares. Not a book for the faint hearted!

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson is a great read. A little more bloody than what I typically go for but still very good. The only sad thing is that it's the first of ten and the book just came out this past summer! I'll be eagerly awaiting the arrival of the second book. :) Some of my favorites are the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier and just about everything by Tamora Pierce. I'm excited to look into some of the other books in this topic. I'm a big fan of sci-fi and fantasy.

I've been reading new (to me) series. It's a sci-fi/alternate history story. So far, there's 5 books, and I'm just about to finish the second one.

It's the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson.

It's not my normal type of book, but it's incredibly interesting. The writing/story telling is great, and the ideas and concepts are fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished A Storm of Swords last night. I'm still in OMG wut mode. :laughingsmiley: And more than a little miffed that I left my copy of A Feast for Crows at home...