Neoquest II Insane

Octopus

Neoquest got boring so I decided to start Neoquest II Insane. I'm doing okay so far but I'm not sure what to spend my gold on.

For those who have finished the game, was it worth it to buy 20 of each slowing and hasting potion in existence? If not, what's the best item to stock on, in your opinion?

I think I only started buying haste and slowing potions somewhere around chapter 2 in Terror Mountain. In the first chapter and a half, I found them pretty useless.

I definitely think you should start stocking up on them somewhere in chapter 2. There isn't that much else to spend money on, after all. I bought new weapons only sporadically, as I like to rely on the weapons I get by beating bosses, as well as from beating monsters. Just remember to always have at least two resurrection/awakening/whatever it's called potions on you at all time. :yes:

Buy weapons and armor only when REALLY needed, and don't even bother with Velm and Mipsy's weapons.

Stock up on potions but not too many so you can upgrade your types of poitions every new chapter.

Healing potions need to be full whenever possible.

I only know normal but from what I've seen buying weapons is a waste of time once you have got the boss ones as they have the status upgrades and are stronger over all. I buy alot of potions, but tend to use the haste and slowing from abilities not potions...

When I read your reply while playing Chapter 1 I was like, but none of the bosses are giving me anything! Chapter 2 is treating me a lot better so far :)

By the way, would you recommend Ranged Attacks or Shockwave for Talinia? I was thinking the former would be better against KTII but the latter would help in all other boss fights...hmm...

Mesmerization can be useful, but it depends on what other skills you have. For example, if your Mipsy has Group Direct Damage (instead of direct damage), and you want Talinia to use her multiple targets, obviously mesmerization won't work.

If you are not planning on using GDD and multiple targets, it's probably a good idea to spend 3 or 4 on it before you get to the Faeries. I think that's what I did. Velm's 4 main skills should be group healing, group shielding, and the two innate skills, but you can afford to drop about 3 pts or so in something else.

When I fought the faeries I think I had 3 pts in mesmerization and 11 in each of the four above-mentioned skills.

What does Velm's current skill set look like? If you actually maxed out already one of the skills (which is never a good idea, IMO), then you might not be able to afford dumping pts into mesmerization.

I strongly recommend the guides in In-Depth NeoQuest Guide at www.idnq-guide.com. I hope that helps you out!

The website is pretty helpful, but it's definitely more useful for neoquest i than neoquest ii.

There is only one actual neoquest ii guide on the website, http://www.idnq-guide.com/index.php?page=viewguide&id=47

and I disagree with some of the suggestions, especially the one about spending 15 in each of four skills, which is pretty counterproductive.

Mesmerization can be useful, but it depends on what other skills you have. For example, if your Mipsy has Group Direct Damage (instead of direct damage), and you want Talinia to use her multiple targets, obviously mesmerization won't work.

If you are not planning on using GDD and multiple targets, it's probably a good idea to spend 3 or 4 on it before you get to the Faeries. I think that's what I did. Velm's 4 main skills should be group healing, group shielding, and the two innate skills, but you can afford to drop about 3 pts or so in something else.

When I fought the faeries I think I had 3 pts in mesmerization and 11 in each of the four above-mentioned skills.

What does Velm's current skill set look like? If you actually maxed out already one of the skills (which is never a good idea, IMO), then you might not be able to afford dumping pts into mesmerization.

Velm has:

Group Healing: 11

Innate Melee Defense: 11 (+3)

Innate Casting Haste: 11

I have three unused points because I don't know whether to invest in GS or mesmerization at this point (I was thinking of maximizing the three skills above and GS by the end of the game). The problem is that some of Talinia's skills might be put to waste, namely, Multiple Targets, which I have up to 7.

Great skillset :D I approve lol.

I would definitely suggest that you start investing in group shielding. You are still in chapter 3, right? You'll probably find group shielding already useful for some of the bosses in that chapter. It's not a bad idea to keep some pts for the end (very good, actually :D), but group shielding is a must and you can start investing those pts now.

In the end, you probably won't need to invest 15 points in each of the 4 skills you intend to max out (aka Group healing, group shielding and the two innates), so you'll have two or three pts left to dump somewhere else. Might as well do it in mesmerization, cause celestial hammer and healing will be useless :P

I am so glad to see a NQ thread. I just finished NQII (on normal, mainly to get the avatars :P) and am in the middle of NQI. I agree that IDNQ does not help much on II except for the great maps. The guide I used that I found to be very helpful was this pet page:

http://www.neopets.com/~winnie_1964

Very thorough coverage of the chapters and individual boss strategies. They also go through the best way to spend your points.

HTH

Great skillset :D I approve lol.

I would definitely suggest that you start investing in group shielding. You are still in chapter 3, right? You'll probably find group shielding already useful for some of the bosses in that chapter. It's not a bad idea to keep some pts for the end (very good, actually :D), but group shielding is a must and you can start investing those pts now.

In the end, you probably won't need to invest 15 points in each of the 4 skills you intend to max out (aka Group healing, group shielding and the two innates), so you'll have two or three pts left to dump somewhere else. Might as well do it in mesmerization, cause celestial hammer and healing will be useless :P

Thanks, your advice has helped a lot!

I am up to the final boss left Chapter 3 and already have this huge reserve of points for Velm (indecision :P). I hope that a boss will drop something for him soon, because virtually everything so far has gone to Rohane!

I already use all of the sites above but thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like Velm's Group Shielding. It's hard to tell whether it's effective or not, but if you're not using the skill points for anything else, it's nice to have. Velm's not a good offensive player, so I don't really like the Celestial Hammer, and as said before, Mesmerization doesn't do much good if you're using Multiple Targets from Talinia. I would max out Group Healing before concentrating on the Shield though because it tends to be more effective.

A lot of things on Neopets are unfair unfortunately :(

Hopefully you'll get something good elsewhere on the site to compensate. Or they could make another game that gives out more balanced prizes :P