Lending for Free?

briliegh

Free Lending  

29 members have voted

1. 1. If you've been lent for free, does it mean you're undeserving of that avatar?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends

I was on the Avatar Chat today, and a girl who was lending FQD for free was scammed out of it by another user.

One person came on her scammer alert board basically saying that it was her fault for lending for free, you should never lend for anything less than full collateral, and maybe she wouldn't be so stupid next time.

I went on and said that not all people who are lent for free or low collateral are scammers. I myself have been lent FQD, Chokato, ITTPD, Adam, Icy, Robo, and all basics for free. I lend out all basics, robo, ITTPD, HT, Snow, Harris, and Mazzew for free when I'm in the mood to lend, and I still have yet to be scammed.

He told me that if I had been lent those items/neopoints for free, then I was undeserving of those avatars and I was a beggar.

I told him that I hadn't made boards asking to be lent for free, it was the lender's choice to lend me for free. I had full collat for most of them. The lender decided I was trustworthy enough to be lent for free. He said that still meant that I was undeserving of the avatars, because I COULD have scammed that user. I was then told that I was a beggar and too lazy to play the game like he was.

Does being lent for free mean I don't deserve those avatars? Does being lent for anything but full collat mean I'm undeserving of those avatars?

What about people who make boards; are people asking to be lent for free undeserving of the avatar? Are people asking to be lent for low/partial collateral undeserving of the avatar?

I had never really thought of it that way, so I decided to come here and see what other people thought about the issue. What are your thoughts? Here are some scenarios discussed on the board I was on...

Scenario 1- Sally made a neoboard asking to be lent ZDAP. She said she had 4 mil collat in a mix of ETS and HTS. A lender comes by and agrees to lend her for just the ETS. Is Sally undeserving of that avatar and/or a beggar?

Scenario 2- Billy goes onto a SuAP lending board. He asks to be lent for free because he totally just spent all of his neopoints. After much conversation, he is lent. Is Billy undeserving of that avatar and/or a beggar?

Scenario 3- Alice neomails her old neofriend Linda asking if she could borrow her BGC for free or low collateral, because they were such good neofriends. Linda agrees, but it took her five hours to get her BGC returned because Alice went offline. Is Alice undeserving of that avatar and/or a beggar?

Scenario 4- Clyde found a Meowy lending board. He said he's been lent all other avatars for free, and becomes offended when the lender tells him no. He messages the girl who was lent instead of him and asks to be lent Meowy before the girl returns it to the original owner. Is Clyde undeserving of that avatar and/or a beggar?

Scenario 5- Corey has been playing neopets for four years. She only has 142 avatars. She makes a board asking to be lent Chokato for what collat she does have (which is minimal to close to nonexistant) and happens upon a lender who agrees to lend her for that amount. Is Corey undeserving of that avatar and/or a beggar?

I don't believe that being lent for free makes you unworthy or a begger, but I don't think I'd be trusting enough to lend for free...

Also, if you get that kind of comment again I'd suggest very politely to them that if they believe then doesn't being lent an item for an avatar at all make them unworthy? They didn't actually spend their neopoints on that item and they didn't own it. See how quickly that makes them back away.

EDIT: However, if they nick the item...then they are undeserving and should be reported immediately. I'm sure it counts as scamming...

This is hard to decide because I think that it depends on the person. Although I said no on the voting poll, I kind of think that it depends. If you're the type of person to always ask to be lent, then you don't deserve it at all. But if you're the type of person who would participate in lending associations like for example: TDN's avatar lending program, then you deserve what you've waited for. You might have gotten it without paying neopoints, but little do you know that it cost you time and patience in order for to get it and I believe that time is money in itself. So, nonetheless, you are worthy of receiving the avatars.

If somebody stole the item, then they're absolutely undeserving and deserve reporting. No question about that.

I think if you just joined neopets and made a board begging to be lent MSPP because you're 'totally trustworthy, man' then you probably don't deserve to be lent. Overall, I think it's situational and depends on the lender and lendee. I was told I was wrong xP People can't have opinions nowadays.

Well it depends. I mean you can't just judge the person. if I was to lend someone something, then I would chat with them first. And see if they are new and whatnot. I mean 'newbie' titles on accounts are always questionable, but really, what if they had their account frozen and they wanted to restart on a new account. I don't know. Maybe they would be questionable, BUT they aren't undeserving at all.

If they steal the item, then they are known to be undeserving. I mean they did a complete no-no. xD

Yeah, people with opinions nowadays aren't wanted. xD Even in the real world. xD

To me, it depends if you tried to get the avvie before. If you didn't and just asked for it out of nowhere, then you don't deserve it. But if you tried to get it, but you can't no matter how many times you tried, and ask for it, then it's alright.

Honestly this guy that called you (or anyone for that matter) a beggar was just not having his day. You get lend avatars usually out of kindness, not out of stupidity. Calling people a beggar because they cannot afford SuAP or something is just extremely silly. Some item avatars are just really expensive, and I don't see the 'stupidity' of helping people out by lending it to them (whether that is for free or not).

Personally I'd lend for free... Or give the item to TDN's avatar lending program. They're just pixels after all.

I think, in a lot of cases, that people don't deserve their avatars if they've made boards asking to borrow for free because they don't have any collateral. Honestly, if the people asking to get things for free spent the half time they use making boards to actually play the game - they could have something to offer for collateral. In my opinion, its different if they have collateral, even if its not full. They've people who have tried to do what they can. But the ones who mail me or make boards with lists of all these items they've been lent for free, and use that as the reason why they should get to borrow my items for free? To me, thats begging.

I've worked hard for everything I have; its sad that people can get things so easily now. Its teaching that its not worth putting in the work because its become acceptable to ask for things for nothing.

I wouldn't lend strangers things for free (unless they were cheap things) - it's just letting yourself be open to theft. I think people who are lent for free still deserve it - the requirement says you need the item. It doesn't say how. Say after prices sky-rocket on a new avatar item, and you find it in your gallery. You spent 2 NP on it - and you don't deserve it? No, it doesn't matter how you get it, provided you do not steal it.

If I ever wanted to lend an item to someone (and I won't because I don't have anything worthy of lending :)) I would check things such as how many avatars, trophies, gallery quality, etc. they already have because they require considerable time and effort to accumulate and so might indicate that they are reliable.

Well, sure, I don't lend to just anybody. I check their account age, games played, avatar count, pets, shop and gallery size, about me, and I like for them to chat for a little bit.

And I don't think people making boards asking to be lent for free, rather than spend that time building up collateral, should be lent, but being lent free doesn't mean you're a beggar.

I think it would be a little insane if every single one of us saved up enough money for our own SuAP, BGC, MSPP (TCG), etc. because there are only so many in existence :/

Its a little different for SuAP and MSPP, than say Icy Snowflake though, don't you think? The people who make boards asking for that because they don't have any collateral? Yeah, in my opinion that is lazy and they are begging. Ditto for the mails I get asking for Meowy, ZDAP and Chokato from people who have less than 100k. If people are willing to try they can make that in a day. I think 5-10mil is actually reasonably easy to earn in the game if you put in the effort.

I have nothing against people who have less-than-full collateral, provided they can show something. Its all about the effort, for me. I do think asking to borrow when you've got basically nothing to offer is begging *shrugs*

And what if something goes wrong while you have the item? Its happened, the Pant Devil or Grundo Leader... if you've got nothing, how can you expect to compensate the lender if you lose their item? Even if you DON'T steal it; there are other ways to lose an item.

asking to be lent an item for free is begging, it's pretty easy to earn neopoints with games or if you're good at restocking. on the other hand, if someone trusts you enough and doesn't ask for collateral, that doesn't make you unworthy.

Sure, it's a different scenario. The difference in value of those items is astronomical. Sort of unrelated though, Izzy, do you prefer collat it ETS or pure, or a different combination? I've seen some lenders say 'pure only', or ETS only.

Keep the opinions coming, guys :)

I think there's different ways to look at it, depending on how the person goes about it. If they're annoying, badgering people to be lent for free... that's obviously begging and quite rude. (I won't go as far to say anyone doesn't deserve an avatar. I think that's going over the top.)

Then there's people that might ask for free, but state why they don't have the collat. (When I think about it... that doesn't really make sense. :laughingsmiley: ) Okay... I'll re-do that scenario. They ask to be lent for a lower collat, and explain what they have, or why they can be trusted. (Like others have mentioned, their account age, avatar count, the effort put into their account in general.)

Then there's the people with the full collat. Whether they get lent for full, or free, or part.

But I don't think asking for free, or being lent for free... makes people "unworthy" of the avatar.

Sort of unrelated though, Izzy, do you prefer collat it ETS or pure, or a different combination? I've seen some lenders say 'pure only', or ETS only.

As a preference, I prefer ETS items - simply because then I can lend via the trading post :P I do routinely do pure NP lends for the ALP though, its just harder because we both need to be online at the same time and I work fairly long hours during the week.

If people trust you enough to lend you items for free and you give it back without any trouble, why wouldn't someone be undeserving of the avatar?

imo if you don't steal the item that you're being lent for free, you deserve the avatar.

I personally think that if a person is willing to lend you an item/whatever to get an avatar with or without collateral then that's that person's issue. They know that they are potentially going to get scammed and that's a risk they know they are taking.

As for "undeserving" - Who cares what they think? You got the avatar because you had what you needed to get it, what difference does it make how you came about getting it?

The only scenario that I would say is kinda shady is #4 and hope that TNT would bust would be number 4 because it's not the girls item and shouldn't be lending it out to people without the owner's permission.

I don't believe you would be considered a begger or such unless you bothered some person constantly about the item, but here is what I believe.

I would rather have the full collateral of the item rather than being lent for free because it would just make me feel more accomplished that I was able to get the avatar like the first people had to, with hard gaming and no easy ways out. Being lent for free isn't exactly bad, it is just more or less not really earning the avatar.

I would also never lend any items for free or less than full Collateral because I have been scammed before on a different game. It is not that I don't trust that person in particular, it is just that I don't trust the community. Now, the people of Neopet's are constantly being scammed, cheated, cheating, scamming, hacking, etc., all for a stupid online game. I believe there is more benefit and respect in doing that kind of stuff in the real world, even if the respect and Benefit is very low.

So, here is my words for the wise(Or dumb...);

If you are going to scam and cheat, do it in the bank, not the port-o-potty.

No, never. Some people just can't get as far ahead on the site as others. I think that guy on the board, and others who think that way, are getting all worked up over nothing. It's just an avatar. It doesn't matter if you worked hard and feel cheated if others get it so easily, that was your choice. Just like I choose not to go after avatars at all.

In my own personal opinion, just because you are lent something does not make you unworthy. The person that called you this is, well, not a very nice person. You are obviously upset that said person put you down. Who are they to judge? Keep that in mind, as you oggle your nice avvie count. :)

I have only asked to be lent one avatar- Icy Snowflake- with full collateral. When/if I ask for more, you bet I will be as happy for those as the ones I bought myself. Do I care what strangers on the boards think of me? Nope!

On the other hand, the people that steal lenders' items are unworthy of not only the avatar but of a Neopets account.

In my own personal opinion, just because you are lent something does not make you unworthy. The person that called you this is, well, not a very nice person. You are obviously upset that said person put you down. Who are they to judge? Keep that in mind, as you oggle your nice avvie count. :)

I have only asked to be lent one avatar- Icy Snowflake- with full collateral. When/if I ask for more, you bet I will be as happy for those as the ones I bought myself. Do I care what strangers on the boards think of me? Nope!

On the other hand, the people that steal lenders' items are unworthy of not only the avatar but of a Neopets account.

It didn't really upset me, I had just never thought about it like that before, and wanted to know what people on TDN thought :)

• 1 month later...

Wow, I wish I had the luck to be lent some of those biggie items for free. And that people are that trusting is amazing. Sad to say but I know I couldn't be that trusting. The guy who got offended was being silly. If you come across a good deal then go for it. However, scenario 4 is shady. I don't think people should go out there expecting people to lend them stuff for free but should be grateful when it happens. I think your are a beggar when you ask and then get angry when it doesn't happen.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't bump topics that are over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.