Am I the Only One Who Dislikes the Dress Your Pet Option?

nbbug132

I've been on Neopets a long, long time. My account is over 8 and 1/2 years old, but I had a couple of accounts older than that which have been lost in my youth due to inactivity. However, I only very recently started actively playing again (it was Key Quest that got me to come back).

I like a lot of the things that have changed in my absence (and a dislike a lot of them too) but the thing I dislike the most is the dress-up option. I think it's silly and I have yet to see a single item, outside the items that come with pet colors, that looks good on a pet. It seems to me that it's a waste of NPs and cash to buy dress up items.

I am ok with the backgrounds, but the actual clothing drives me nuts. Am I the only one?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated it at first (it felt like a paper doll site), but it's starting to grow on me. Some, not all clothes, are pretty fun. But, I still prefer pets that can't be dressed like Mutants and Maraquans. (My Mutant Kau will never wear a T-shirt!)

The customization made them change pets into one universal position. I don't like the clothing feature at all.

I think they're ok, but if I had the option to change from the dress up neopets to the old neopets, I'd go with the old pets. Of course, they would have to improve all the art of the old pets, too. Some of the pets were hideous before the revamp.

I would have been with you.. I don't think I even thought of dressing my pet the first year it got released, but as I grew and the game grew, I thought it was a really nice option! You should just get used to it, that's all :)

I'm not too fond of the dress up option, which is why I don't take it. It's just not for me. Plus, I don't want to spend any real money on fake clothing.

I've bought Premium before, but I will never buy Neocash.

When I took a break from Neopets, there was no customization. When I came back, there was. In the beginning, I thought it was crazy. I refused to use anything but backgrounds. (I thought backgrounds were perfect, because I didn't like the blank behind the pets.) But now I do use other items. Usually, they're more accessories, than clothing. (Like holding items, or tiaras/necklaces.) But I think it's fun.

I think they're ok, but if I had the option to change from the dress up neopets to the old neopets, I'd go with the old pets.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread title.

When customisation first happened I was angry for ages, especially at the fact that quite a lot of pets got 'revamped' and only some of them remained UC. I was quite bitter about 'losing' my old mutant Xweetok. :c

But I've gotten over that by now. I can't help liking Neopets. I keep coming back to it. :D

I thought it was stupid at first, and yes some pets look awful in clothes (like Hissis and Grundos), but I love that I can play dress-up with my pets. I especially love backgrounds! Additionally, I thought the implementation of the customisation feature was a nice way for Neopets to catch up to the rest of the internet. :)

I returned to Neopets well after the NC Mall came into being, and initially thought customization was, well, strange. But for some reason I was pretty happy with the new pet looks :>.

The customization made them change pets into one universal position.

I don't really like it for that reason either. In theory, I think it's a good idea as it lets people's pets truly be unique, but the changes they had to make to make it worth their while to code for it is meh. I am glad about some of the pets being grandfathered (I like my Maraquan Chomby and my Plushie Aisha EXACTLY as they are), but part of the charm of some of the more 'exotic' colors (such as faerie, darigan, grey, plushie, royal, etc) was that they were in different poses and a slightly different design than the basic colors. Customization took that away. If you still had a choice of which you wanted and could choose the old one at the price of not being able to customize, that would be fine. After all, they still have all the images, and many (if not all) of the paintbrush display "shops" still have the pre-customization designs.

They could have handled some of the position changes better too. Like some of the grey pets don't even LOOK sad anymore. Changing their physical pose is one thing, but taking away the emotion factor just ruins it. Same with some of the Darigan pets, they don't look nearly as menacing.

And I REALLY could do without the whole fist on the left hand. Especially on the Koi, it looks AWFUL.

But like I said, good idea, but could have been implemented MUCH better.

Yeah I remember when I got back into neopets I refused to put anything on my neopets :laughingsmiley: But I guess it can be kinda cool, breaks up the white background. Plus its good for those who dont have alot of neopoints to spend on paint brushes to have a cute pet :)

As far as customizing goes I am not a huge fan. I think I have one pet that i truly like the way he looks with clothes and that is my orange grundo. Other then though they all look funny.

In theory, I think it's a good idea as it lets people's pets truly be unique, but the changes they had to make to make it worth their while to code for it is meh. I am glad about some of the pets being grandfathered (I like my Maraquan Chomby and my Plushie Aisha EXACTLY as they are), but part of the charm of some of the more 'exotic' colors (such as faerie, darigan, grey, plushie, royal, etc) was that they were in different poses and a slightly different design than the basic colors. Customization took that away. If you still had a choice of which you wanted and could choose the old one at the price of not being able to customize, that would be fine.

They could have handled some of the position changes better too. Like some of the grey pets don't even LOOK sad anymore. Changing their physical pose is one thing, but taking away the emotion factor just ruins it. Same with some of the Darigan pets, they don't look nearly as menacing.

And I REALLY could do without the whole fist on the left hand. Especially on the Koi, it looks AWFUL.

But like I said, good idea, but could have been implemented MUCH better.

I pretty much wanted to say everything you did. I hate the stupid fist. Why would they think that was good? I miss the old grey pets too they looked so much better. My favorite is the now UC grey grundo. I wish i could just go back and not have my pets converted automatically like they were. I want my old pets back.

I thought it was cool at first, but now when I go to look at some user's neopets, they're all cluttered by backgrounds and clothes and random accessories. It gets a little annoying, and looks sort of gaudy sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've said this several times in other places, but I love customizing. It's what I do on Neopets. And I completely disagree with you that there's few clothes that look good on them. I love a lot of the different clothes. If you don't like it then just don't do it. No one's trying to force you. I think it's silly that some people would be so peeved about it.

I kind of watched the whole "customization" thing grow. I've never really had a huge problem with it, I dress up my pet and get clothes (only NPs, never real cash) to put on her. I kind of like the idea of it.

However, it kind of kills the "work for the PB." In the begining of neopets the goal was to get that awesome paintbrush to decorate your pet, now all you have to do is buy a couple items and you also have a cute pet. Especially for those "richie" kids who buy NC like it's life or death, it's unfortunate. But I guess I don't really have a problem with the dress up feature. ^_^

Ugh...Ok. *steps on soapbox* I do not like it either. They are pets. I wear clothes, my real life pets do not.Why would my Neopets want to wear clothes? Mine do not feel shameful lol. After all, they do not have parts drawn on that need covering up. I wonder how far TNT will take this, will there be clothes for petpets coming out soon? Then petpetpet clothes?? haha

Backgrounds and trinkets I do like and agree with. :)

Alrighty. *steps off soapbox*

I don't mind customization. I refuse to spend real money on a virtual site, so I don't use neocash, and I don't really like many of the actual clothes. But I like a lot of the backgrounds and little items that aren't technically clothes. I do wish that the old pet poses were still around, though. I much prefer those to the new poses.

I don't really like customisation. If anything happens to your pet, only their face changes, and not their whole pose like in the past.

I thought it was cool at first, but now when I go to look at some user's neopets, they're all cluttered by backgrounds and clothes and random accessories. It gets a little annoying, and looks sort of gaudy sometimes.

I agree. "Gaudy" is exactly the right word for most people's pets.

I dislike customization. My pets have never worn anything, and the only reason I converted them was because I didn't quite understand what was going on since it was so new, and to see what it would be like. I didn't like it, but unfortunately I was stuck with it.

Ugh...Ok. *steps on soapbox* I do not like it either. They are pets. I wear clothes, my real life pets do not.Why would my Neopets want to wear clothes? Mine do not feel shameful lol. After all, they do not have parts drawn on that need covering up. I wonder how far TNT will take this, will there be clothes for petpets coming out soon? Then petpetpet clothes?? haha

Backgrounds and trinkets I do like and agree with. :)

Alrighty. *steps off soapbox*

First, I want to reiterate that I do not like customization. But, to play devil's advocate, you say you dislike customization because real life pets don't wear clothes. However, Neopets are often subjected to anthropomorphism, that is, attributing human qualities to non-human things. Look at any of the plots, or the fact that they themselves have pets. All of the Neopets in plots wear clothes, so why shouldn't mine? If my pet ran into Roxton A Colchester III or Dr. Sloth, she might be pretty embarrassed because she's not wearing clothes!