Why Israel deserves some support

Seliphra

So...the Gaza strip, the boarding of aid ships....this all seems unreasonable, but is it? Out of context yes, so lets put in the background shall we?

We'll start with the occupation of the Gaza strip, something people protested the world over. Israel did not go in because they wanted territory, but because of Hezbollah, the terrorist group operating there. Scud missiles were being fired, usually around two or three a day, and the people in the townships along the border had to sleep in bomb shelters at night instead of a bedroom. For three weeks Israel did what everyone told them to do and bit their tongue. For three weeks they did nothing, made no attempt to defend themselves and the missiles kept coming. Finally enough was enough and they defended their boarders by invading the strip of land and monitoring every shipment in and out of Gaza. I don't see, personally, how a single attack on the USA can justify war but Israel has to put up with terrorists for nearly a month and when they do say 'Enough' they're wrong.

Now for the aid ships everyone is so miffed about? They tried to cross a known sea blockade. The Israeli navy was not unreasonable either having issued this warning to the approaching ships approximately ten minutes prior to boarding,

"This is a warning, you are sailing in to a military/naval blockade in a disputed war zone. You are more than welcome to sail to the Israeli port and have your goods and aid shipped by land at no extra cost under your supervision. You will then be welcome to leave after everything meets your satisfaction on the ships which you arrived on or by any other means you wish to. Please turn your ships to the Israeli port.

I don't know about you but that sounds remarkably reasonable to me. And who can say that other countries would not have boarded those ships too? If it was an American blockade few would raise a fuss over it, and there would not be an international inquiry over it.

So after reading this are you still concerned that they're being ridiculous? Or do you think now that maybe, just maybe Israel has some justification in all this?

EDIT/UPDATE: Those aid ships? They just found weapons on them and in the wateer nearby where they dumped some of them

I've always believed that it's six a one, half dozen another so Israel cannot be held entirely to blame. What we all need to remember about Israel is that they have spent their entire time defending their country against enemies all around - they may be overly aggressive on occasions, but equally if they lose one then they will be assimilated into their opposing countries.

Sorry, I'm kind of too tired to actually argue/debate properly (I have to be up in less than 6 hours - this is what the AC has done to me!!!!). I'll probably come out with more sensible comments tomorrow after workness is finished!

BTW - should this possibly be in debates rather than random?

Israel is not at fault. It is the other guys that we need to condemn. It doesn't help that the US president doesn't support Israel. Of course, Israelites have not been totally innocent in the past (if you take the Bible as truth). But they did not make an unreasonable request of the aide ships.

However, Israel played perfectly into the their opponents' hands with this move. It sucks, yes.

It was actually the Romans that were the main players in that incident, you can't take a book written five hundred years after the fact under Roman occupation to be total fact after all.

It just seems to me like Israel can't even sneeze without getting in trouble for it.

It was actually the Romans that were the main players in that incident, you can't take a book written five hundred years after the fact under Roman occupation to be total fact after all.

It just seems to me like Israel can't even sneeze without getting in trouble for it.

I never said I took it as fact darling.

But Israel is not completely at fault here.

I agree. Israel hasn't always been right (of course, no country is) but they're the only democracy in the Middle East and they need and deserve our support. If Israel put down their weapons there would be no more Israel.

• 3 months later...
Guest shanemk

Boohoooo.

Israel needs to stop walking over the Palestinans before Israel deserves ANY respect.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.