Siblings?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. In my opinion, I...

• Don't like my siblings
    • Like having my siblings
    • Am fine without any siblings
    • Want siblings
    • Do not want siblings

I don't know if there was another topic about this, but I didn't find one.

(And I hope I posted this in the right area. D: )

Anyway, lately, I've been thinking about how people like or dislike being an only child/having siblings.

I have a half brother, but he doesn't live with me and rarely visits, (I think it's been about, what... 2-4 years since I last saw him.)so I feel like an only child.

In my opinion, I think it'd be fun to have a actual brother/sister to spend time with.

Of course, there are friends, but wouldn't having a sibling be fun? To me, it's quite boring at home when none of your friends are available.

But, that's just my opinion.

I have a lot of friends that strongly dislike their sibling(s). What about you?

Do you like being an only child/ having siblings?

If so/if not, why?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm neutral. I have a sister. She's 3 years older. We get along kind of now. But childhood was rough. She loved me when I was a baby, setting up tea parties in front of my little carrier. Then once she went to kindergarten and was around kids her own age, she hated me. (So she repeatedly told me.) She never wanted me around. (Though all her friends loved me. Her best friend, actually became mine after she got married.)

So she pretty much despised me most of lives. Even when she got married. (She didn't want me in it.) She started tolerating me when they separated. And when they divorced, she was always inviting me up. I actually lived with her for 2 months, and worked with her for 4. But... now, we rarely talk. (I'm married now, and she's stressed with work.)

But I'm always up for a trade. :laughingsmiley:

My half brother is 7 years older than me.

Before I hit 8 years of age, I had fun by myself. Age difference was a challenge when we tried to play together, though. Obviously, a 15 year old doesn't want to play games for an 8 year old, vice versa. So, we had to play with games for a wide variety of ages. Most of them were difficult for me. For example, I started playing Monopoly when I was 6.

When I was 10 years old, my brother was 17. He started getting into those video games, girlfriends, Myspace, etc. That's when he stopped visiting as often as he used to.

When he does come over, he brings his game systems like.. his x-box, PS2, & stuff. He'd play with that most of the day.

Being a "half only child", I didn't really care whether or not my brother played with me when he came over. I just liked it if he was in the house. I don't know why. xD

I guess I do have a sibling, but I don't feel like I do. So, I think I fall closer to being an only child than having siblings.

See, I have a half-brother as well, but we have different fathers who both left--so we were raised in the same house our whole lives. I never really called him my "half-brother," and he never felt like one.

Growing up was not so great--he was about 4 years older than me, and would gladly take advantage of me for his own amusement whenever he could. For a while he would tell me to do stupid things and I would do them, or he would convince me of things that weren't true (like that I was adopted, or that our mom was dead <_< ) and we fought a lot during our teen years.

We get along pretty well now though, and I've gradually come to forgive him for all the horrible things he did to me just for kicks--but hey, boys will be boys, and to be fair, I would give him the best kind of reaction (screaming, crying, etc) and then run back to him a half hour later being all like "wanna play?"

We still have our disagreements but we're pretty chill. Not living under the same roof anymore also played a big part in our growing-up-and-moving-on stage.

I often wish I had a sister. But I'm getting some similar experiences through my brother's girlfriend, and my boyfriend's sister, and friends etc. I was kind of a tomboy growing up and was not really very girly. I didn't know how to put hair in French braids til like last year :* so I feel I kind of missed out on some experiences as a kid. I played G.I. Joes and Sega Genesis with my bro o_O haha I really can't complain. My childhood was pretty alright, and my brother and I turned out fairly normal regardless of all the ordeals we went through.

This is a nice little get-to-know-you thread. I feel closer to you guys already :P ahaha.

I have an elder brother and I absolutely love him more than anything.

He's apparently 5 years older than me.

He taught me how to be strong and how to face difficulties.

You will be surprised to know that he was the one who told me about Neopets, lol.

So, it is because of him I am here. :D

But you know, big brothers sometimes can be over protective.

I hate when he becomes so over protective.

But anyways, I still love him.

He is my only brother. (except for all my other cousins)

Well, sometimes we get into HUGE fights but it's okay.

It's completely normal.

He makes me laugh too. :D

I have a sister. When she was born, I asked if we could trade her in for an iguana.

I'm still up for the trade. :whistle:

lol. :)

Yeah, even I love Iguanas.

Growing up was not so great--he was about 4 years older than me, and would gladly take advantage of me for his own amusement whenever he could. For a while he would tell me to do stupid things and I would do them, or he would convince me of things that weren't true (like that I was adopted, or that our mom was dead <_< ) and we fought a lot during our teen years.

I sooo understand that. My sister is 3 years older, and she was the exact same way. For whatever warped reason, I really looked up to her, so I'd do anything she told me to, for the most part. My parents, especially my mom, were always having to protect me from her. She was evil.

And she used to tell me I was adopted. Until she became a teenager, then SHE was the adopted one. But my mom used to joke with her, telling her there was no doubt I was their kid, because my dad was with me from the second I was born, where as with my sister, they took her out of the room by herself for awhile. :laughingsmiley:

I have one 19 year old brother. He drives me insane but I like having him around. It's one of those things that we annoy the living bejeebers out of me but as soon as something goes wrong we'll defend each other to the hilt!

I have a sister. When she was born, I asked if we could trade her in for an iguana.

I'm still up for the trade. :whistle:

That really made me giggle!!!

I'm an only child and I've always been happy with it, never asked for siblings. Now I have my sorority sisters and my boyfriends fraternity brothers and they are all the siblings I never knew I wanted.

My parents are both from big families and there's always some sort of drama, someone not talking to someone and when my grandmother died they were fighting over stuff before her body was cold. It was disgusting. Needless to say I wouldn't want siblings like that.

See, I have a half-brother as well, but we have different fathers who both left--so we were raised in the same house our whole lives. I never really called him my "half-brother," and he never felt like one.

We get along pretty well now though, and I've gradually come to forgive him for all the horrible things he did to me just for kicks--but hey, boys will be boys, and to be fair, I would give him the best kind of reaction (screaming, crying, etc) and then run back to him a half hour later being all like "wanna play?"

That's really similar to my brother. xD

I remember when I was young, he'd often find some weird screamers online and show them to me. (Being 7 years older than me, he'd know about this stuff. D: )

I'd always end up crying. But then, he'd say sorry after I sat there sobbing for 30 minutes. Then we'd go play outside, or something.

There are times when we got into fights, but they weren't big ones. I think it's because the distance between me and my brother is great, making us very.. uh... not close. So giant arguments between us weren't really a problem. Personally, I think we're more tolerable of each other since we rarely see each other. You know, you open up your feelings to people you're close to (which causes arguments, sometimes) but not to people you're not close to. I never opened up to my brother since I didn't see him every day. I derno. It's hard to explain what goes around in my head. ^^;

When I was young and my brother came over a lot, I always ended up crying when he left, even if he bullied me for the whole time he visited. xD;

I love my brother, but we rarely see eye to eye and despite the fact that there is only two of us, he's always seemed to have middle child syndrome. We used to joke when we were kids that he was jealous of the dog.

I guess I've always wondered if people who were an only child wished they had a brother or sister? I mean, they can be great sometimes and not so great others, but if you didn't have one, would you know what you were missing (or not)? When I have a child, I really only want to have one child, but I wouldn't want them to be lonely.

I have a little sister, 3 years younger, i hated her until I realized how much she looks up to me, then things changed. I enjoy her presence, about 80% of the time, the other 20 is when she annoys me to no end. Then my little brother comes along. He's 9.5 years younger than me (or as I always insist 10) He's cute and all my friends adore him, though sometimes I really wish he wasn't there. I don't know, it's always off and on for me when it comes to my siblings, just can't really decide.

I don't have any siblings, but I'd really like one...

It's just that when you're an only child, your parents tend to gang up on you. It would be nice to have an ally :rolleyes_anim:

I don't have any siblings, but I'd really like one...

It's just that when you're an only child, your parents tend to gang up on you. It would be nice to have an ally :rolleyes_anim:

You're welcome to have my sister. She lives about 2 hours away, and I haven't talked to her in months. :mellow: She has her own things going on now, I guess.

You're welcome to have my sister. She lives about 2 hours away, and I haven't talked to her in months. :mellow: She has her own things going on now, I guess.

D: That sucks. Were you two close?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at least 7 words long. Quotes do not contribute to the post count.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

It's kind of funny, cause almost all the people I know who are the only child in their family wish they had a sibling. However, everyone with a brother or sister would always jump at the chance to get rid of their sibling for even an hour. xD The grass is always greener? I think it'd be cool to have a brother or sister, but being an only-child has got its privileges.

D: That sucks. Were you two close?

No not really. For our first 19 years as siblings, she didn't like me. She was eh with me for a year, then for a few years, she enjoyed having me around. I actually lived with her for a couple months until I got my own place, while I worked with her for 4 months. But we've never been close. She's not the type of person you can really get all that close to.

I have 1 brother and 1 sister and honestly- they're two of my favourite people on the planet.

My sister is definitely my best friend ever. We have the same taste in clothes, music, food, EVERYTHING so we get along really amazingly.

The only thing she ever does that bothers me is take my clothes without asking. :|

And my brother is one of the coolest kids I know. He's so smart, hilarious, and mature for his age. We hang out with each other all of the time, and I don't think we ever fight.

I guess I'm lucky. ;P