Oh, that's how you say is... :(

tempdisplay

I've come to express my disappointment over Neopets Name Pronounciations. I mean, there was a word guide which I didn't pay attention to, then they released this audio one: HERE

Some of these really let me down, like:

Elephante, which is pronounced the same way as the real life animal it's based on. But I thought you said it:

ele-fan-té (er - lee - fan - tay)

Also, Kau, which is said "Cow". I though it was: car - ou (car - ooo)

I thought the unique pronunciations would make them, unique. More of their own. What do you guys think? Any pronunciations interest you?

I've actually never paid attention to the proper pronunciations, except for Shoyru, years ago, just because I was curious.

I'm one of those people that picks a pronunciation in my mind, and sticks with it, regardless if it's right or not. For example, Pteri. I've always pronounced this like Petri, like the dino from The Land Before Time. I know it's wrong, but I like it that way, so I do it anyway. No one can say anything to me about it, except my husband. And :P to him, if he does. :laughingsmiley:

I deliberately stay away from pronunciation guides - I've got my pronunciations which are probably completely wrong, but I'm sticking with them!

It's good to know I'm not the only one that is like that. :laughingsmiley:

I totally forgot to put the link in the top post :laughingsmiley:

Glad I'm not the only one with issues with Neopets Pronounciations :D

Also, although "Terry" makes sense for Pteri, I just though it was more exotic. I thought it was {pee - terry} ...

I say most of the name the French way....

Like Usul for me is Uh-Zul.

I believe that since Neopets is an imaginary world, it doesn't matter how we say the words. Like when you read a book and the characters have weird names... the author won't leave a note to say "it should be said that way!" I think the same applies to Neopets.

There are a few that I pronounce differently, but most are the same.

Ele-fahn-tay is a big one for me.

I say pteri, puh-terry.

Lupe is loo-pay. You know, like Lupe Fiasco.

Mynci is definitely Min-see, not Mwn <--- How do you even pronounce those letters? It's just mumbling that way!

There are more I don't agree with, but those are the ones that stuck out to me the most.

Yay, I make my own pronunciations, too! to heck with whatever they are SUPPOSED to be! Just like Brett Favre (FARVE), I say it like it is spelled, and how he is (FAV-ER)

Oh, and I will have to check out the audio! I have not done that before, I am sure I will realize just how stupid I really am. LOL!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Pronounce the words the way you can.

Its kind of okay, you know.

In neopets, no one sees how you pronounce a pet name or anything else.

It's all about fun, so have fun.

You know, sometimes even I say Elephantay ... instead of only Elephant.

Even now a days I usually say Petri whereas it's Pteri (the P is silent). :P

Hahaaaa! I officially love that audio version! Am I the only one that had a bit too much fun going through them all? :P

Haha, I didn't think I would enjoy listening to that as much as I did; I agree it was entirely too amusing.

Also, anyone else enjoy that in the other words category there is asparagus and tomato as if we don't know those words? I laughed so much I cried when I clicked and the first word it said asparagus.

I don't care about the proper pronunciation. It's not like I'm gonna actually use those Neopian words in every day speech.

Yeah, that's so true.

We are not gonna use this words in any debate or speech then why bother.

Speak the words the way you are comfortable with.

I do that. :)