The Official Pokemon Topic

CAV of Gang Green

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, well I only just started using it though. :P My Haunter has the best moves for a ghost type though, it knows Nightmare, Hypnosis, Shadow Ball and Shadow Claw.

Uh...shadow claw? Haunter/Gengar has horrible attack stats.

I like Mismagius as a ghost type (not sure if I spelled that right).

Yeah, but that's not how EV's work. If you work for his attack then his other stats will suffer.

I'm assuming you're not big at smogon or anything because I doubt that you could have such a good record with those pokemon.

You can only work for stats so much. Stat's are based on a system of Effort Values (EVs) and Individual Values (IVs). IVs can be a minimum of 1 and a max of 32. They are random at birth. The higher the number, the higher the potential for the stat. EVs are earned whenever you battle a pokemon. Each pokemon gives certain EVs. For instance, battling a Magikarp will give you 1 speed EV and battling a Bellsprout will give you one attack EV. After every few EVs, you earn 1 point in that stat. I think its one point for every two or four EVs, but I don't remember. You can earn EVs until your pokemon has 510. At that point, your pokemon is fine to level up using only rare candies and who you battle doesn't matter. In addition, you also get EVs by using items like HP Up or Protien. These items give you 10 EVs in the respective area. This system is why raising a wild pokemon from level 40 won't be as good as raising a pokemon from level 1. In addition to EVs and IVs, each pokemon has base stats.

Lots of people train using EVs and IVs. They will check their pokemon's IVs with a calculator until they get them as they wish, even if that's getting them all at 32 (which is less likely than getting a shiny pokemon). On sites like Smogon, you can get tips on what movesets to give your pokemon and how to distribute the EVs. Most pokemon will focus on two stats and give 6 EVs to HP. For instance, you might give Aerodactyl 252 Attack EVs, 252 Speed, and 6 to HP. Also on Smogon is arranged battling in "Tiers" and a community (I would suggest looking at the community's custom made pokemon.. They're amazing.). Tiers are based on a pokemon's base stat and it's usefulness. Tiers range from Uber (Most Legendaries and strong pokemon like Garchomp), Overused (OU), Borderline (BL), Underused (UU), and Never Used (NU) (Most NU are not fully evolved). When you arrange a battle in the community, you must use pokemon from the same tier vs. an opponent using pokemon from the same tier.

EDIT: It's 4 EVs per Stat Point earned.

EDIT2: I almost forgot. In addition, there is also items to speed up earning EVs. First is the Macho Brace. It doubles the amount of EVs you earn from each pokemon. Then there are stat specific items introduced in DPPt. They give you 4 extra EVs of a certain stat after every battle and are only found by spending BP at the battle tower. Here they are:

Power Weight - Gains 4 extra HP EVs after every battle

Power Bracer - Gains 4 extra Attack EVs after every battle

Power Belt - Gains 4 extra Defense EVs after every battle

Power Lens - Gains 4 extra Special Attack EVs after every battle

Power Band - Gains 4 extra Special Defense EVs after every battle

Power Anklet - Gains 4 extra Speed EVs after every battle

In addition, it should be noted that in the Battle Factory (at least in HGSS) all of the rental pokemon are EV trained.

Brain capacity overload. *Explosion*

Sorry I can't take it all in. Is there possibly a shorter version?

I even added more to the post.

Actually, I did shorten it up for you, and explained it in a very easy way. That is how pokemon games have been based since day 1. It's the mechanics that people have been training on for a while now.

If you would like a prettier version that you might understand better, I'll link to the psypokes and serebii EV guides. The psypokes guide mentions more, like the pokerus. Serebii has different guides for the Pokerus and such.

Pyspokes: EV/Pokerus

Serebii: EVs

Serebii: IVs

Serebii: Pokerus

While you're at Serebii, take a look at today's update (and yesterday's if you haven't yet). Down at the bottom, it says that TMs won't dissappear after use! I thinkt hat's pretty cool, but it could change a lot with how HMs are done.

While you're at Serebii, take a look at today's update (and yesterday's if you haven't yet). Down at the bottom, it says that TMs won't dissappear after use! I thinkt hat's pretty cool, but it could change a lot with how HMs are done.

Today's update is my favorite :P

The fact that seasons change will be interesting. I don't want a spring pokemon in summer and have to wait for spring to come to get it :/

This is a very good thing. Now I don't have to shell out virtual money for the same TM.

I just beat the Pokemon League, woot me :P

*chases Tyler with microphone*

"Tyler! Tyler! You just beat the pokemon league! What are you going to do now?"

Kudos if you get the reference.

It's also possible that you won't be able to sell TMs if they can be reused, much the same as HMs. That would cause problems with things like Sunny Day cluttering up your TM case.

It's also possible that you won't be able to sell TMs if they can be reused, much the same as HMs. That would cause problems with things like Sunny Day cluttering up your TM case.

What if you can only hold a certain amount of TMs :O Say, 50 :(

Well obviously if TMs are reusable then you would only receive one of that TM. It wouldn't make sense if they gave you several of an item that never disappears. And limiting what TMs you can carry would be very problematic, 'cause if they are going to be like HMs then you couldn't delete them to make space.

As for the Gengar mentioned earlier, it is also good to note that having more than one attack of the same type is a very poor choice in a set, especially if the poke is only good for one type of attack.

That does seem like a plausible alternative. We'll just have to see.

I also heard a rumor (and to my knowledge it's still JST a rumor) that Isshu will have completely new pokemon- none from previous gens in it's dex. This is actually understandable as it's supposed to be far from the other regions. But like I said, rumor.

I also heard a rumor (and to my knowledge it's still JST a rumor) that Isshu will have completely new pokemon- none from previous gens in it's dex. This is actually understandable as it's supposed to be far from the other regions. But like I said, rumor.

I'm guessing National Dexes are out of the question if this rumor is true.

At the same time, this is good. Now I don't have to keep running into that god-awful Zubat (I think they'll replace him, but at least it's something new).