Animation help!

crxsnochic

Ok everyone, I know pretty much nil when it comes to graphics of any sort... but I've got a huge assignment for one of my classes, and it's gonna require me learning how to do custom animations apparently. So, this is what I'm looking to do.

My topic is on Dynein motor molecule movement in the cell. Dyneins are these little guys that basically are made of two long connected legs with feet that look like great big balls that walk along a microtubule (which is basically a long straight tube). These graphics don't have to be anything spectacular... no 3D animation or anything. It can pretty much just be a simple stick figure type drawing... that moves. I need to show them taking medium, big, and small steps. As wall as step forward, backwards, and sideways(sorta rotating sideways around the tube). For those last 3 movements I don't need different step sizes for it... just them doing it.

So, thats what I need to be able to do, now for the software I have: I have all the basic software that comes with Macs (iPhoto, iMovie, iWorks) as well as MS office (excel, powerpoint,word). Eventually this mini-movie/animation thing needs to be added as part of a slide show presentation.. so whatever format it is done in, in needs to be compatible with either powerpoint or keynotes.

You can go here to see what dynein basically looks like so you can get an idea of what sort of image I'm trying to get to 'walk.'

If I need to buy software... I'm willing to do so, as long as I stay within the $50 USD range. But I'm pretty broke so if I can get away with what I have already, I'd prefer that!

Thank you everyone soooo much for any help tips suggestions you can give me on this!

Well your topic totally lost me but I can help a bit on animation software! I use one called microsoft gif animator. I don't have a clue if it works with Macs or not but it works fine with vista. It's freeware so if you just google microsoft gif animator you can find it. So, if it does work with Macs I would suggest that software! It's pretty easy to use too! If you do end up getting it and are having any problems feel free to contact me.....but my guess is that it probably doesn't work on Macs. I am totally clueless when it comes to Macs, but if it doesn't work if you have access to another computer that isn't a Mac you could always use it on that :) Hope that helps a bit!

Animation the result of putting a few frame together to make an illusion of mouvement. In order to do such a project, you will need all your frames. You could either draw them on the computer or if you have the equipment, you could do your project with programs that you already have! All you need is to draw your whole animation project on paper and to take digital pictures of everything. Import your pictures in iphoto (edit them if you need to) and then have fun in imovies to create your frame. Final product should be a quicktime movie :)

To make really basic text animation, I use Photoshop and I organise my frames in ImageReady. You can download a free trial of Adobe products... but I'd really go with the first solution as you already have all what you need in iLife to do an awesome project! :)

Thank you both for your time and suggestions! I'll probably go with Xepha's suggestion as I won't have to worry about compatibility issues between microsoft/mac software. Now to learn how to draw. :) Maybe I'll try and post the finished product as soon as I get some time to work on it so I can get some feedback. Also, I've never used iMovie, so I might be asking Q's, but we'll see, most of the mac programs have been fairly user friendly in learning