Death penalty

Awesome_Paul

Honestly they'll eventually regret what they did and have to live with it the rest of there life therefore suffering same punishment as raped

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they chose their actions and the rape victim or murder victim didn't. Shouldn't they therefore serve more of a punishment?

Depends what you call life.. In NZ life is 12.5 years, to me that is definately not acceptable... and should they in prison get basically the same living conditions as you and me? Should $60k plus per prisoner a year of tax payers money go towards paying for them?

i agree that the death penalty should return. because the pain of dying is the most painful thing you'll ever feel. (i watched somebody die once, really scary). going to jail just isn't enough.

Just to reiterate my argument: I stand by the opinion that being jailed will, given time, actually become a worse punishment than the death penalty.

Hmm... well I guess it depends on what kind of prison you're in, and where. :yes:

You hear some pretty bad things about prisons in the US every now and again...

I want to add to this topic, by saying that a lot of criminals don't have remorse. So, they don't really care about what punishment they get. If anything, imagine someone who was homeless or in financial troubles and this person commits a murder. I think it would be a relief for them to be sent to jail, where they will have a "home" and won't have to worry about financial troubles. So, there are times where we do the damage to ourselves. Of course, if someone killed my child I would wish they were dead, but I wouldn't ask for the death penalty. I would just ask for life in prison.

but i remember one of my friends friend said that jail wasn't really anything. and hes still doing bad thing till now

Well, there is a huge difference between Jail and Prison though so that might be part of it. If you are even close to facing the death penalty you would be in prison. Jail is short term, prison is long term.

I have contradicting opinions on the death penalty. Sometimes I say yes to is, other times I say no. Oh, and life in prison isn't all it's made out to be for those who sometimes think it's "easy" I've heard stories from people who have experienced it and worked in the prison system and it's not somewhere you want to be.

lots of people who escaped prison or got free from prison continue to do bad things. thats why they should just return the death penalty and get rid of those who are murderers. it will contribute a whole lot to the community by getting rid of the bad and keeping the good.

I'm still hovering somewhere in the middle like some of the other people in this debate. There are plenty of good points either way...

• 1 month later...

If you killed someone, and they are proven guilty without a doubt, there is hard evidence, then yes, I believe in the death penalty.

With rape, there are too many "gray areas" for me to want the death penalty. Any girl that consents to sex and gets mad at the man can turn around and cry rape. And sadly there are many women that do that, to perfectly good men.

Child molesters deserve to rot in jail in my opinion. As a mother of 2 young boys, I can not imagine someone doing that to my child, or anyone else's for that matter, getting a slap on the wrist and walking free.

As for how people feel killing, it has been proven that some people who kill do not feel bad. They are lacking fear. They have no fear whatsoever. Things that normally happen when a person has fear, like sweating or a change in heart rate, some killers do not react in this way, the brain patterns react differently than non killers and those with fear. So for whatever reason, these people just don't care. They are cold blooded killers, and have no remorse. If you watch the TV show Most Evil, you will see what I mean.

It is our taxes that pay for these people to sit in jail though.

^Very true. I agree with that as well.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please make all posts at least 7 words long.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

The problem is that in many cases, it's virtually impossible to find 100% solid evidence. So we're back to the problem of innocent people getting executed...

*is becoming increasingly neutral on this*

Ok so imagine you have a daughter who is say between the ages of 2 and 15 and she turns around and tells you that she has been raped (so that makes the man who did it a pedafile). Would you want him alive spending (I don't know) 10-20 years in jail and then out walking the streets? or Would you want him in jail for the rest of his life, doing nothing useful with his life and just wasting money, probably doing drugs and fighting with other criminals? or Would you want him dead?

To be perfectly honest with you, if I found at anytime that my daughter (now 3) had been raped, abused etc I don't think I would give it a second thought before going out and cutting the mans private parts off and probably a lot worse!

I know an eye for an eye and all that, but this is your own flesh and blood and you can't expect people to sit there and watch the man that did that get away with 15 years in jail (if just isn't right)!!

To be perfectly honest with you, if I found at anytime that my daughter (now 3) had been raped, abused etc I don't think I would give it a second thought before going out and cutting the mans private parts off and probably a lot worse!

I know! I would feel the same way if that happened to me.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I feel like a terrible person for saying this.

But I agree with the death penalty. But just with vicious crimes.

If a dog attacks, law says it must be put down. So why not people?

I do not like my tax dollars going towards paying for the prison system. If someone gets life, then that is usually 20+ years of us paying for them to be fed and medical treatment.

I know if I had a friend, child, or family member that was raped, murdered, or brutally attacked I'd want that attacker found and tortured. BUT I believe the evidence should be firm and completely positive, no chance of convicting the wrong person. That is terrible.

Guest Levy

Hey guys, I had to write a speech for my debate class. I am arguing against capital punishment, here is my speech.

"Why do we kill people who are killing people to show that killing people is wrong?" That quote is by American singer-songwriter, teacher, and social change activist, Holly Near. Nothing proves my point better. Is it not hypocrisy to kill a killer for being a killer? To simplify what I am saying, capital punishment merely says, "If you kill someone we're gonna kill ya back!" If you fight fire with fire, doesn't it just make things worse?

What about the risk of executing innocent people? Over 120 people on death rows have been released with evidence of their innocence, many having already served over 2 decades on death row. You may think, "DNA should prove if an inmate is guilty or not right?" Wrong, DNA is available in less than 10% of all homicides. It is not a guarantee against the execution of innocent people. Another thing our opponents may bring up is the belief that capital punishment is a deterrent against crime. Well, no reputable study shows capital punishment to be a deterrent. Homicide rates are higher in states that have it than in states that do not. Most killers don't think about the consequences anyway. They do not think they will be caught (if they think at all.)

Also, capital punishment costs more than keeping the criminal in prison for life. Much of the extra costs is due to the complicated nature of both the pre trial investigation and of the trials (involving 2 separate stages, mandated by the Supreme Court) in capital punishment cases. There are more cost effective ways to prevent and control crime.

"Well what about the very worst crimes?" Capital punishment isn't reserved for the "worst of the worst," but rather for defendants with the worst lawyers. When is the last time a wealthy person was sentenced to death, let alone executed?

Many people believe most American's prefer capital punishment as the most serious punishment... Not any more. People are rethinking their views, given the facts and the records on innocent people sentenced to death. According to a Gallup Poll, in 2006, 47% of all Americans prefer capital punishment while 48% prefer life without parole. Americans are learning about the system and we are making up our minds based on facts, not eye for an eye.

I have here a map of the world countrys' positions on capital punishment. As you can see in the light red, our democracy known as the United States of America has something in common with communist Cuba, communist China, communist Vietnam, communist North Korea, most of the middle east, and several third world countries in Africa and South Asia.

[The map]

Capital punishment isn't about justice. It's about vengeance and bloodlust.

I apologize for anyone in here who has lost a friend or loved one to a homicide. But would killing the killer really do any justice. Is there any good in killing?

---

Sources: Death Penalty Information Center, www.deathpenaltyinfo.org, for stats on executions and states where they occurred, poll results and, reports on costs. The FBI Uniform Crime Report for 2005. And The Innocence Project, www.innocenceproject.org

What do you think?

I know where you are coming from, but in some cases do you not think it is deserved? Jail in some cases is just too good for people! If you can garuntee that someone is guilty of a crime that is worth life in jail without parole, why not then sentance them to death?

(Correction: "guarantee" :P )

Well the problem is simply that there's probably no way to be absolutely sure whether or not a person committed a crime - today's justice system is far from perfect. As Levy said, how you are sentenced depends more on the skill of your lawyer than what you actually did.

Not always true.. If there is cold hard evidence proving that you committed the crime, there is generally no way, no matter how good the lawyer you are going to get off doing the time. However, the lawyer (if you have a good one) will then get you a lighter sentence.