Death penalty

Awesome_Paul

Oh dear. I mistyped my last post. Don't worry, I edited it. It used to say... "But it should be death." Now it says, "But should it be death?"

I have to reiterate. I'm against the death penalty. I'm for a better justice system.

PS - Death isn't a middle ground, but with my typo, I see why you thought I meant that. Death is one of the extremes. I wanted to avoid extremes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, my apologies then - I'm usually pretty good at spotting and compensating for typos, but I appear to have missed that one.

It does seem that we both agree that we need to find some sort of effective middle ground, and massively improve our justice system. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm... I not sure this is a very.... well controveral subject. I (think) belive that there should be no deth penilty. If someones stuck in jail for the rest of there life, maby they would rather die. I don't know what life is like in a prison.

Such a nice closing to the topic you had shadow, but since its brought back up i'll post my opinion :)

I believe the lives of mass murderers and the like have no value, spending their remaining decades in prison. However, I don't believe in the taking of others' lives, so I'm for the hard labour. Maybe stick them in factory lines and have them do fairly simple tasks; no work, no food. As for setting them loose on some island, I think most of them would prefer the death penalty over being stuck on an island with a bunch of mass murderers.

Well in today's heavily populated world there's a spot of difficulty involved in finding a conveniently unoccupied island... I don't really have anything to refute though. I'm still neutral, and wondering if some genius somewhere will eventually manage to puzzle this out.

Interesting debate topic. :) I'm kind of a fence-rider on this one. I was going to be a police officer for a while -- the US Justice System has a lot of good points, but also *many* flaws. My main objections to the death penalty are a.) that there's always a danger of someone being wrongfully executed -- improved DNA testing and other techniques make it less likely than it used to be, but it still can and unfortunately does happen; b.) The death penalty really isn't a terribly effective deterrent; and c.) While I don't necessarily have a moral objection to the death penalty itself, what I *do* have a moral objection to is an idea that often goes along with it: that revenge accomplishes something (not that I can't understand the desire to have vengeance on someone who murdered a child or something, I'm just saying that it's a slippery slope.)

On the other hand, I honestly don't see all that much point in sticking people in a cell for life either. I believe that there are some people who have a chance to be rehabilitated and become valuable, contributing members of society; those people are not well served by being stuck in a jail cell where their undesirable behaviors are just reinforced and they don't have many chances to better themselves. Obviously, I'm absolutely *not* saying they shouldn't be punished for what they've done wrong, just that the system usually doesn't accomplish what it theoretically intends to do. I also believe that there are a few people (rare, but they exist) who are truly, irrevocably "evil"; true sociopaths who are simply incapable of having any empathy for other human beings and, no matter what you do or how long you try to rehabilitate them, it will *never* have the slightest impact -- they'll play the game and do whatever it takes to get out, but as soon as they're free they'll go right back to doing terrible things. Even if prison taught people anything (which under our current system, I would argue it generally doesn't except maybe not to get caught next time), it will never change that kind of person. In those few cases, I wholeheartedly support the death penalty -- it won't deter other psychos, but it will permanently prevent one from doing any more harm.

So it all comes back to our justice system - I think that if we had a definite way of determining if a suspect was guilty or not, things would be a lot simpler. Unfortunately, the hypothetical method doesn't exist yet. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe the death penalty is the right way to go. I think that the death penalty is just ignoring the overall problem by putting a person to death. What I mean by this is that in all the examples of serial killers I know, the person is not well mentally. I truly believe that if the person is given special care and mental help, they can change. Now I don't know if I could go as far as releasing a former killer back into society after having mental help, but I definitely think allowing the person to be helped is a lot better than giving them the death penalty. I do not think anyone deserves to be killed no matter what the reason is. I understand, though, how people can be for the death penalty.

Too bad you sit on death row for years and years and may end up dying there

and some people dont feel remorse for what they did

Hashbrown now I am slightly confused, you are contridicting yourself. First you say it is wrong and they should be punished for the rest of their lives and then you say they deserve to die?? Which one is it?

After reading everything on here I am slightly confused as to whether is a better solution than killing someone? If there was a way to prove that someone is guilt, 100% guilty, beyond reasonable doubt, then would that change the opinion of some people on the forums?

Sometimes you have to have unreasonable doubt to believe that an innocent person really is innocent. Those are the cases in which innocent are wrongfully accused.

If the death penalty was reserved for those who were guilty, 100% for sure, then there would be little point in having it because it would almost never be used.

• 2 weeks later...

And that's our problem. Today's justice system is simply not good enough at telling whether or not a person is guilty.

I'm sitting on the fence on this one

Argument for: Jails are a breeding place for thoughts of revenge and such. They don't serve the purpose

Argument against: This would destroy the ability to repent

Argument for: It would keep crime down

Argument against: Yes, I do believe in heaven/hell so sending people there

Argument against (in case the last one isn't legit): Revenge isn't a way to help people repent.

So, the jail penalty should be a lot longer and maybe even for life

but I don't think a death penalty should occur.

i think death panalty isnt the best thing in the life, but there are some criminals that who deserve it. Because they dont feel themselfs guilty and they dont care the others... sometimes they dobnt have feelings and they dont regret waht they have done... And I know its one of the basic rights, rights to live... But where is the victims ights. He/she ignored this... So i think death pnalty is neccesarry in this case. These peolpe wont change.

I think that the death penalty should return. Why? There are horrible twisted people out there who are not going to change. They get out of jail and they will destroy someone's life again. They shouldn't be given the opportunity to do this.

But I also think that the court should take precautions to make sure that they are catching the right people. DNA testing should be involved in all of these cases, and it should be overseen by over one person, to avoid the defendant being framed.

Here is the apology/confession of one man:

"I've lived for 12 years now with the memories, knowledge, and grief of those 3 murders...What I remember horrifies me. I see Robert Bowers' eyes, panic struck...I hear the words Dad said about rebuilding my pickup's engine. We would have done that together! We finally would have done something together. I see Christmas dinners that never happened. My mom with a grandchild on her lap.

These are the ghosts I live with and I hate myself for all I became and did. I am not just sorry. I am haunted. I think of all the people I hurt, of all the memories I stole from YOUR lives, and I know I deserve to die. Its not right for me to go on living when these 3 people didn't. All I can offer you is the answers to why I did it, and tell you it destroyed my soul when I did. No matter how long I live, or where I live, I destroyed myself when I killed Robert, and Dad, and Mom.

I beg you for your forgiveness. I know I do not deserve it, and I know you hate me and always will, but I beg you, please, know that I am so sorry for it. Forgive me for the pain I have caused you...

I am the one responsible for my actions, and I take full blame upon myself alone...

-Sean Sellers"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i dont believe the death penalty is right.

If someone did a crime that was really bad, they should suffer for their mistakes for the rest of their life not just die in like 2 seconds.

They'll suffer in Hell forever, and the world will be a bit better without them.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not post on topics inactive for more than 14 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Anime if you have any questions regarding this action.