I have a 30-page report due on Beijing

Captain Awesome Pants

So you finished High School four years early? Shivers... when did you start...

Not everyone is a genuis, but everyone has talents.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did I start what? School? Learning? Falling down the stairs and forgetting that there's another flight of them right behind me? :P

Lols... When did you start High School?

And an off the topic question for you (although this whole thread is off topic now) when you are using the word 'however' in a sentance does the commar come before or after the word 'however'? and the same question for 'therefore' and 'together'??

I used to know this, cause I use it in the reports for work, but I have totally confused myself and now I can't seem to get it right!

It really depends on the context of the word... just read the sentence aloud and see where the pause fits in. :yes:

And I started High School in mid-2004 (jumping up from year 6).

But doesn't a commar always either come before or after the word 'however'?

There are some sentences where the comma comes both before and after the word however - English tends to have a lot of annoying exceptions to the rules. :yes:

Your telling me.. I can kind of understand why people say english is a difficult language to learn.. Althougth I got really confused when learning Japanese.

:P My first language was actually Chinese. When I started primary school in New Zealand, I learned English so fast that I forgot my Chinese. XD Now I speak fluent English but I can't seem to learn Chinese again.

:P My first language was actually Chinese. When I started primary school in New Zealand, I learned English so fast that I forgot my Chinese. XD Now I speak fluent English but I can't seem to learn Chinese again.

Ha, I'd love to learn Chinese, or Japanese. or just be able to write the characters. So, how old are you right now?

14 years old.

My parents keep trying to get me to learn Chinese again, but in the middle of physics, engineering maths and all the other stuff that I'm busy keeping up with it's kinda hard to squeeze in an extra language.

They say you are best to learn languages when you are young, as you pick them up faster. Just like musical instruments. My parents always tried both, but I didn't really like many languages, but I have always been bi-lingual in English and Dutch.

Well apparently it's also much easier to forget a language when you're young, especially if you pick another one up in its place. :P

From personal experience I disagree.. I learnt English before I learnt Dutch and I learnt Dutch when I was two and a half and within a week of just listening to people I had completely converted from English to Dutch, but when we got back home to NZ I could still speak perfect English (well perfect for a almost three year old).

Hmm... well I guess we have different learning systems then (I learnt English out of necessity when I was 5, and could spell better than the teachers :P ).

I was never very good at English as a subject. It bored me, so I didn't really try, probably should have now I look back.

I didn't really pay attention in English class either, except when the teacher was giving us work to do. :P

I know my English grammar and all that rather well, but I never use it. And I've never been one to be bi-lingual. I have a hard enough time with Spanish.

I really don't have much respect for a language that has rules that nearly every word breaks. :P

Oh yes, that is really annoying. I experience the same thing a lot with things like HTML coding - in terms of HTML 'grammar', Microsoft Frontpage is just (&%@$*!%. :grrr:

HTML is fine, when used properly by people who know what they're doing (i.e. people who don't use Microsoft Frontpage) it's easy to interpret and write. :yes:

It's just a few idiotic coders/programs who write HTML that would send a drunk grizzly bear up the nearest tree. <_<

Well you wouldn't be able to, as the sheer messiness of the code would send you into a fatal mental overload.

Yay! My school work load has gone right down to 0% because my school term has ended. I didn't even get assignments or homework to do over the holidays, I quite simply have... NOTHING!!!

That means it's two and a half weeks of relaxation for me before a hectic term full of exams and other things that I'm going to ignore for now. :D

Heh, I wish I had a load that light. :P

My current assignment load is through the roof, plus I have 3 upcoming tests.

Yep that'll be me in about 4-5 weeks, but until then I'm going to relax to the max and not think about school at all!!!

I'll even relax for you a bit, I'm just that relaxed... :P