World in Turmoil

Guest Levy

Axon tapped his fingers on the desk impatiently as the NSA satellite maneouvered into position with painstakingly time-consuming precision. Of course, he didn't actually tap the desk itself, as the desk was covered with an assorted pile of computer parts, papers, pens, pencils, disks and erasers, forming a solid layer over the table itself with the exception of the small area he had cleared out to make room for his coffee cup.

Half a minute later he pulled up the surveillance feed on the screen and watched as the US military commandos, their positions marked clearly by their supposedly secure transponder signals, moved to take key positions around Hearthlet.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alethei had been very lucky. Had his opponent had a split second more in which to react first, had he been expecting an opponent, had he flailed in the right direction, Alethei would have been defeated. He saw that in the military precision in which the intruder arranged his weapons, the perfect step with which he had moved.

Alethei suddenly snapped into combat mode once again, for two reasons.

Firstly, his captive was waking up. He had to be alert to any ploys or escapist techniques.

Secondly, he heard footsteps. Not just any footsteps.

He had acquainted himself with the sound of his guardian's shoes and walk, and this was an exact match. The only difference was that they were faster. Faster, louder, portraying a sense of absolute urgency.

His guardian was running.

Slash burst through the open door and saw the kid standing over a man sprawled on the floor. He had gone to fetch food when he caught sight of a man breaking into his house. He had sprinted right back, but by then the battle was over, man this kid can fight! Slash could see that the man was waking up, but he wouldn't be going anywhere soon as he was strapped down pretty tight.

"Sorry kid, I thought this place would be safe, but they know we are here. We gotta get outta here, but I think we should wait for this guy to wake up first so I can ask him a few questions."

Slash walked over to the door, shut it and then lay a bookcase in front of it. He then walked over and sat by the fallen man, now we wait.

Slash was worried, but he kept his cool. They were safe, for now...

Alethei saw his guardian burst in. He did not relax his pose.

It wouldn't make much difference whether his guardian was there or not if there were more attackers like the one on the floor. It never occurred to him to use the captive as a hostage - in the Game, that didn't work.

He noted his guardian was panting heavily, as if he had been going full out. Nevertheless, he quickly recovered and assessed the captive on the floor.

The captive, now fully conscious, began asking questions. Alethei couldn't understand why he did it - he couldn't figure out why he had let the man live at all.

A throat microphone.

With that thought in mind, he moved to skin the man's front neck - and noticed that his guardian was talking to the man, asking questions back. Alethei wondered why he did that, too. He didn't understand interrogation - if you were incapacitated and bound, it was only because you had an item on you that would be harder to find on a stiff body.

He moved to a covering position - he understood the concept of protecting something - and waited, tensed for a combat situation he was certain he would lose. There was a quite high chance of winning of escape, but he was, technically, a pessimist - chances, however small, were not tolerated in the mathematical calculations he used to calculate combat maneuvers.

But his guardian was here, the person to whom he had all but pledged his life. So here he would be, too.

((Sorry I've been gone a while.))

The beast kept still in the dirt of the sea floor beneath the arctic circle. It kept perfectly still. Nothing would find it down here. Nothing could get down here to find it. This is the best hiding place on Planet Earth, and should this fail, it has more secrets in the deep.

Within no time, Ayde had made her way to the house where Alethei, her target, was last seen by the street's hidden surveillance cameras. She took up watch on a hill adjacent to the front door. She loaded a rocket into her custom launcher. Aimed, then fired.

*Explosion!*

She missed, hitting the second floor sending part of the house down and setting it on fire.

She took her leave and would leave the rest to the fire. If Alethei survived, which was likely, she would continue the hunt.

The craft's instruments hummed to lfe and the beast begin to move again.

"Sir, US forces are moving to one of our decoy bases." said a raspy voice on the radio.

There was a low mechanical hum then, "Kill them and send a nuke to destroy Washington DC. There is no such thing as victory for the world and they will know soon enough."

"As you command my lord."

The craft hummed to life and continued to dig down...

Axon watched in horrified fascination as a squad of black-clad figures dropped down onto the US soldiers. They were short, about the height of a ten-year-old child, and were armed with what appeared to be bulky, box shaped devices with multiple nozzles on one end. Axon looked away momentarily, trying to match the sensor readings he was getting from the satellite with one of the weapons profiles in his database, but his attention was drawn back as one of the weapons spat a stream of white-hot matter at one of the US squads. The hapless commandos were vapourized in an instant.

Axon didn't need his database to recognize the weapon now - it appeared to be a modified, and somewhat improved version of the White Geyser, a prototype plasma weapon that had been developed by British military scientists shortly before C's takeover. The weapon was theoretically capable of demolishing an entire convoy of sixty or more tanks from 80 kilometres away within a minute. However, the weapon used up energy at a spectacular rate, burning up about the same amount of electricity in 10 seconds of continuous fire as the entire United States did in a day.

Axon now saw that the figures who were killing the US commandos were carrying a massive generator of some sort on their backs, which looked to be almost twice their weight. The White Geysers' heat emission, enough to severely burn any person within five metres, also didn't seem to be bothering them. And even with all the weight they were carrying, they were faster and more agile than the US soldiers, easily winning the hand-to-hand combat skirmishes they were now engaged in.

((The figures are basically newer versions of Alethei))

Alethei heard a familiar sound.

The whooshing sound that signaled the imminent approach of a rocket.

Battle training kicked in. Find cover. He dove under the least rotted table as the rocket hit, totally demolishing the upper story of the derelict building. There was an ominous creeeeaaakkk sound. The flames were the least of Alethei's worries; the old, weathered structure had taken more than it could withstand.

It was going to collapse.

His guardian was on his feet, rushing out of the house, dragging the captive. There was a soft, muffled sound coming from him ((Slash)). So the building was of significance to him.

Alethei quickly caught up with him, his feet pounding on the grass. Looking towards the source of the rocket, he saw only a flash of movement, negligible to most, through an unusually bare patch of foliage. He couldn't calculate the speed or direction, so his stun gun was useless. He turned to his guardian, who against all of Alethei's logic was still running, though they were far beyond the reach of the flames by now, even if the fire blazed for an hour. And the attackers had disappeared, apparently satisfied that their job was done.

He caught up with his guardian, and when the man stopped, he did too.

He stood there, impassive as always, awaiting orders at the time they were given to him, no matter how illogical. They were orders, and as such were indisputable.

The matter was trivial. The cause was trivial. What mattered was that he fulfilled his purpose.

Nothing else did.

The craft bore into the hard, cold sand slowly until it broke way and landed in an air-filled tunnel. The cockpit of the craft drained the water contained inside it, which was meant to relieve pressure on the craft as it descended. The tunnel was surrounded by completely hardened limestone. The craft's wings folded up a bit and the craft's hover boosters kept it from hitting the stone as it moved through the tunnel slowly.

((This is just an update on what C is doing. He is completely untraceable in this area of the planet, which is underneath the arctic about half a mile below the bottom of the ocean floor. As you can tell, C is not a man. I'm going to introduce a new character who will explain everything about C later in the RP.))

((Sounds good to me. Axon is more of a sidelines character that avoids attention.))

((Well, I'm going to try to throw him into the attention. He is already known to my new character...))

Name: Kait Samuels

Personality: Her personality is one of a professional manipulator. She can break the will of any human being no matter how strong-willed they appear to be

Specialty: Neurology and Psychology

Faction: Against C

Kait Samuels casually walked toward the group of three consisting of the swordsman, the child, and the immobilized amnesia-case. She was wearing a short black t-shirt, jeans, a black knee-length coat, and over her eyes she wore black sunglasses. Her blonde hair was cut just below the base of her skull, not long enough to reach her shoulders, which curved beautifully with the rest of her figure. She was very slim and appeared younger than she really was. At 5'5", she posed no threat what-so-ever. She wore no obvious weapons, unlike the man with the sword.

She couldn't help but chuckle a bit, her voice was quiet yet defined. "You guys really expect to keep a low profile?" She removed her sunglasses to show her gray eyes, which seemed to have an unusual shine to them. "Good evening, my name is Kait Samuels." She added, she sounded delighted, she even smilled.

Name: Steven McClin

Personality: focused, hard-core, leader, with a gentle side

Specialty: ninja sword fighting techniques,has a pistol 4 shots left,3 grenades also

Faction: against C

Story: A smart ninja fighter who's wife and home was vaporized by C, looking to save the Earth, was a boy scout

Look: buff, Asian, wears army clothes

Were: hiding out in old factory

Alethei turned to look at the figure as she approached. To all appearances, she posed no obvious threat. In Alethei's experience, that meant she was more dangerous that anyone he had ever met so far; his new guardian, the captive at their feet, even the unknown figure with the rocket launcher.

He turned to his guardian, waiting for orders.

"Hmmm," she said, "what are you doing with a child at this hour of the day. Its not a good time to be out right now."

She walked up to the boy and handed him a piece of hard candy, "There you go, its peppermint."

Alethei looked at the strange object. It was smooth, the shape of a sea-worn pebble, but a strange white colour which could only be synthetic. A weapon? A tracking device?

He turned to his guardian again. The woman seemed as much a stranger to him as to Alethei.

Strangers were enemies until his master said otherwise. He took the strange item, crushed it in his palm and let the remains fall to the ground.

((In case you haven't guessed, Alethei was fed a special mixture that provided the optimum balance of nutrients and the minimum of taste - because they tried to stop him experiencing pleasure. In other words, the only food he knows about is tasteless sludge.))

((Sorry, I've been a bit busy/lazy lately :P ))

Slash was confused. The past few minutes had whizzed by so fast. He had been shouting questions at the man on the floor, when all of a sudden the top half of his house exploded. Then out of the blue, this strange lady approaches them and starts handing out candy. This situation just kept getting weirder and weirder.

Slash turned away from the lady and glanced at the burning house. He felt a sting of sadness, but like usual, he kept his feelings to himself. He turned back to the lady, his hand firmly gripping the hilt of his katana, you can never be too cautious . He questioned the lady fiercely, "Who are you and what do you want?"

"Well, is that how you welcome everyone? As I've said before, my name is Kait Samuels." she said to the swordsman in a firm yet unthreatening voice. "Now its only polite that you introduce yourself to me. Atleast that's how the world used to work."

Slash's grip slightly loosened on his katana, the woman didn't seem like she wanted to hurt anybody.

"My name is Slash and I'm sorry for being rude" he said in a calm voice. He pointed to the kid, "This is Alethei and uh, he's some kind of super human, I dunno where he came from, I sorta just found him tonight." He didn't actually know what the kid was, he just knew he was strong, and that someone wants him dead. Then he pointed to the man on the ground, "And this is... Well no one knows, it seems that the kid here knocked the memory outta him."

Slash laughed to himself, he had just realised how funny and odd his situation was. He wiped the smile from his face and came back to reality. He looked the woman in the eye and let the questions on his mind all blurt out "Well Kait, what are you doing here? Do you want to hurt anybody? And most importantly of all, do you work for C?"

She ignored his questions, "Super-human? No, it isn't possible..."

She looked at Alethei a bit closer, "Yes, the resemblance is uncanny. I'm amazed I didn't see it before."

She looked at Slash again then said, "This place is not the best area to discuss what I want to tell you. But I will show you something that will give you a better idea on just what C is."

She was wearing black leather gloves, which went unnoticed before. She bit the end of her right glove with her teeth and pulled it off, revieling, not an arm but a mechanical prostesis. It clasped a fist then spread out then clasped again. She looked at the mechanical marvel on her being.

"Funny what the world throws at you when you are least prepared." she said, then opened a small flap on the arm unsheathing several seringes. She picked one out, then instantly stabbed it into the neck of Alethei, with speed that Alethei couldn't match. He dropped like a rock.

"Don't worry," she said putting the seringe back into her arm then covering the arm with the glove, "it was just a precaution, he's just unconcious. Quite extraodinary isn't he? The best C can create and he is brought down by whale tranks."

She picked up Alethei, "Come on, grab your other friend and follow me. It isn't safe here. I'll explain more when we get to some stable cover. And if you still have doubts about me then consider this, I could have killed you at any time with a single punch. But I didn't, does that answer your question?"

((I'm assuming, then, that Kait's entire arm and some of her chest muscle is prosthetic. A human moving their arm at the speed at which Alethei would dodge would probably break their arm because of air resistance, and if not that, the impact.))

((That's pretty fast...))

Axon stood up to go for another cup of coffee, and a sudden pain shot up his side. He collapsed to the floor and curled up in agony, detaching his mind from his body to ride out the sensation. An eternity later, it finally subsided and he was able to stand again. He looked at the clock on his computer - the attack had lasted a full 12 minutes and 23 seconds. The disease was getting worse. Then again, he couldn't have expected anything else.

He had first picked up the malignant tumour with an improvised rad-scanner a few years back, but he had been unable to do anything about it. All the reliable medical facilities were in C's employ, and he would no doubt be logged and bugged in some way if he visited them. The alternative facilities were more likely to harm him than do anything to stop the tumour. Besides, it was unlikely that his case could even be helped in the first place.

So he was left with no choice but to sit and do his best to oppose C while cancer destroyed his body.

((I'm assuming, then, that Kait's entire arm and some of her chest muscle is prosthetic. A human moving their arm at the speed at which Alethei would dodge would probably break their arm because of air resistance, and if not that, the impact.))

((Then let's say she caught him off guard. At any rate, Alethei is unconcious.))

She ran through a few alleys with Alethei over her shoulder. Slash following, dragging the tied up victim behind him.

An enourmous blast rung through the atmosphere. A sniper round maded its way to the wall behind Kait.

Ayde missed. She knew if she didn't move now, her position would be revieled. She took off into a park.

Kait's guard hightened, but it didn't slow her down. Eventually they came to the bottom of a bridge. The bridge was used to keep the railroad off the river. She walked up to the first pillar and stomped the ground a bit. Then, using her foot, she lifted up a small hatch door covered in grass. She dropped Alethei into the hole then grabbed a ladder and decended slowly.

She shouted to Slash from the pit, "You coming?!"

((

Alethei turned to look at the figure as she approached. To all appearances, she posed no obvious threat. In Alethei's experience, that meant she was more dangerous that anyone he had ever met so far;

Thus, he is on guard. Until Slash, Alethei has never met - or seen - a stranger who isn't trying to kill him, so he'd never drop his vigilance. But it's minor, so never mind.))

Alethei's internal defense systems worked fast, purging the sedative from his bloodstream in a matter of minutes. As this occurred, he became faintly aware of being dropped down a hole onto a relatively hard surface. By the time Slash came down, he was fully alert and could move slightly. He noticed that he had been picked up by the stranger, who evidently supposed the sedative would have lasted longer. He waited for his full strength to return, but before that happened, they stopped.

"Hmm, third generation. He's alert." she said then put Alethei on the ground, which was concrete.

She walked over to a corner of the room and lit some candles. They are in an old Cold War bomb shelter.

She looked at Slash, "I had to make sure what generation he was."

Slash looked confused.

"A yes, sorry. Please excuse me for a minute." she said, taking off her coat. She was wearing a black tank top, the mechanical prostesis wrapped around her shoulder and made up parts of her back ribcage. She grabbed the forearm of the device and began to force it off her body. She struggled to rip the machine off her being. Finally it gave way and separated from the part permanently attached to her shoulder. The arm dropped to the ground, her left arm couldn't hold it. It was incredibly heavy. She took a deep breath, "That's better, I hate that thing. Now, give him a few seconds and he'll fully recover. When he does, command him to stand still, I am almost certain he will try to harm me."