Breaking News: NEOPETS SCAN VIRUS

Ian

Hello everybody,

Thanks much to a few of our members for letting us know about this! There has been a MAJOR "scan" virus going around on Neopets. If you receive a suspicious advertisement on Neopets asking you to let it scan your computer, hit X and do not let it do anything! If you accidentally click it, click "Cancel" on your download. This is spyware/malware and can potentially DESTROY your computer and STEAL personal information stored on your computer!

80_chia_police.gif

I can't believe Neopets is sacrificing their integrity for money... :guiltysmiley:

Thanks for listening,

Ian & The Daily Neopets Staff

My poor pets. My dad will never let me play Neopets if there is a "MAJOR Virus" thing there. :crying:

Our poor computer already has 43 viruses caught and 23 were deleted, and I'm going to add a "MAJOR VIRUS" that will make our computer go BOOM?!

Neopets will lose some of its players if it does'nt fix it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my family, I'm generally the guy called on to get rid of the virus...

I use Firefox and Adblock as well (since I don't restock) but I'm sure Neopets is swamped in complaints by now. It's really up to whoever runs the ads to get rid of the problem - as long as TNT informs advertisers of the problem and tries to stop it/warn everybody about it, Neopets isn't at fault.

wow kinda like the evil guy to the rescue!!! Your not so evil once i get to know you XD(well i can cross off a rival for world domination) *check*

depends..... Is it award winning? cause award winning virus detectors can detext anyrhing I AVG virus detector. IT award=winngin :shiftyeyes_anim:

depends..... Is it award winning? cause award winning virus detectors can detext anyrhing I AVG virus detector. IT award=winngin :shiftyeyes_anim:

I dunno anything except my dad. :sad01_anim:

Umm... Anyway, does IE block ads?

There is an Adblocker extension for IE, but you have to pay for it, unlike the extension for Firefox which is free (and the Firefox extension actually works better).

NOD32 is a pretty good antivirus, and it should be able to handle most problems. I think the best thing to do in this situation would be to hit Alt+F4 every time the ad pops up (this is a 'close' keyboard shortcut that I'm pretty sure people can't hijack).

And hey Jennifer, the whole point to being a mastermind is hiding my ulterior motives. :evil:

There is an Adblocker extension for IE, but you have to pay for it, unlike the extension for Firefox which is free (and the Firefox extension actually works better).

NOD32 is a pretty good antivirus, and it should be able to handle most problems. I think the best thing to do in this situation would be to hit Alt+F4 every time the ad pops up (this is a 'close' keyboard shortcut that I'm pretty sure people can't hijack).

And hey Jennifer, the whole point to being a mastermind is hiding my ulterior motives. :evil:

Cool!

How did you even know these stuff-stuff?

Well I still can't play. :( :( :(

I spend too much time on the computer. XD

Hopefully TNT will have this mess sorted out soon enough.

Guest Guest The RiddleMaster

Just happened to pass by. Seemed like an interesting topic.

My suggestions for any virus/malware of any kind:

1: AVG.

At AVG's site, you can find both an antivirus program and an antispyware. Both are good stuff, though the antispyware is only a trial version which says it expires after a few days (either a week or a month. Don't remember), you can still keep on using it. AVG Antivirus has updates to their database daily, sometimes with larger and multiple updates.

Another good thing about it is that it's free. (As long as you're not interested in the Pro version, that is. Can't see why anyone would want the Pro version anyway. Not too much added to it. The free version covers the needed.)

2: Norton.

I strongly advice against norton. Though it might work well for some, the majority don't think it's a too good program.

3: Spybot Search & Destroy.

This is a good program to use if you want to clear out spyware. Don't remember where you can find it (got it from a CD of which I get once a month), but a quick google will reveal it. It takes care of spyware. If you're interested, the scan-results will also allow you to check the objects individually to see exactly what they are.

4: Ad-aware SE

The name says about what it is to say about it. It takes care of ad-ware. It also takes care of a good ammount of spies.

5: Ccleaner.

This is another goodie. It doesn't take too much of the malware, but it can help you clean your PC. Ever had a program listed in your "Ad/Remove programs" list which you can't seem to get rid of? No more worries. This one takes care of that too. Before you run it, you can also choose what you want it to do, which applications to clean and a lot more. Step 1: Analyze. Step 2: Run cleaner.

To analyze before you run it is a good habit to add. By doing this you will get to see a list of all of what it'll delete if you hit "run cleaner".

It also works as an alternate to the "add/remove programs" tool and "msconfig" (a command which if entered in "Run" will give you access to the processes run under Windows' startup).

6: IE.

Just to mention: It's crap in my eyes.

7: MFF.

Mozilla FireFox = gold?

nope

Diamonds?

nope

I see it as invaluable compared to IE. The Adblock Plus which is mentioned in some previous posts here is worht the money. (Yeah, I know it's free, but whatever. ;) )

Along with adblock, other extensions can be added as well. (Not that it matters in this case...)

I guess that's all I have to say for now.

Regards.

TRM

Well i hope tnt is ashamed for there actions. They always say not to this or that since this is a kid friendly site... Now tnt hired a virus to destroy little kids computer =( they should be ashamed for being a bad role model

ANd the evil guy..... I will have this world before you!!!

Is it safe to go now? I'm missing the advent calendar 'cause of this!

And Jennifer, TNT does not have control over their ads.

just go!!! Sheesh use firefox cause I never had a popup advertisement before O.O

Same here - Adblock is doing a good job of cutting out the problem.

@Jennifer: I'm guessing TNT is going crazy by now - maybe they'll even get a new advertiser?

@RiddleMaster: Norton used to be quite good, but now the program's just totally bloated. CCleaner is an excellent tool, and Firefox shines without anybody praising it. I'd recommend AntiVir over AVG's antivirus, since in my experience AVG hasn't actually done a very good job.

Don't worry there just desperate for money and thursting and abuseing us players with this dangerous virus XD

The advertiser that is, not TNT. Honestly speaking, anybody with the slightest touch of common sense should be able to avoid this virus. Unfortunately common sense seems to be a rare thing these days...

TNT should know by now, what with all the complaints people will be sending in. If they don't know, then there's a serious problem.

IF they knew and ignore it they there offically illgeal. If I a police checked the site neopets will be shut down.... FOREVER... I'm serious

I agree on that, but I'm sure they aren't ignoring it.

There is the possibility that TNT is actually having virus trouble right now...

Maybe were thinking of this the wrong way remeber there are pretty crazy neopet attict in neopets.... What if they hack into adams/TnT account?And then put this virus? I mean it is possible idiots can go so crazy they'll actually do it. Some people were busted and had to go to jail =(.Anyway it could be true

Yes Jennifer, but even if they did hack into Adam's/TNT's account, how would that put a virus in the system? It's not like Adam's account is connected to the database or anything.... Also, I think you should stop suggesting police interference/jail. It's probably just a small problem that can be dealt with easily. I don't think anyone's going to be arrested over it.

Unless, of course, they can track down whoever was responsible for the virus in the first place, which is an incredibly tough thing to do.