Breaking News: NEOPETS SCAN VIRUS

Ian

Hello everybody,

Thanks much to a few of our members for letting us know about this! There has been a MAJOR "scan" virus going around on Neopets. If you receive a suspicious advertisement on Neopets asking you to let it scan your computer, hit X and do not let it do anything! If you accidentally click it, click "Cancel" on your download. This is spyware/malware and can potentially DESTROY your computer and STEAL personal information stored on your computer!

80_chia_police.gif

I can't believe Neopets is sacrificing their integrity for money... :guiltysmiley:

Thanks for listening,

Ian & The Daily Neopets Staff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew that advertisement was not innocent at all!

I have gotten that ad a few times and simply clicked out of it.

Also, I agree with you, Ian. Neopets stated that their are specific staffers or whatever that decide what ads go on their site. Unfortunatly, a poor decision was made.

Wow. I am happy that im a premium member :O

Guest MrNotkewl13

Ha ha ha. Thank God I'm on a Mac.

But, still, I'm technologically literate, so I wouldn't be dumb enough to click it.

Regardless, how dare Neopets be so stupid as to let that get on the site?

Yeah. Just to clarify, don't click 'Cancel' on the dialog box that comes up either. They have their ways on letting that do exactly the same thing as the 'OK' button. Not good, I think you'll agree.

Safety Alert? :yes: Safety Alert.

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about but there's this ad that automatically transfers you to a new page that starts downloading a "malware blocker". Good thing Norton blocks it :P This probably isn't the same ad (no place to click out of) but it's dangerous just the same.

I've already sent a couple of emails to Neopets Inc. in complaint. ;)

Even though they offer me this.... Too lazy too download it XD besides my mom said I can't download anything

If you use firefox as your browser, you can always download "Adblock Plus" - this eliminates all advertisements from the page. It's great, no matter what site I go to, there are no ads. It also stops popups etc.

Yesterday while I was on Neopets a window minimize so I immediately closed it and I didn't get any download request or any virus, but just to be safe it's better if you don't visit the site at all. Even if you click on the "X" it will still download the virus. You can try the CTRL+W (i think this is the shorcut) to close it without having to click on the ad itself.

I got ad's blocked on my computer but still, its pretty irresponsible of Neopets to let such a deadly virus on a site that millions come on each day.

Umm Pardon me but is'nt this Illgeal O.O I mean we now know where the location of the virus.... AH! Nevermind...

Er, um, er, uh..Yeah...

I'm on a MacBook, and I'm a little paranoid of everything. ;o I know maybe the virus wasn't designed for mac most likely, will it affect me?

just say no =/ but I think we should tell the police about this or maybe neopets does'nt know they have a virus in there server O.O

Er, um, er, uh..Yeah...

I'm on a MacBook, and I'm a little paranoid of everything. ;o I know maybe the virus wasn't designed for mac most likely, will it affect me?

Don't worry at all. Your computer is designed so that you will receive a warning once it realizes that you are trying to download a program. Just cancel the download, and all will be fine. Plus, the virus is probably a Windows Executable File (ending in .exe), so you don't need to worry since Macs can read .exe files.

@Jennifer: If necessary(probably not), Neopets, Inc. will inform the proper authorities.

Guest a non a mus

hey all umm welll my :grrr: idiotic sister :grrr: clicked on this :skull: virus :skull: i think and now my comp is acting funny and it keeps poping up a warning box that says somthing about there being spy/malware on my computer how do i get rid of this plz help!!! :(

hey all umm welll my :grrr: idiotic sister :grrr: clicked on this :skull: virus :skull: i think and now my comp is acting funny and it keeps poping up a warning box that says somthing about there being spy/malware on my computer how do i get rid of this plz help!!! :(

lol idiotic tsk tsk tsk now I know how my sister feels...

If you have Norton Antivirus, run it, and have it delete anything that it finds suspicious.

HAHAha waell i feel bad I think i downloaded a super virus in my sis computer when i was little and could'nt turn on XD

In my family, I'm generally the guy called on to get rid of the virus...

I use Firefox and Adblock as well (since I don't restock) but I'm sure Neopets is swamped in complaints by now. It's really up to whoever runs the ads to get rid of the problem - as long as TNT informs advertisers of the problem and tries to stop it/warn everybody about it, Neopets isn't at fault.