Just got a new iMac and a camera

Ian

I guess it is different depending on what type or computer you run Windows XP on. This computer I am using is 10 years old and used to run Windows 98, when it ran Windows 98 it used to freeze, or lock up, all the time. I installed Windows XP about 3 or 4 years back and it has never once locked up or crashed, its just really slow.

((Off-topic thought: I wonder if I changed back to Firefox 1.5 would it run faster than Firefox 2.0?))

I was think of getting a Mac myself. Sell my PC then get a Laptop or something.

One good thing with Mac is that there is more safety. You don't have to worry as much about viruses or Trojans.

Most Viruses/Trojans are made for Windows based computers so that why they're safe. (Though im sure there are some Mac bad stuff)

=D I'm ready to change for a mac...

I thought about it and so far, I never choose my computer. It had always fell from the sky (I mean, from my dad) and it was only PC after PC after PC. And yes, it is always crashing and having troubles. Windows 98 was really a nightmare... and XP can be a pain sometime too. Like I have 2 identity set up on it, and if I switch to the one that isn't admin, it crashes... and then I've to run the sort of time machine of XP to restore my computer. It takes about 30min for the whole thing to be performed. A big waste of time.

So yep, I'm saving for a shiny iMac and it has become an obsession!

(I need a new job though... so I can continue to raise fund and that my dream comes true)

Glad that you enjoy your Mac Ian ;D *Shinyyyy*

Well I wouldn't be able to make the transition between Windows and Mac, I tried a mac one time and got confused. Only one mouse button messed me up because I am always right clicking on Windows.

I tried them at University... that's what we are equiped with, and the only weird thing was the keyboard because some accent aren't at the same place, but that's a thing you can used to easily ;D But the rest is much much much cooler than a PC.

Just thinking of all the free space I'm going to have on my desk is making me HAPPY.

I might switch to Mac when I get a new OS in like, 5 years time. -_- For now my Windows XP is fine. It only crashes when I crash it on purpose.

Everyone's talking about the iMac because it costs over $1000 for a basic one. :/

Even though I said this before in a previous post, I'll say it here. I hate Apple stuff because, basically, it's too expensive. But hey, Ian's one person who can afford that sort of money. (He has a pool. :O)

But to sort of clarify that Mac's aren't, say, God of the computer world: Mac's aren't perfect y'know.

(And on a side note, Mitchell and Webb do the Apple adverts here. Perhaps the best duo to do it, too.)

I'm saving up for a Dell laptop too. I want a bright yellow one ^_^

I went to FutureShop awhile ago to get recomendations on laptops and all the tech guys there seemed to be in love with Apple. According to them iMacs and iBooks are really superior multimedia-wise... but if you're on a budget then you don't really have that option. I have both an older iMac and a PC (my mom is Apple crazy and my dad is the total opposite) and they seem to be pretty equal to me.

There are about 3 people that have Macs in engineering here (my classes) and they are constantly asking how they can get the required software to work on their Macs.. and we laugh at them and say "By getting a PC". I've tried a Mac before and I did find it a bit confusing yet pretty cool, but I don't think I'd change from my PC. Both because I love it (Frankie's his name) and because everything I'm used to using doesn't work for Macs.

@xepha: you will enjoy your new iMac, for sure

@misc penguin: hmmm... that hs not been my experience with macs at all. they never freeze. what kind of mac were you using? the old, ancient kind of macs that you find at schools are often times very poorly equipped. additionally, macs are definitely different than your average windows pc: it's a totally different operating system. it took me about a whole day just to figure out how to organize my mac and how to pull up and install things. it's basically like a new way of life... but a good new way of life... lots of things on macs are drag-and-drop and very simple. it's just logical, which is why i love it.

@dan: camera is a canon elph sd1000 powershot. it's an excellent camera for taking pictures in general; not professional use though. primarily good for taking photos from trips and generic events. you know... avg stuff? :P

I've only ever used the really old Macs that we had in this little side room (off the main PC rooms lol) and they were annoying because they only had about half the software we needed to do any one thing and I had to keep switching back to a PC all the time >.< Yours sounds way better Ian!

@Matt - Are those ads you're talking about the ones with the "PC" and the "Mac" talking to each other? We have those here and they're hilarious!