Hello...Again!

Sorrel

Hmm, so as an existing customer, they've not been trying to get you to upgrade to a more expensive package? That sounds exceedingly un-21st century of them!

Well if they ever sent it in am email, I probably deleted it without opening it. But they've certainly never tried to tempt me on the website itself.

I agree though, it's rather strange that I hadn't heard about this before now. Unless of course, what I actually have is the most expensive one and I have no idea.

Just checked my bank. I pay slightly more than the cheapest so I assume it's that package + taxes. It shall forever remain a mystery.

The only competition that I can think of for Netflix is in the form of Hulu - which, as I understand it, is more about recent/current shows rather than putting up the entire run for your viewing pleasure. I personally don't really keep up with very many shows as they're airing, so Hulu seems pretty useless to me. What if you fall behind, and they take down some of the episodes you haven't watched yet?? 

Dunno. Seems more trouble than it's worth to me, but only because it doesn't cater to my personal viewing habits.

Kind of interesting that no-one's tried to muscle in on their territory then, only a matter of time, I'm sure! I didn't realise Hulu worked like that. Sounds similar to the catch up tv services over here. I'm likely to stick with my Freeview though, and carry on grumping about there being nothing to watch out of 70+ channels...at least the rubbish stuff that I complain about isn't costing me any subscription money :laughingsmiley: (Freeview you pay for up front, either with a box that's pretty cheap(mine old one was about £10) or it's built into new TVs so the cost's going to be part of the purchase price), and as my TV was a gift from my sister, no charge for me.  :woot:

You would think! But I think Netflix (and I suppose Hulu, too) actually fills the niche really well and any competition would have an extremely difficult time trying to break into the market. I think there are a few smaller scaled versions that cater to an even more specific niche (like anime), but they're not as well known and not - to my knowledge - as widely used. I can only even think of that one because I saw it in passing on my friend's smart TV.

Freeview sounds pretty cool though with an upfront cost rather than a month subscription! Takes away the hassle of having to remember to pay/the worry of if you can cover your bills or if you need to get rid of Netflix for a while (for those of us poorer folks).

Yeah, Freeview is pretty good, it gives you access to about 50 radio stations too which is cool (not that I ever remember about that to listen to any of them, lol). I'm just grateful that you can remove channels so they don't display on your listing, so I don't have to scroll through a metric ton of home shopping and adult channels to find something decent to watch. :laughingsmiley:

Oooooh now that is a feature that I would gladly pay some money for. Why on earth don't we have that option over here? I think the closest thing we have to that are parental controls, but that can barely even compare.

Hmm, it's kind of weird that you don't. This is a function on the TV itself and I'm pretty sure that all newer TVs (in this country anyway) have it, I know my mum and sister have the same, at least, lol. So that wide knowledge totally means everyone else with have the same, right? :laughingsmiley: Sucks if US TV manufacturers haven't had the same bright idea.

oh, unless...the US TV networks pay the manufacturers to not add it...conspiracy! :shiftyeyes_anim:

Well to be fair, our TV is a couple of years older so if they've added this to TVs themselves, I definitely wouldn't know. I think that particular function would fall more under the category of service provider though, and I don't think it very likely that they're going to (or already have) add such a useful feature. Who knows though, maybe we'll catch up to yall some day in terms of convenience when trying to watch the telly.