Flash+tablets=possible

mtsparky

So maybe most of you well informed TDNians already knew this but it has been a watershed for me. I am able to play flash games and do dailies on my nexus tablet, sorry have no idea how this works with other devices, using an app named Dolphin Browser. I added some version of flash too when prompted and I can play games and even use the map. It does require one extra click, a gray screen with a play triangle. For games like Kiko Pop you have to choose difficulty before you touch play.

Dolphin still supports Adobe Flash. Adobe stopped supporting/making Flash for mobile devices (tablets, phones) back in 2012, if I remember correctly. That is one of the reasons Google "pulled" (removed) it from Google Play. You can still find the Android version of Flash on Adobe's website and "sideload" it. Dolphin most likely propmted you to download/install the last version of Flash for Android. Many mobile browsers, like Chrome, Firefox and Opera, dropped Flash support, because Adobe no longer supported it. Dolphin is one of the few, that still does. Plus, IMHO, multimedia support (videos/audio/games) can be better integrated into "apps". Puffin, another mobile browser, supports Flash without having to have it installed on your device. They are able to "translate" Flash games/videos from their servers and display the output to Puffin on your device. However, full Flash support requires a paid subscription. Google does not recommend installing Flash on later Android devices (ie Jelly Bean and above), but, IMHO if it works, I'll take the risk. Flash does still seem to work on many Android devices, but do not be surprised if it doesn't work on all or an updated version of your tablet's Android OS. Shockwave games, like "Hannah and the Pirate Caves" and "Gourmet Bowls" may not work, though. Enjoy it while you can! Game on!

Thanks for the technical side of this topic, obviously I dont know such things. I am not much of neopet game player so when i referred to games I meant more dailies like Fashion Fever and Qasalan Expellibox. I also didnt know about Puffin, do you think it will have more longevity than waiting for the latest update to squelch playing flash content on my work tablet? (cough cough ergh, never during work hours of course) I knew dolphin because I previously used it to play amazon prime video content on my Android. Anyhoo, I thought I'd share.

I use puffin and I love it. There are still some games I can't play, but I've never had an issue with any of the dailies. I bought the paid version of puffin so I can use it any time. If I remember correctly it was less than $5 and it has been well worth it. I've never tried dolphin so I can't compare the two.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI. While I have successfully spun and collected rewards for some of the wheels; it seems the wheel of monotony is iffy when using dolphin.

That wheel takes forever to stop - seems to be 1.5 to 2 hours, or something like that. I haven't spun it in a long time, as Flash seems to crash alot on my computer. When it crashes, I have to start over again. Trying the Wheel of Monotony could give mixed results, on a tablet, I would think. If your tablet goes into power save mode, or gets low on memory (RAM), or an app freezes, could cause Flash problems. What happens? Are you able to spin the wheel, but never able to collect after it finishes spinning? Or are you able to collect sometimes? Just curious. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try it.

Just because it has 3 stars doesn't necessarily mean it isn't any good. Mainly because a lot of people don't know how to actually review something properly or at the least don't know not to mark something down because of something they could't figure out for themselves about the app. If something small goes wrong or they can't install it on their device they'll mark it one to three stars in my experiences with apps. Giving an app a low score just because you can't download it is asinine. It's always best to try to get a sampling of the reviews that caused the low star count so you can kinda get a feel for whether it truly deserves a low rating. Nothing says your reviews have to be truthful or anything either and some people will troll on reviews for things just to be a pain in the bum. A good example that I can think of is a Chrome extension where you can change racist and MRA comments on youtube to pictures of cats. Well, the racists and the MRAs and whoever else decided to be whiny babies about the app and they gave a bunch of one star reviews with total lies like 'this app will give you a virus!!! do not download!!' Which meant on the surface the extension seemed to be a bad idea until you saw that so many reviews were trolls given half of them were almost the same fake lying review with just slightly different wording while the other half were real reviews.

Wow, I rambled. But anyways I'm told Puffin is pretty good but I've never used it myself since I don't do a lot of mobile browsing.

Anyone have an app recommendation for a flash browser on iPad? The Puffin one only has 3 stars..

Puffin does have a free version, so you can give it a try. They do limit Flash use during 6 am to 6 pm. However, the Puffin data centers are located in the US, and as your location shows "London, UK", that could be an issue. Certain sites, like the BBC, may not let you view content (shows), if they "see" you from a non-UK IP address, but you could always use Safari for that. There is also Photon Flash Player and iSwifter. Both of those, like Puffin, support Flash based games, but do not have a free version. iSwifter may allow short limited time use, so you can try it before deciding to purchase the "full" version. There is also Skyfire Web Browser, but it does not seem to support Flash based games. I have used Puffin, but not the others, and I like it enough. Not sure how many stars Photon has, but it may be more to your liking. The only downside is Photon doesn't seem to offer a free trial period. I agree with Shane for Wax, for some apps. At least Puffin offers a free version. Even though it is limited to 6 am to 6 pm, you can see if it will meet your needs to decide if you want ot purchase the full version or if it meets your needs during that time period, you don't really have anything to lose. However, if I see an app with more negative reviews than positive ones (seen some on Google Play like that), I will read about the app and read some reviews, both positive and negative, but I will generally stay away from it, especially if it is made by a relatively "unknown" developer. Hope you find this useful.

That wheel takes forever to stop - seems to be 1.5 to 2 hours, or something like that. I haven't spun it in a long time, as Flash seems to crash alot on my computer. When it crashes, I have to start over again. Trying the Wheel of Monotony could give mixed results, on a tablet, I would think. If your tablet goes into power save mode, or gets low on memory (RAM), or an app freezes, could cause Flash problems. What happens? Are you able to spin the wheel, but never able to collect after it finishes spinning? Or are you able to collect sometimes? Just curious. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try it.

Its funny, I've spun the past two days and have been able to collect winnings or rock beatings ... ya no problem losing hp. When I posted before it spun but I wasn't able to collect or maybe it just spun for 12+ hrs (can't quite remember but the quiggle did look at his watch). For some reason my nexus never goes into power save mode when spinning. So best answer is I can collect sometimes