New Nintendo 3DS (XL)

Hert123

Hey everyone!
Recently the New Nintendo 3DS (XL) was released in my country (starting from 170.00 euro's to 200.00 euro for the XL version) and I'm wondering if I should buy it. I currently have the Nintendo DS Lite (3rd generation) and I'm looking for a new handheld console.

Does any of you have this device and would like to share their opinion about it? I'd also like to know if it's better to go for the normal or XL version and what games are good to start with, should I buy the New 3DS.

Thanks in advance!

Love,
Tessa :)

I have a 3DS XL and I absolutely love it! I'm not what I'd call a 'serious' gamer though, I only have PC and DS games- so my opinion may not be what you're looking for. I have Animal Crossing: New Leaf and adore it so so so much. If you like neo it's likely you'd enjoy that game. Have you played AC Wild World? I definitely think it's worth going XL too as it's more immersive :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley:

The 3DS XL is pretty nice. Compared to a normal 3DS-- besides obviously being larger/easier on your eyes, which is a nice perk in itself-- the other main benefit is that the battery life is longer. I'd say it's worth the extra money to get an XL.

Games I bought to go along with my 3DS XL... I can't go into the other room to look right now, as the boyfriend is sleeping, but off the top of my head:

Pokemon X

Pokemon: Gates to Infinity (a great game! I love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, and this one is very emotionally moving.)

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (decent, but not outstanding Zelda game)

Fire Emblem Awakening (awesome game)

Monster Hunter 4 (haven't played this one much yet, but it's supposed to be very good)

Word of warning: the Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL is region-locked. If you purchase the device in Europe, you have to buy European games for it. American (etc.) games won't work, and vice versa. I found this out the hard way when I moved from America to England... my BF attempted to buy me Pokemon Omega Sapphire for Christmas, and it wouldn't work on my American 3DS. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: So don't buy a game from a different region when you're on holiday, or anything like that.

That's my one pretty major gripe with it. To me, region locking is a dated practice that is BS for a bunch of reasons I won't go into here. It's personally the reason why I refuse to buy any more 3DS games (not that I can here anyway; I'd have to literally re-buy myself a European 3DS to replace my identical old one... and that... ISN'T gonna happen.)

But as long as you're not planning on, say, moving overseas anytime soon, you probably won't have to worry about that. I didn't really want to turn this into a region-lock rant, as the 3DS XL is an excellent system aside from that, but everybody who purchases one should definitely be aware of it.

When it comes to New 3DS vs plain 3DS (in either case you should go for XL), the main things the a New has over the basic is the extra set of shoulder buttons and c-stick, the fact that it'll have amiibo comparability, and the neat faceplates you can get for the New.

Beyond that, when it comes to games, 85% of them will be totally identical between the two, 10% will have a handful of extra features related to the extra triggers or amiibos, and 5% of the end total of 3DS games will be New exclusive. None of the New exclusive games will be big name franchises (that is, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda), but they may have some extra features.

If you want the latest and greatest, or you're interested in the faceplates or amiibo collection, I'd go for the New 3DS XL. If you just want a current gen system, a plain 3DS XL will do you just fine for less.

I got a regular XL for Christmas as an upgrade from my original 3DS (it was a release day buy, Christmas iou a few years ago, and three years and 1000 hours of use and abuse were taking their toll on the touch screen) and I adore it, but if the New was released in the US by then I would've gotten it because Nintendo handhelds are my main gaming systems.

Be super careful about New vs regular. Nintendo dropped the ball on names so its confusing, be sure you check that you're getting the one you want when you go to get it.

I have a 3DS XL and I absolutely love it! I'm not what I'd call a 'serious' gamer though, I only have PC and DS games- so my opinion may not be what you're looking for. I have Animal Crossing: New Leaf and adore it so so so much. If you like neo it's likely you'd enjoy that game. Have you played AC Wild World? I definitely think it's worth going XL too as it's more immersive :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley:

I do have a PC, DS Lite, Playstation 3 and Wii. Also on mobile for android & iphone. I have played AC Wild World a little bit, but never really got around to collecting so so many bells to get a house upgrade. Also, the fact that my DS works with a R4 card makes me change my date quite often, which is a bit of a problem with AC!

The 3DS XL is pretty nice. Compared to a normal 3DS-- besides obviously being larger/easier on your eyes, which is a nice perk in itself-- the other main benefit is that the battery life is longer. I'd say it's worth the extra money to get an XL.

Games I bought to go along with my 3DS XL... I can't go into the other room to look right now, as the boyfriend is sleeping, but off the top of my head:

Pokemon X

Pokemon: Gates to Infinity (a great game! I love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, and this one is very emotionally moving.)

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (decent, but not outstanding Zelda game)

Fire Emblem Awakening (awesome game)

Monster Hunter 4 (haven't played this one much yet, but it's supposed to be very good)

Word of warning: the Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL is region-locked. If you purchase the device in Europe, you have to buy European games for it. American (etc.) games won't work, and vice versa. I found this out the hard way when I moved from America to England... my BF attempted to buy me Pokemon Omega Sapphire for Christmas, and it wouldn't work on my American 3DS. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: So don't buy a game from a different region when you're on holiday, or anything like that.

That's my one pretty major gripe with it. To me, region locking is a dated practice that is BS for a bunch of reasons I won't go into here. It's personally the reason why I refuse to buy any more 3DS games (not that I can here anyway; I'd have to literally re-buy myself a European 3DS to replace my identical old one... and that... ISN'T gonna happen.)

But as long as you're not planning on, say, moving overseas anytime soon, you probably won't have to worry about that. I didn't really want to turn this into a region-lock rant, as the 3DS XL is an excellent system aside from that, but everybody who purchases one should definitely be aware of it.

Thanks! I've played Pokemon too, although I don't really have the patience to go through every single one of them. I did play Legend of Zelda on the DS a lot. I really enjoyed those games and have been wanting to play more LoZ games! About the region-locked; yeah, I'm aware of that. I won't be moving any time soon, but I will be travelling a lot in the upcoming 6 months, so I wanted something to do on the road (I won't be driving). But isn't it possible to play region-locked games with an R4card/Flashcard?

When it comes to New 3DS vs plain 3DS (in either case you should go for XL), the main things the a New has over the basic is the extra set of shoulder buttons and c-stick, the fact that it'll have amiibo comparability, and the neat faceplates you can get for the New.

Beyond that, when it comes to games, 85% of them will be totally identical between the two, 10% will have a handful of extra features related to the extra triggers or amiibos, and 5% of the end total of 3DS games will be New exclusive. None of the New exclusive games will be big name franchises (that is, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda), but they may have some extra features.

If you want the latest and greatest, or you're interested in the faceplates or amiibo collection, I'd go for the New 3DS XL. If you just want a current gen system, a plain 3DS XL will do you just fine for less.

I got a regular XL for Christmas as an upgrade from my original 3DS (it was a release day buy, Christmas iou a few years ago, and three years and 1000 hours of use and abuse were taking their toll on the touch screen) and I adore it, but if the New was released in the US by then I would've gotten it because Nintendo handhelds are my main gaming systems.

Be super careful about New vs regular. Nintendo dropped the ball on names so its confusing, be sure you check that you're getting the one you want when you go to get it.

This is something I also wanted to know. The New 3DS XL is about 200 euro's in the store, where I can get a regular 3DS XL secondhand for less than 100 euros. Is it worth the better (?) 3D and extra buttons to spend more money on?

I'd like to purchase a Wii U in some point in the future, so maybe a New 3DS XL can go better with that..

Yeah, the names can be really confusing, although the stores I've been to made it pretty clear.

Thanks everyone for replying :)

I held off on getting the 3DS for a long time and when I finally got one I was so happy I did! I bought mine used , but the person who owned it before me was really careful with it so it was practically brand new! I play all the pokemon games, and I'm looking to branch out and get a few more. I say it's a pretty good investment since you can play all the older DS games as well as some of the neat, new games they're making in 3D. If you don't like the 3D you can always turn it down (or off completely) and you still get to enjoy the newer games. Its worth noting that I have one of the small 3DSs and I really do wish I had gotten the larger one - my reasoning for getting the small one though is that I could fit it into my handbag and take it anywhere more easily. If I can, I might get a new 3DS XL in the future just for home use.

I held off on getting the 3DS for a long time and when I finally got one I was so happy I did! I bought mine used , but the person who owned it before me was really careful with it so it was practically brand new! I play all the pokemon games, and I'm looking to branch out and get a few more. I say it's a pretty good investment since you can play all the older DS games as well as some of the neat, new games they're making in 3D. If you don't like the 3D you can always turn it down (or off completely) and you still get to enjoy the newer games. Its worth noting that I have one of the small 3DSs and I really do wish I had gotten the larger one - my reasoning for getting the small one though is that I could fit it into my handbag and take it anywhere more easily. If I can, I might get a new 3DS XL in the future just for home use.

Do you have any idea if it is possible to use a flashcard for the (New) 3DS XL? I'm willing to spend 200 on the device, but not if I need to spend another 100 for two games!